Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Buy Strimmers?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi need a strimmers petrol or electric dont matter:) do you know anywhere that u can get a handy enough one for cheap:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

argos have pretty decent selection of both petrol and electric pretty cheap too!
    have a browse through
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=strimmers&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

B&Q have cheap strimmers from about 20 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are cheap strimmers any good? I want to buy one but I would rather spend a bit more on one that will work efficiently. Is there any difference between them? It will have to be light as I could not manage a heavy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

don't get anything from the likes of b+q or woodies type places, they are poor quality, made in china rubbish that will break down after a few weeks. For a good strimmer go to somewhere that sells equipment for professional groundscare contractors, You pay more but what you get will be better quality and last a lifetime, and perform way better.

Good makes are honda and husqvarna and stihl. But beware - there are also DIY models: stay away from these, they are poorer quality and not durable. Get the professional models. More expensive, but worth their weight in gold.
    Keep away from things like Flymo, Black and Decker and Ryobi - utter JUNK

In short: cheap = crap

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Good points, but the professional models tend to be - understandably - the big heavy machines. What is the best option for something lightweight, and is it worth even bothering? I am not talking about massive use, just to keep the lawn edges under control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Well even in the professional grade, there are different sizes. My advice would be to go to one of the suppliers and ask for them to show you some of the machines so you can handle them and feel what suits you best.
    Go to lawnmower dealers in golden pages. Garden centres annd the like don't have the good stuff.
    Also stay away from the electric things -i had to use one once just to trim verges and i'll tell you it would struggle to cut a wet tissue.

Advertisement