Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa card application trouble

Options
  • 13-07-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I was just looking for somebodies two cents, that might know why I'm in the predicament I'm in. Not that big of a deal but I'm finding it somewhat the head scratcher. Your help and knowledge would be much appreciated.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/credit-cards/affinity-cards/ucd-affinity-card

I applied for a Visa card roughly about two weeks ago. Upon visiting the BOI today I was informed it was declined due to a poor credit rating which was reported by the ICB. I have never had a loan in my life and have never been in debt of any kind. I have a few accounts which are all in quite a healthy state. I have a steady income.

Anyone been in the same boat? I'm hoping to get the Visa card as I've been thinking of emigrating for a year or two.

I came here as dealing with the bank is hard enough at the best of times and getting the answer I'm looking for from icb.ie is nigh on impossible. How can I work this, if it is at all workable?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Unfortunately they have the right to refuse you and not really tell you why exactly. The fact that you have never had a loan went against you as you haven't had a repayment history at all good or bad. Being the state of the banks now no chances being taken, in the good time you would get it without asking.

Just get yourself a Visa debit card, does the same thing really, except no bill at the end of the month. It can be used in the same 65 million outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

See, no loans, no anything - you might have no credit record as such (which the banks can see as poor in itself). With no information to go on, they might have very little to judge your application upon.

Advertisement