Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failover networking system for domestic user

Options
  • 13-07-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Were currently using a standard broadband connection in our house which is not that reliable and has a tendancy to get saturated (I assume) at certain times of the day.

I was thinking as a failover if I could connect a 3G modem into the router as a failover - Is this possible and what kind of equipment would you be looking at.

Also would it be more reliable to wire the machines (a good bit away from the line) via cat 5 or use the cheaper wireless option?

What kind of equipment would be recommended then without breaking the bank.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A failover router of some sort. d-link make one and there is this yoke

http://dualwan.org/failover.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I'd start by calling support for existing provider. If you are using DSL over phone line there is no reason in 2011 you not should very good reliability. You should also check that your router is running latest firmware as you might have an issue there. I would also double check all your home systems are clean from malware/spyware/viruses/etc... I would also check your wireless setup and maybe change your default channel. (I know I lose connection in kitchen when microwave is on!)

For fail-over I use vodafone and their router has an option for a 3G dongle for automatic failover. I had it configured but took it out as my DSL just never goes down but works pretty well.

Advertisement