Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beaches on the dart line

Options
  • 13-07-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Well, weather's set to be sunny again tomorrow so thinking of heading to the beach...
    Any good beaches on the dart line?
    Howth and Kiliney are the obvious ones but I'd like to try somewhere new...
    Somewhere with a nice beach- not stoney like Bray...

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Dollymount strand would be the obvious one. Portmarnock is very nice too, bit of a walk from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Burrow beach-Sutton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a beach in Howth, and one in Bray. But the one in Bray is full of stones, although there's a funfair summer festival type thingy on there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If your prepared for a walk then Portmarnock is probably the best beach in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The 102 from sutton dart station will drop you off at portmarnock beach, or a 10 minute stroll from there takes you to burrow beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd recommended portmarnock too. You could get the train to Malahide and have a lovely 40 min coastal walk from there to portmarnock, or simply walk about ten mins from portmarnock station.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Dollymount strand would be the obvious one. Portmarnock is very nice too, bit of a walk from the station.

Dollymounts miles away from the dart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

neris wrote: »
    Dollymounts miles away from the dart.

Is it much more than a mile from Raheny DART station? At least it's downhill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Here's a good which beach article for Dublin... I'll stick it on the other beach thread too.

http://www.independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/the-ultimate-guide-to-dublin-beaches-1772748.html

Claremount beach is closest to the Dart on the Northside I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

spurious wrote: »
    Is it much more than a mile from Raheny DART station? At least it's downhill. :)

It's a fair trek to be honest. Don't forget you have to get back after all that sea air.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Here's a good which beach article for Dublin... I'll stick it on the other beach thread too.

http://www.independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/the-ultimate-guide-to-dublin-beaches-1772748.html

Claremount beach is closest to the Dart on the Northside I think.

Claremont is fairly dangerous when the tide is going out, even with a lifeguard around. It's also very flat so takes a while to get to a decent swimming depth. Close to ice creams and more though:)

The article also mentions Balscadden just beyond the far side of the harbour, which has been cleaned up a good bit by some locals since that article was written. Unfortunately, it can attract loads of gurriers who make a mess and generally spoil the buzz. It's a safe beach for swimming too. It is pebbly and not great for sun except during mid summer. Also close to ice creams:)

The Burrow is probably the nicest of the three in Howth/Sutton but not close to anything, even ice creams:( (unless you've got a relly living down there)

There's a few other crackers around Howth but nowhere near the DART.

Advertisement