Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backlog in Dublin, or just me?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all.

I have a shotgun and a rifle. And about 2 months ago I applied for a new licence for a CZ 527 in 223 with the Kevlar stock.

I get on great with my local PTB and previously I would drop in the application and within a week or so it would be in Dublin and then maybe a week later Id have my licence in hand.

However this time it got sent to Dublin and has being there now for probably a month and half.

Im worried because when I was passing through a different locality about 2 weeks before I dropped in the new application I had a run in with the local gardai there.

The gun was taking of me (its a very long story) but I got the gun back a few hours later and was told that I hadnt actually broken any laws (well not in those words) but that they'd be keeping an eye on me.

Im worried now is this the reason why my application is taking so long to process, or perhaps genuinely there is a bit of a backlog in Dublin at the moment.

Any advice would be great or a phone number to someone in Dublin who could tell me whats happening. My local AGS (and the RFD agrees) is saying just wait and see what happens, and not to call Dublin because it could be stored away somewhere and someones going to have to go looking for it and he/she wont thank me for it. But my opinion is it should be getting processed and not tucked away under a pile of junk at the back of a filing cabinet somewhere.

And Im just curious here. But what part does Dublin even do with the application? Is your Super not the one who passes it or fails it.

Sorry for the really long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I think they have to give you a response within three months.

I'd ask down your local if they can enquire for you, if you get on well with them they probably wouldn't mind following up on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They have 3 months to process a license s even if you got every other license back within a week they are still within the time frame allowed. I know its easier said than done, but be patient. If there is a rpoblem and tyour relationship with your FO is as good as you say he/she willl make contact and possibly go through an problems with you.
    Arthur. wrote: »
    The gun was taking of me (its a very long story) but I got the gun back a few hours later and was told that I hadnt actually broken any laws (well not in those words) but that they'd be keeping an eye on me
    Im worried now is this the reason why my application is taking so long to process, or perhaps genuinely there is a bit of a backlog in Dublin at the moment.

If you could provide some details then maybe knowing what the situation involved could help determine if it'll have any effect on your new application. Also if they deemed you unfit to have the new one because of this "incident" i'm sure you would have been refused and possibly have had a visit about your remaining firearms. this is only speculation and there actually be nothing wrong at all.

Any advice would be great or a phone number to someone in Dublin who could tell me whats happening. My local AGS (and the RFD agrees) is saying just wait and see what happens, and not to call Dublin because it could be stored away somewhere and someones going to have to go looking for it and he/she wont thank me for it.

They are correct. Technically AGS have another 6 weeks to process your license so ringing them complaining that you haven't gotten word and all the other licenses came within a week or three could annoy them. Best advise really is to wait and see.
    But my opinion is it should be getting processed and not tucked away under a pile of junk at the back of a filing cabinet somewhere.

Its their decision, and unfortunately your opinion plays little to no part in the speed of their actions. Not being a dick, just saying.
    And Im just curious here. But what part does Dublin even do with the application? Is your Super not the one who passes it or fails it.

Yes. Your local Super will pass or fail the application. I'm guessing that all applications go to Dublin for storage of the FC1 or at least a copy of them. It could also be gone up for further inspection.

Really all you'd be doing is guessing. Give is another couple of weeks. If you have not recieved word within the next few weeks then start making calls.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

I hope you didnt get the wrong idea. I just want to call to see is there a problem. Thats all. Im not giving out about why its taking so long. Just if theres a problem, Id like to know about it and maybe see about working on it now, instead of waiting for another 6 weeks.

But yes, you are right, I know myself Im being impatient. But the thought of sitting around for 6 weeks (when maybe a simple phone call could get me on my way today) is killing me.

I dont really want to give too many details on what happened (sorry) but I got in trouble for having a gun in a public place (which had all of 14 houses on a 500 yard stretch of country road) and that the silencer wasnt screwed off either, (the bolt and unloaded mag were in my pocket).

A few hours later at the barrack the Seargent gave me the gun back and said it looked like it was simply a case of us all getting our wires crossed and that everyone got a bit excited for nothing and that its all over and done with and lets not dwell on it, but they'll be writing up a report and keeping an eye on me. Whatever that means?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Arthur. wrote: »
    I hope you didnt get the wrong idea. I just want to call to see is there a problem. Thats all. Im not giving out about why its taking so long. Just if theres a problem, Id like to know about it and maybe see about working on it now, instead of waiting for another 6 weeks.

But yes, you are right, I know myself Im being impatient. But the thought of sitting around for 6 weeks (when maybe a simple phone call could get me on my way today) is killing me.

Not getting onto you. Its not my place for one, but i'm just giving reasons as to why (maybe) there is a delay. Its a pain in the ass having to wait, but give a little more time then consider ringing.
    I dont really want to give too many details on what happened (sorry) but I got in trouble for having a gun in a public place (which had all of 14 houses on a 500 yard stretch of country road) and that the silencer wasnt screwed off either, (the bolt and unloaded mag were in my pocket).

A few hours later at the barrack the Seargent gave me the gun back and said it looked like it was simply a case of us all getting our wires crossed and that everyone got a bit excited for nothing and that its all over and done with and lets not dwell on it, but they'll be writing up a report and keeping an eye on me. Whatever that means?

The mod screwed on or off has no bearing on matters. The only thing they could ASK you is to have the firearm in a slip or case. If the bolt and mag were out you were covered anyway. Its a perception thing. If people see a person with a gun they get all excited and think they're being invaded. :rolleyes: The Garda had a point, but taking the gun was a bit of an over reaction. As said though the mod on of off is of no significance once you have the "S" on your license you are covered. Its the same as saying "why is the barrel of your gun attached> You should have it removed when traveling". Silly really.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement