Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old - bored?

• 13-07-2011 12:24pm

Hi. Is it normal for a 3 month old to be happy just sitting in her bouncer chair doing nothing?

Sometimes she plays with the toys hanging from the rail or looks at me or herself in the mirror but other times she seems to be happy just doing nothing. She literally stares at the wall. Yesterday she nodded off in the chair and I went off to do some things in the other room. At some point she woke up so I put the radio on for her while I finished what I was at. She seemed content just sitting there so I ended up getting some other things done as well but every time I went in to check on her she was just looking at nothing in particular. she was so quiet I kept thinking she must have fallen asleep. This lasted for about an hour.

Is this ok? Should I be giving her more things to do? I don't want her to be bored.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Your baby sounds like a dream child :eek::D

It sounds pretty normal to me? I found it hard with my boy too, trying to figure out if he was bored or not. But it didn't last long :D We got one of those gym things you put on the floor with the arches over them and let him kick, and sometimes he'd focus on the toys swinging about over his head. I can't remember if three months is too young for 'tummy time' where you let them lie on their tummy so they can exercise their neck/arms? You could check that out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Your baby is 3 months old and still everything that he/she is seeing is new and exciting! No your baby is not bored, he/she is just taking the world in. Make the most of this time, soon you really will have to find ways to entertain the little person and its not always easy!

The baby gyms are great. We had the Rainforest one and later bought a Jumperoo. The colours and textures are great for stimulating your baby's senses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd try get a playmat and let your baby lie on the floor for a bit too, they love that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My little fella started showing an interest in his playmate/gym around 3 months. Now he can content himself on it for an hour at a time on a good day which leaves me free to do housework. We also have the rainforest one and it's great.

I remember thinking the same as you op but they only start becoming aware of things around 3 months and then they change and develop really quickly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My little guy was exactly the same OP. Delighted with life in his bouncer. Even his own hands fascinated him. He's very active and adventurous now at a year and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I generally find this rule applies to all babies:

When baby is quiet, laughing, smiling, cooing, staring at the wall, dozing, asleep ---> Baby is happy

When baby is bored, hungry, sad, unhappy
    > You'll know!!!

Enjoy the quiet happy times and please don't be looking for problems when there aren't any!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mariam3105

hi i have a 3 month old 2 and she sits in the bouncer of will play in the play mat for most of the day. she seems quiet content doing that. tg. i don't mind what she does during the day as long as she sleeps at night. although tonight could be diff. she is sick!!

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. I guess she's pretty normal so! I did get her a baby gym though - thanks for recommending that, she really does seem to like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

I generally find this rule applies to all babies:

When baby is quiet, laughing, smiling, cooing, staring at the wall, dozing, asleep ---> Baby is happy

When baby is bored, hungry, sad, unhappy
    > You'll know!!!

Enjoy the quiet happy times and please don't be looking for problems when there aren't any!!!:D:D

Have to agree with this :D

Advertisement