Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Architects Network

Options
  • 13-07-2011 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Looking to advance my career and to apply for a "IT Architects Network" membership.

More info here and some here .

Anyone managed to obtain them !?
    Any practical advise on "how-to" !?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

u really are a a cowboy of a "consultant" arent you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

"The application fee for the MCA program is US$125. If you are accepted into the program, the fee to appear before the MCA Review Board is US$7,500."
    Pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

mickman wrote: »
    u really are a a cowboy of a "consultant" arent you

Lol! mickman are you following this guy around? Just let it be dude :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    "The application fee for the MCA program is US$125. If you are accepted into the program, the fee to appear before the MCA Review Board is US$7,500."
    Pricey.

Yes, i've seen that myself...

But ,doing a SWOT on getting the certification,Question is what benefits i'll get and what doors becomes open !??
    Surely,the cert itself is just a paper or a recognition of your hard work,high level knowledge,"do it" experience & exposure...but what next !? If that creates a path to a high level ,closed network of profesionals,then it might worth doing it...Also, CCIE costs a lot more than that and still people are doing it...

My issue is that i have to chose Exchange 2010 path as all others are pointless.

I remember back in 90s,we used to get MCPs just to have access to Technet library...

Here is the source that trigered my search on information about certification.

Regards.

I'd imagine it would lead on to a lot of speaking gigs and/or high end consulting.

1. Pay $7,500
    2. Meet MCA review board
    3. ?????
    4. Profit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Depends tbh, what level of the certification do you think you are eligible for?

If it's one of the lower ones, it's probably not worth it, but if it's e.g. Distinguished level you will differentiate yourself.

Two other comments, firstly I don't like that it's product centric, and secondly if you think this is a paper exercise think again. I've an accreditation in my discipline which is similar but involves a fairly rigorous and similar application process, and they will check everything that you submit, your certs, your experience, your references, everything.

Also how recognised is this in Ireland? It sounds fairly new so I suspect it's not well known out there.

Finally, I haven't read all about it, but most good accreditation schemes like this look for Continual Personal Development, where depending on your level of accreditation, you have to demonstrate ongoing improvement every year or you lose it. If it doesn't have that then imo, it has no credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

the guy goes on in another thread about certification being near pointless and then starts one himself - its just comical

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Being really pedantic there is certification be it an MCSE or whatever, then there is accreditation by a peer based network, personally imo accreditation that takes experience and qualifications into account is worth far more.

I get your point about the OP though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Going for MCM in Exchange 2010...but i need the prerequisite exams and certifications in Server 2008/Exchange 2010...that shall take me 1 year at least ! Then ,another 1 year for MCA !

Anyone willing to come aboard !!? Please note that there won't be "training videos with no labs attached" !!

A presume i need 3-4 VMs with Server2008,few Exchange 2007 / 2010,lots of PDFs ,lots of blogging and fun ! Subscription to Technet will come handy here...
    I have to give my wife tonight a last sweet kiss and for my kids...not sure how my wife will explain them where daddy's gone hiding !! :)

Good luck to all of us ...

@Stheno-=> good point with 'Continual Personal Development',also for making the difference between certification and accreditation !

rolion wrote: »
    Anyone willing to come aboard !!? Please note that there won't be "training videos with no labs attached" !!

I'm likely to be starting a sureskills course monday week and then another in September, both server 2008.

• Advertisement
Advertisement