Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in the UK and SORN

• 13-07-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi,

This is probably not Motorhome specific, but if you (an Irish person) buys a motorhome in the uk that is SORN (I.e. not taxed), you cannot drive it on the UK roads to bring it home!

That's insane! It seems, you've to have it transported! Bloody hell!

Merv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

mervifwdc wrote: »
    Hi,

This is probably not Motorhome specific, but if you (an Irish person) buys a motorhome in the uk that is SORN (I.e. not taxed), you cannot drive it on the UK roads to bring it home!

That's insane! It seems, you've to have it transported! Bloody hell!

Merv

I know there are export plates with a zero price temporary tax disc system for new vehicles.

If you (a non resident) are driving the vehicle on UK roads after the DVLA have been advised the vehicle is being exported by filling in the section ‘Notification of Permanent Export’ (V5C/4) of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C), and sending it to DVLA, I expect there is a similar scheme as for new vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

It does'nt seem so!

it seems, I've 2 legal choices.

1. Taxed.
    2. trucked.

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

mervifwdc wrote: »
    It does'nt seem so!

it seems, I've 2 legal choices.

1. Taxed.
    2. trucked.

:-(

Where are you getting your info from. Beware of 'lazy' people giving a 'convenient' answer.

When I was importing new, the dealers (Brownhills and Caravan Rapido) both did not know about the procedure available to drive personal exports out of the UK (in fact you can combine the job with a holiday as you have six months to leave the country).
    It was only after my own research that I learned how it was done and I had to hold the dealers (Brownhills) hand through the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Mervi,
    We imported new vehicles this year from the Uk. Brownhills organised all the exporting details including 6 month road tax while in the UK. Niloc 1951 must have taught them well but all went without any problem.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

U do not have to tax the vehicle, get a letter from the seller, I drove from b.ham to Liverpool dock to get over to Ireland.
    No tax, just insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Hi,

Ah! So if I understand this correctly, once the export part of the V5 has been sent to the DVLA, then a foreign person to the uk (I.e. and Irish person) can drive it to the ferry? I realy wish that was clearer on the DVLA web site! I'l collecting it tomorrow, so there is not enough time to send the export part of the V5 to the DVLA before I arrive and want to drive off. Any ideas on that?

The vehicle is 2nd hand, Does that make any difference? and it's a private seller who's insurance has lapsed, so they cannot tax it (I've offered to pay the road tax).

My research shows the only exception to driving with tax on UK roads seems to be to drive it to an MOT centre or back from one. so I'm bringing my booking details for the NCT centre in Ireland, where I'm booked in for. I know it's not quite the same, but it does show intend/proof of export.

Advertisement