Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa question?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Myself and my partner are going to Australia (Perth) in January for 3 weeks on a fact finding mission. We effectively want to see the country before we make the move we have a a 7 month baby and want to check out child care, schools etc.

On the visa situation if we go on holiday visa will it prevent me from applying for working holiday visa's if we like what we see. Iv got work organised when I get there thanks to close family friend so ill be sponsored. Can I bring my partner and baby out defecto on the back of my sponsorship?.( ive been told i can)

Has anyone else made the move with kids and families and if so how did they find it.

Look forward to any info,
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

elius wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Myself and my partner are going to Australia (Perth) in January for 3 weeks on a fact finding mission. We effectively want to see the country before we make the move we have a a 7 month baby and want to check out child care, schools etc.

On the visa situation if we go on holiday visa will it prevent me from applying for working holiday visa's if we like what we see. Iv got work organised when I get there thanks to close family friend so ill be sponsored. Can I bring my partner and baby out defecto on the back of my sponsorship?.( ive been told i can)

Has anyone else made the move with kids and families and if so how did they find it.

Look forward to any info,
    Regards

Coming here on holiday visa will have no impact on other visas, unless you overstay on it.

You can't bring dependents in on WHV but if you are getting sponsored its different. Lots of people on here have gone the sponsorship route so I'm sure they'll give more details. I have had to prove de facto status though, that was straightforward enough, just have to produce documents proving you've lived together etc. The fact that you have a kid together should go some way to proving you have valid relationship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi all,

Mod You cannot get a WHV with a child - sorry
    But you mention sponsorship - which is it? You can bring defacto and child on a sponsorship visa - BUT if you apply when in Australia you'll need to get some type of bridging visa to leave Aus .. someone else might clarify this.
    If you intend to apply when you get back after holiday - all good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

hussey wrote: »
    Mod You cannot get a WHV with a child - sorry
    But you mention sponsorship - which is it? You can bring defacto and child on a sponsorship visa - BUT if you apply when in Australia you'll need to get some type of bridging visa to leave Aus .. someone else might clarify this.
    If you intend to apply when you get back after holiday - all good

Even if I'm going out on my own at first? My partner and child would be joining me at a later date!

Even if I'm going out on my own at first? My partner and child would be joining me at a later date!
    You said you and your partner are going out, but, yes you can apply for a WHV, but at no stage can the child be in the country

Also you need to be out of the country for a WHV, so my question is why consider it?

If you are coming over on a holiday visa, you'd have to leave again to apply for a WHV and if sponsorship is an option - why not go for that??

hussey wrote: »
    You said you and your partner are going out, but, yes you can apply for a WHV, but at no stage can the child be in the country

Also you need to be out of the country for a WHV, so my question is why consider it?

If you are coming over on a holiday visa, you'd have to leave again to apply for a WHV and if sponsorship is an option - why not go for that??

Apologies I'm still finding all the various visa sponsors etc a little hard to get my head around.

My plan was to go over on a Holiday visa, Return to ireland and then put the plans in place to return on a sponsored visa (correct term)?.

Though if the sponsored visa was talking to long to organise to go back on a whv so i can start new job and apply for sponsored visa over there. ( is this possible)?

• Advertisement

Apologies I'm still finding all the various visa sponsors etc a little hard to get my head around.

My plan was to go over on a Holiday visa, Return to ireland and then put the plans in place to return on a sponsored visa (correct term)?.

Though if the sponsored visa was talking to long to organise to go back on a whv so i can start new job and apply for sponsored visa over there. ( is this possible)?

100% :D that sounds like a good plan ... but be wary (I know it's your friend) of beinmg offered sponsorship without a contract in your hand

I heard a few stories of sponsorship going wrong etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Why don't you all go on a tourist visa and see if you like the place, and then go home and apply for a General Skills migration visa (providing you qualify).

1000's of people do that every year.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Why don't you all go on a tourist visa and see if you like the place, and then go home and apply for a General Skills migration visa (providing you qualify).

1000's of people do that every year.

Thats the plan..

Advertisement