Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Bib Shorts ... Endura, Giordana, Lusso, dhb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I like Santini. They're available from Prendas.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?typ=typ&ID=5

I have the "Top" ones which are now discontinued, but were £45 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

humbert wrote: »

I have these, really like them. Good fit, nice cut on the panels and the chamois is decent. I have some older DHB shorts which are good, but these are much improved and probably come in 2nd after Assos.

In terms of bang for buck, the margin between these and Assos is narrowing as you can find some good bargains, but I would probably opt for a pair of Aeron Pro and Aeron over one pair of Assos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Recently bought Mavic sprint shorts. Bought large, off the bike the bottoms of the legs are a bit wide, so I nearly sent them back. Once you're on the bike the fit is much better. The chamois is really nice and they aren't the worst looking shorts I've ever owned.

In general I've found the material on the more expensive ones to last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Having had some slight discomfort around my most precious of regions has forced me to take drastic action and consider Lycra.

Having looked around I've come up with these and would like the kind folk on this forum to help me whittle the list down.

Endura FS260 Fieldsensor Bib Shorts

Giordana Classic Silverline Bib Shorts

Lusso Coolmax Pro Gel Bib Shorts

dhb Aeron Pro Cycling Bib Short

dhb Aeron Cycling Bib Short

Any warm and encouraging words to help assuage the feelings of shame at the thought of wearing Lycra are also welcome :(

I have the Giordanas in XXXL, and I find that while most of the fit is ok, the shoulder straps are too long, and I pretty much have to tie a knot in each one or the pad moves around too much. Having said that, with lycra being stretchy stuff, (X)XL would probably be fine on me too, and the size guide at the time just might not have been the most accurate. Anyway, when the pad is in place, they are grand and comfortable on anything up to and a bit over 100km.

I don't have either of those specific dhb shorts, but I have a pair of the discontinued merston bib tights, and the team wiggle shorts, and they are both very comfortable. I have done up to 200km in a single day with each of them, and seemed to be suffering less discomfort than others who had done the same the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I have a pair of Santini winter bib shorts, they're nearly 20 years old and the stitching is only going now. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

They are expensive but I'll be buying another pair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

santini all my long cycles are done in them (club gear is santini as well)

my endura ones are pretty tatty after a couple of years

these are my santini ones
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29164
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=5&ID=1624

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

We're riding club kit made by Giordana - the MC3 pad is good, but on rides over 100km it can start to feel a little light on padding IMHO.

We changed the spec in our most recent order to get the T-select gel chamois and I'm yet to ride a distance or road surface that it didn't still feel comfortable on. Would recommend trying to stretch to this spec if considering buying Giordana and doing longer rides.

FWIW the best shorts I've used so far have been by Pearl Izumi (with 3d elite chamois) or Castelli (with the progetto x2 chamois) - but as with many things you end up paying for what you get the high performance is matched my high price...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Had the DHB Aeron ones.. Sent them back as the quality was really bad compared to some other DHB stuff I have. Felt reallllly cheap.
    Find DHB's sizing have changed a fair bit since last years range.

I've Santini bibtights with a Gel Intech pad. The most comfortable pad I've used but are expensive.

Waiting on a pair of Endura FS260 Pro I ordered from Evans so will let you know how they fare..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanks for all the replies.

No clear winner but it seems to be between dhb and Santini. Santini Max seem to be the successor to the Santini Top as recommended by Lumen and Santini Slice as recommend by ednwireland have something called a TwistGel insert which sounds a little like what CheGuedara was talking about.

I shall think about it and then delve into the quagmire that is sizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I think the Santini Top are (were) a little thin for rough roads, so maybe one of their newer/thicker pads would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the club ones are the top insert they are a bit on the thin side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

LCRC's gear is Santini too & we switched from the Top insert to the Gel Intech this year, some of the guys found the Top insert a bit thin alright, though I found it ok. The Gel Intech is much more comfortable. Also have non-club Santini shorts with a Coolmax insert - not good for long distances. The Giordana shorts linked by the OP are good, though I found the opposite of cython, the straps are almost too short. Material is a bit thicker than the Santini stuff too, so I'd use it as more during spring/autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

These are my current shorts. Well happy with them. Mind you I'm awaiting a pair of boards shorts so the comparison will be interesting.
    my endura ones are pretty tatty after a couple of years
    My previous set were these Enduras. They wore out after about a year.

Advertisement