Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Care Work in London ?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Love some advice/info from those working in the social care / social work area in London

I'm a 30 year old woman heading into my final year of a BA(hons) in Applied Social Studies in the WIT. I used to workin the Central Bank but following a 2 year stint of volunteering, most of it in the US with women coming out of prison , I decided to leave my Central bank job for a totally new direction - social care. I have a MBS from Smurfit and PG in stats from TCD.

I suppose I have been always on the periphery of it given that I came from a 'fostering' family and have always volunteered in various organisations.

I suppose I'm in a bit of a quandry about staying in Ireland or heading to London - an Irish based social worker has warned me that the rates of pay are worse there and the career is not as well regarded !

However the opportunities for further study seem fantastic - I would hope to eventually get onto 2nd or third year BA in Social Work or consider doing a MSc in Social Science at Goldsmiths.

Any advice would be appreciated. Yvette

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hi Yvette,

I am a bit confused as to what it is you want advice on...
    Educational opportunities (Masters, I assume as you will have completed your BA) or employment in the social care field?

Social workers can expect a start rate of 27k-30k (sterling) but care work is poorly paid; agency work in social care aid me anything from 7 pounds an hour to 10...

I am a social worker employed in London but have worked in social care prior to qualifying, happy to help....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

to work in socialcare enviroments do you have to have a degree for a care assistant! or could you get in with a diploma

Over here, it is a lot more relaxed than Ireland..you'd do a lot better with degree but would prob have a shot at agency care work with a dip, but not granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Hey i'm living in london at the moment but my girlfriend is doing her masters in UCD and just about to start her final year.

How would she find it moving to london with her masters , what would her pay rates be.

Depends what her masters is in??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

masters in social science

jayroyal wrote: »
    masters in social science

You'll have to excuse my ignornace jayroyal because I am not sure what kind of jobs a person does witha masters in social science..I am guessing it is not quite the care work side of things (for which there is work) but more the policy side?(which I am not sure about!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Just wondering do you have any advice on the best place to look for social care jobs, is there particular agencies that look after this side of things? Enquiring for someone else, whos experience is in community development and charity work back in Ireland.. it seems much more difficult here to find work...

Just wondering do you have any advice on the best place to look for social care jobs, is there particular agencies that look after this side of things? Enquiring for someone else, whos experience is in community development and charity work back in Ireland.. it seems much more difficult here to find work...

The ones I found useful were:
    carefirst.biz (awful website but they got me a lot of work) and
    primetime.

keep and eye on charityjobs.co.uk and third sector for voluntary sector work. Let me know what specifically you are looking for and I can help further with company names etc as I work in the field

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

In the same line, does anyone have any tips for a recent grad looking to start out in social care in London? One of my friends has a Social Science degree (social policy + sociology) and would love to get some decent experience before doing the MSc in Social Work in a couple of years. She's been doing volunteer work for a while now, but is thinking of moving to London. Are opportunities better over here, does anyone know? She's just looking for something with a wage that's liveable and vaguely relevant to social care. As she's just starting out really, any advice you'd have for her that I can pass on would be great!

• Advertisement
Advertisement