Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB v Airtricity v Bord Gais

Options
  • 13-07-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Ive spent over an hour now online trying to figure out which of the above provides the cheapest rate but cannot make it out for the life of me. We have no gas at home, everything is electrical (inc damn storage heaters).

Can anyone explain to me which of the above is cheaper.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You willing to get online e-bills and pay direct debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pooper

Yep! If i save more, yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

Hi I tried this last week and I can't find anyone actually quoting prices per unit on the websites. They all claim to save you between 10% and 14% but its all very difficult to figure out. All I can tell you that currently I pay 14.1 cent/unit and I have some leavy of 2.73/month this is with Board Gais

pooper wrote: »
    Yep! If i save more, yep!

Are you with esb now?

Have you a day night meter?

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/elecExisting.htm?execution=e4s1

beatman91 wrote: »
    Hi I tried this last week and I can't find anyone actually quoting prices per unit on the websites. They all claim to save you between 10% and 14% but its all very difficult to figure out. All I can tell you that currently I pay 14.1 cent/unit and I have some leavy of 2.73/month this is with Board Gais

Click on the pricing tab, it shows normal pricing versus the offer pricing

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/elecExisting.htm?execution=e4s1#five

• Advertisement

I was with ESB and moved to Bord Gais but my bill still seems very high. We dont use hot water (shower is electric)

Excuse my stupidness but whats a day night meter, As in do we have a night reading and day reading? If so, yeah we do.

beatman91, thats all i see too. and BG do not show any tariffs!

Excuse my stupidness but whats a day night meter, As in do we have a night reading and day reading? If so, yeah we do.

Yes thats it, so you want "SuperSaver NightSaver"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just checked the prices out for urban nightsaver and ESB were the cheapest, their quoted rates includes a discount of 8% but for some strange reason you have to take an additional 4% if paying by direct debit and another 2% if happy with online billing to get to their final final rate, when you do this you'll see they are the cheapest.
    20 working days to transfer.
    All the above after phoning them up as the web pricing/wording is confusing

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Airtricity?

Nice modding there whoever that was:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Im not sure of precentages but i switched from esb to airtricity recently and i have noticed a decent saving. we have both gas and electricity with airtricity and it works out we pay the same or slightly less for both electricity and gas as we used to pay for just electricity of esb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How do you save more money by a direct debit or paying on line????

I still do the old fashioned way of a few euro off the bills each week in the local post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

bonkers.ie is your friend!

Arent bord gais about to whack on a massive price increase to the gas????

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

paddy147 wrote: »
    How do you save more money by a direct debit or paying on line????

They just give you 12% discount against ESB instead of 10% if you pay by DD.

For OP. I'm with Airtricity for Gas and Electricity. Was paying 0.1227 per KWh, just went up to 0.1325 per KWh for electricity on SuperSaver 24hr.

I'm paying 0.0354 per KWh for the gas on the Smart Saver Duel Fuel ONLINE.

My bills are massive :mad:. Can't figure out the billing system. Airtricity seem to bill me at random??????:confused:

harry21 wrote: »
    They just give you 12% discount against ESB instead of 10% if you pay by DD.

For OP. I'm with Airtricity for Gas and Electricity. Was paying 0.1227 per KWh, just went up to 0.1325 per KWh for electricity on SuperSaver 24hr.

I'm paying 0.0354 per KWh for the gas on the Smart Saver Duel Fuel ONLINE.

My bills are massive :mad:. Can't figure out the billing system. Airtricity seem to bill me at random??????:confused:

Thats all well and good,but if you have a large bill come in,and you dont have enough money in your account for the DD,then dont they add on an extra charge (like a credit card company late payment fee)???

Thats where thre post office method is great,just pay a bit each week and you can manage your money and bills very easily this way.

Thats all well and good,but if you have a large bill come in,and you dont have enough money in your account for the DD,then dont they add on an extra charge (like a credit card company late payment fee)???

Thats where thre post office method is great,just pay a bit each week and you can manage your money and bills very easily this way.

Airtricity give you a payment card aswell.You can pay amounts off it each week in the postie and the balance comes out by DD.if there is no balance there is no DD.

That said in regards to the previous post,their billing system is a bit random to say the least,Despite me submitting meter reads each week.my last 2 bills have been strange.I got billed for an amount,which was then reduced as if by magic after I had paid the bill meaning I was in credit.My next bill issued for a similar amount to the previous one however online,it showed up as being larger than it actually was by the exact amount I was in credit for thus wiping out said credit without benefit to me.

I await there reasons for this with interest.

Thanks all! Good to see all the opinions. I originally went from ESB to BG and now thinking i might switch back and go DD and paperless bills! And see how the next few months go!:)

I would use the payment card only I get paid monthly, so the DD suits! If I was paid weekly I would use the card no doubt.

Regards billing, they bill me out of the blue the last few times, for example I got billed an esb bill the other day for 22 days. The last one before that was 80 days. Same craic with the gas.

The bonkers.ie web site mentioned is quite good actually. It told me that I would save over €100 per year if I change to ESB for electricity and Flogas for GAS.:)

But, the rates quoted are more than what I'm paying at the moment so I must check the standaing charches and find out if they prices/rates on bonkers include VAT or not? Anyone know??:confused:

harry21 wrote: »
    But, the rates quoted are more than what I'm paying at the moment so I must check the standaing charches and find out if they prices/rates on bonkers include VAT or not? Anyone know??:confused:

They have vat included, where the rates on the esb site etc have ex vat rates.

Also for people already with esb you dont have to pay DD if you dont want too, just ring and ask for supersaver plan, but bills can come like normal via post and pay in the post office/billpay outlets etc.

Davy wrote: »
    They have vat included, where the rates on the esb site etc have ex vat rates.

Ya, they do include VAT, but I found that some of them were different to what I was paying anyway. I think I found ESB and Flogas will give me most savings, so I'll be changing soon enough me thinks:D. Must find out if I have a contract or not.

Also, BG are the only ones who tell you what the price increase in August will be. I think Airtricity have applied it already. My last bill was split in two with different tariffs and standaing charges.

So who knows what the electricity cost we be after. And the gas is going up in October, but Flowgas promise to maintain the same % lower price than BG.

• Advertisement

Airtricity are really on a mission at the moment.

Sales stands in every shopping centre on the northside of Dublin today.

Countless door to door sales reps doing the rounds.

I found out that with Airtricity they give you a card that you can use to pay your bill in the post office,if that suits you best.

Airtricity are really on a mission at the moment.

Sales stands in every shopping centre on the northside of Dublin today.

Countless door to door sales reps doing the rounds.

I found out that with Airtricity they give you a card that you can use to pay your bill in the post office,if that suits you best.

Well I did:D tell you that in post 17 above

superg wrote: »
    Well I did:D tell you that in post 17 above

I forgot to open my eyes back there,:D

Thanks.

Paddy... I'll give you mine if you want and you can top me up when your in the local PO :D.

A free trial run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks all! Good to see all the opinions. I originally went from ESB to BG and now thinking i might switch back and go DD and paperless bills! And see how the next few months go!:)

Same as,Thinking of changing back from Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bonkers.ie good website!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Have recently switched from Airtricity to Electric Irl. Simply got worn out trying to figure out Airtricity's billing methods. They always estimated readings despite being given actual readings from both ourselves and the ESB. They f***** up our budget account big time and continued to do so despite countless hours of phone calls to them. They only answered some of our questions and made an effort to resolve the budget plan after we complained to the energy regulator. Their accounting system seems to be designed to confuse their customers at every turn and they are less than giving with information. We have had our gas account with Flogas for many years now switched, from Bord Gais,. They are a pleasure to deal with. Pity they don't to electricity.

Hitbit

hitbit wrote: »
    Have recently switched from Airtricity to Electric Irl. Simply got worn out trying to figure out Airtricity's billing methods. They always estimated readings despite being given actual readings from both ourselves and the ESB. They f***** up our budget account big time and continued to do so despite countless hours of phone calls to them. They only answered some of our questions and made an effort to resolve the budget plan after we complained to the energy regulator. Their accounting system seems to be designed to confuse their customers at every turn and they are less than giving with information. We have had our gas account with Flogas for many years now switched, from Bord Gais,. They are a pleasure to deal with. Pity they don't to electricity.

Hitbit

Absolutely identical story for me. Airtricity bad, ESB ok, Flowgas top notch.:D

Advertisement