Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board for 11 and 12 year old.

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

Hello:) I'm looking to get a decent board for my 11 and 12 year old sons, budget of about €400 maximum. We went into the (few) surf shops in Cork yesterday and were recommended a Tama Reef Epoxy board (8'0) in one shop and a Cortez 8' epoxy in another shop. I did some research online and can't find any information on the Tama Reef Board (bar from the shop that is selling it!) As its a big amount of money I want something that will last them until they are confident/good/interested enough to get a short board. Their dad has a 7'6 Bic epoxy board himself, but I have heard bad things about bic and 2 of the 3 places I was in yesterday said to stay away from them! He also lives near a fairly good beach for surfing so I'm hoping that they will get the use out of the board. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

If he's only beginning you'll get a grand board that will suite him for under the 400 mark. Cortez or circle one would be a good brand to start with. Have a look at adverts.ie and you'll probably pick up a mini mal(7"6"-8") for well under the 300 mark or failing that try troggs or king of watersports online ,they have some nice deals on cortez and o shea mini mals with free bags and stuff. Bics are alright to begin with and are practically indestructable but in my opinion they're a bit heavier than other pop outs like cortez or circle one and as he advances he'd probably find it easier to turn and stuff on a lighter board.
    And before any one says about getting a shaper or buy local, I'm only advising online so you can get an idea of the boards and the type of price you should pay and I don't think spending the dosh on a custom board for a 12 year old on a beginner board is practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for the reply, have been away for a couple of days so only saw the reply now. Will check out those websites and adverts Would definitely prefer to spend less than €400!! Thanks very much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

Surfworld and Bundoran Surf Co. have a great selection of boards for all levels and loads of great 2nd hand board aswell!

Advertisement