Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 30 going out alone in Dundalk

Options
  • 13-07-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm in desperate need of an occasional bit of fun in Dundalk. I know I can go to the nearest pub, but what I really miss is the chance to dance a bit now and then. I'm an immigrant, so I'm unfamiliar with the social scene and the right places to go. In addition to that, while I've been in the country a good few years, I was attached until recently, so didn't have a chance to get to know the best places to go to let my hair down and have a good time.

I don't drink, and I'm wary of the clubbing scene: I usually like to be home by 1am at the latest, and the way I understand it that's when people only start arriving. I really just want to go out and relax for a few hours on the nights I have off, and I love and miss dancing.

When I was younger, in another country, I would be able to go to a club by myself, dance my heart out and return home, nobody would faint or otherwise get upset over a girl doing this on her own. I realise this is probably a tough one, but I'm kind of desperate to just lose myself in music in a crowd sometimes, it's a de-stressor like nothing else I've tried. I'm worried to walk into a place and find it's filled with teenagers or something. This is a small town, and I don't want to stand out or look like an idiot.

Any advice or suggestions? I can't travel to other towns, it has to be Dundalk. Are places like Ridley's even open at around 9pm? I have no idea where to even start. I'm considering just going up to a bouncer and asking their advice, they'd know the best place to go, wouldn't they? I've often just gone for a walk in Park Street at night, so wish I could just scrape together the courage to simply walk into one of these places, but I don't even know wich door to try.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I personally hate heading out in Dundalk, though I did like it when there was about 5 clubs around the town.

Rids is the only club in town now and if you fancy paying €15 to go you can head to the dance floor and dance away to your hearts content. Though at the start the dance floor is very empty as everyone is still sober but by the end of the night it is packed.

My advice, join a dance club there is def a few around Dundalk. Head down to Dublin head out there and get the last Matthews home at half 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

Brubakers on Park street is a late bar and that way you'll be able to go in early and go home whenever you like.
    They do have bands playing most Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays with a DJ afterwards until late. They have a good dancefloor too.
    Thursday nights during the college year is generally full of students but the other nights I find are more of an older crowd.
    You can check it out here: http://www.brubakers.ie/ and see what you think.
    For what you are looking for I think you'd enjoy Brubakers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 racingboo

Not1but4 and Norma, thanks for the replies! That's all I needed, and I thank you both. I'll try Brubaker's on Friday night and Ridley's next time I have €15 to spare! :p But I'll also look into dance clubs, I'm sure there'll be some on the net.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Like you I too have duel citizenship and am single in Louth but consider myself 100% Irish,, I find Dundalk people are very approachable, I was on my own there last week and people there were happy to take me into their comapny. I live in Drogheda, It is also friendly, clubs are not the best place to make friends, but Drogheda has a few good clubs for dancing, Dublin is better.

Thanks so much for that advice, I appreciate it. I also found Dundalk people for the most part to be really fabulous. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

aye, ridleys is the only club really, otherwise go to brubakers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Silence re-opens this weekend i think ?? Maybe another option for you.

EDIT
    Can i also throw in the "Morning Star" Cafe in park street ? They have bands/music on on a Saturday night (up until 11) and only tea or coffee in stock.Maybe not what your lookinng for but defo the right kind of people that you are looking for.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Sending a single lassie who wants to dance into Ridleys is like sending Garlic Cheese and Chips into Famine Time Ireland !

Poor girl !

There's a few dancing clubs about the town OP. Personally, you'd be better off with them than heading out alone. Be careful if you do though.

Event, thanks for the confirmation, I'm going to try Brubaker's on Wednesday (I have Wednesday and Friday nights free). 10greenbottles, I'll see if Morningstar is open on Friday night. And MugMugs, you made me laugh! I'll heed your advice and be careful.

I went to Good Time Charlie's last week Wednesday (before getting your much appreciated responses and therefore not having a clue where to head to), but it was only waking up as I left, around 11pm. Someone there struck up a chat with me, and invited me to go to The Wee House later, but I had to make it an early night (I'd usually stay out 'til midnight. I know, I know, that's the time most people just get started, but what can I say, I have things to do during the day!).

I know Wednesday nights aren't the best for going out, but it's what I have. Either way, I'm excited about trying Brubaker's, and one day when I feel very courageous I might even peek into Silence or Ridley's. If I survive, I'll let you know how it went! :)

All this talk about it has me in the mood

*bops*

• Advertisement

Can i also throw in the "Morning Star" Cafe in park street ? They have bands/music on on a Saturday night (up until 11) and only tea or coffee in stock.Maybe not what your lookinng for but defo the right kind of people that you are looking for.:)

I have an unexpected few hours off tonight, 5 to 8pm, and am heading there. Just wanted to let you know your suggestion helped! In case anyone reading this will be there, I'll be the girl who'll probably be working on her laptop or reading a book! :D One day I'll convince myself to go out and not hide behind either of those, maybe then I'll actually make some friends lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

the best 2 bars in ddalk i find are The spiritStore, great for a wee bit of live music, and the Beerkeeper on parke street, but I far and away prefare the spirit store

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

I don't know Dundalk well myself but I have to say the Spirit Store is a superb venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

defo the best spot, really chilled, and nice people, if your into that scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The o.p is looking for venues to go dancing in, cant imagine that being possible in spiritstore or bartender, its basically brubakers or Parkes bar in the imperial or if you like paying €13 into ridleys to hear the theme from cheers, and build me up buttercup:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

indiewindy wrote: »
    The o.p is looking for venues to go dancing in, cant imagine that being possible in spiritstore or bartender, its basically brubakers or Parkes bar in the imperial or if you like paying €13 into ridleys to hear the theme from cheers, and build me up buttercup:eek:

or to hear the famous words from the bouncers " not tonight " :rolleyes:

James__10 wrote: »

Good to hear that nothing has changed so !

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

James__10 wrote: »

I'd reply ....''I wasnt looking for that sort of thing. Just wanna dance.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Then you'd be met with a reply of " maybe next week and could you please step away from the door " :rolleyes:

Given up on dancing, I'm just not managing there. I'm out and back too early, don't really stay up beyond midnight as I practice quite a demanding sport and also have three pre- and early teen kids. I've made peace with having a nice evening out at Spirit Store with my laptop. :) I popped into Corbett's once, I think it's called, and it was not bad at all in there. They also have wifi, which is awesome. Thanks for all the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Peanut_M

If you're interested in learning a specific kind of dance, set dancing would suit you in terms of times. It's a form of Irish dancing and ceilis are on from approximately 9pm to midnight.

It's also great fun! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

racingboo wrote: »
    I'm in desperate need of an occasional bit of fun in Dundalk. I know I can go to the nearest pub, but what I really miss is the chance to dance a bit now and then. I'm an immigrant, so I'm unfamiliar with the social scene and the right places to go. In addition to that, while I've been in the country a good few years, I was attached until recently, so didn't have a chance to get to know the best places to go to let my hair down and have a good time.

I don't drink, and I'm wary of the clubbing scene: I usually like to be home by 1am at the latest, and the way I understand it that's when people only start arriving. I really just want to go out and relax for a few hours on the nights I have off, and I love and miss dancing.

When I was younger, in another country, I would be able to go to a club by myself, dance my heart out and return home, nobody would faint or otherwise get upset over a girl doing this on her own. I realise this is probably a tough one, but I'm kind of desperate to just lose myself in music in a crowd sometimes, it's a de-stressor like nothing else I've tried. I'm worried to walk into a place and find it's filled with teenagers or something. This is a small town, and I don't want to stand out or look like an idiot.

Any advice or suggestions? I can't travel to other towns, it has to be Dundalk. Are places like Ridley's even open at around 9pm? I have no idea where to even start. I'm considering just going up to a bouncer and asking their advice, they'd know the best place to go, wouldn't they? I've often just gone for a walk in Park Street at night, so wish I could just scrape together the courage to simply walk into one of these places, but I don't even know wich door to try.:confused:

I have found The Garden pub (next to Ridleys), and Bru Bakers the two best places for over 30's.
    I hope this helps you.

Thanks, Johnny, though life has changed a lot for me since I posted this and the need to go out is less acute. I've made peace with my evenings out accompanied by my laptop. Still, now and then, it's good to know where you can go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

The Avenue Inn on Avenue road has live music every Sunday night. Lots of people be dancing.

Plus it starts at 9 unlike Ridleys etc so you'll be wrapped up in your bed well before 1. Danced out of course.

Always wondered what that place was like. Any use on a Saturday night? Looks quite rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

MugMugs wrote: »
    Always wondered what that place was like. Any use on a Saturday night? Looks quite rough.

Wouldnt have thought that you would be made too welcome in there unless your wearing a tracksuit:eek:

But I don't have a track suit. :(

Thats that out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Avenue Inn is a great place love it. Was never in it until last year or so and couldnt believe how nice the interior is and staff area great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Avenue Inn is a great place love it. Was never in it until last year or so and couldnt believe how nice the interior is and staff area great as well.

Hahahaha :D:D:D:D

Brilliant! Hope your nose didn't grow by a few feet with all those lies.

The Avenue Inn is an absolute dump and has been for years and I say that as someone who has been drinking in the Ave for years. I love it as it's my local but it's definitely not a place I'd recommend to anybody
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Not rough at all. I have never seen any trouble in the place and I'm drinking in there since 1997

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Not rough at all. I have never seen any trouble in the place and I'm drinking in there since 1997

Mind me asking why you would'nt suggest it so ?

Advertisement