Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Registry with Irish name?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all,
    I was thinking about telling my solicitor to register my property under my Irish name, but before I do, was wondering if anyone had experience with this or any thoughts about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ebola_Gray wrote: »
    register my property under my Irish name
    Do you use your Irish name usually? As in; do other people refer to you by your Irish name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ebola_Gray

No. My Irish is very poor, besides. And I haven't used my Irish name for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No. My Irish is very poor, besides. And I haven't used my Irish name for anything else.
    The reason I ask is; with a passport, you can have another name on the passport if this is what you're called by others. For example, on the birth cert you may be called Margaret, but if everyone calls you Maggie, and you are addressed as Maggie in bills, etc, you can have Maggie on your passport.

But if not, if you have no examples of having used your Irish name on a day to day basis, you wouldn't be able to have your Irish name on the passport.

And thus I wonder if the land registry works the same way, as you'll be in essence registering another name that you are not known as, as the registered name of the land?

But heck, if you're paying your solicitor, ask them; get your monies worth off them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ebola_Gray

Yeah, I will have to do that. Thanks for your input. :)
    I was seeking to legally use a name that no one knows me by. I doubt if my solicitor would know if I could do that. Hopefully someone has personal experience with this and can tell me how it went for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I doubt if my solicitor would know if I could do that.
    A solicitor is the best person to talk to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement