Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Year Mechanical Engineering

Options
  • 13-07-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm a mature student trying to get a head start on second year. So could anyone tell me what each of the modules are like, whether the notes for them are online or they have to be got in the print room when we go back, and also which books that are recommended for the modules are actually worth getting and which ones will we definately need? And any other tips. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

Maths- i honestly dont remember what it was about but it was my favourite maths module. mark burke did that, laplace transforms and matrices i think.

Soilds- ya walter stanley i found him interesting and enjoyed his lectures some ppl hate him but i'll leave that up to you. mass moments of inertia Ixx and stuff like that, morhs circle, and torsion. honestly cant remember... the book was Benham and Crawford, dont buy it plenty in the library. you'll find him a hard marker.

Thermodynamics-some ppl get it and others dont first and second laws of thermo are covered and different cycles such as the rankin cycle. Her noted were great and also enjoyed this . book by holman

these are the only i know ye have i think they have chopped and changed the course a bit from there, ya might have materials? but over all it you'll find it difficult compare to first year.

Semester 1

Maths 3 - Tough as always
    Intro to CAD - With Philip Griffin. Long hours but very interesting and no exam at the end. You will have to buy the software around €100, but you will use it again in 4th year and maybe for other projects
    Solids - As Joey said above
    Thermo - Ditto
    Applied Mechanics - Mick Walsh used to do this, as I remember its a b*stard of a subject.

Semester 2

Maths 4 - Might be stats, if it is, its easy (Can't really remember)
    Materials 1 - Boring but easy, cool labs though
    Fluid Mechanics 2 - Tough but slightly easier than Fluids 1. (Takker again though)
    Industrial Organisation - Put you to sleep but easy
    Instrumentation and Control - If you have the same lecturer for this as I had you have no idea whats in store for you. (look through old UL threads, there will be plenty of discussions on the matter)

As for books, you don't need to buy any. I never did and I found that 2nd year was probably the easiest of all the years.
    I will say however to keep on top of the Co-Op placement. I got unnecessarily stressed out over the interviews during 2nd year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Intro to CAD - With Philip Griffin. Long hours but very interesting and no exam at the end. You will have to buy the software around €100, but you will use it again in 4th year and maybe for other projects

what CAD package is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

ProEngineer

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Semester 1

Maths 3 - Tough as always
    Intro to CAD - With John Jarvis not Philip any more. Long hours but very interesting and no exam at the end. You will have to buy the software around €100, but you will use it again in 4th year and maybe for other projects
    Solids - As Joey said above
    Thermo - Ditto
    Applied Mechanics - With Philip Griffin now /B] used to do this, as I remember its a b*stard of a subject.

Semester 2

Maths 4 - Might be stats, if it is, its easy yes it is stats i found it to be the easest maths we did
    Materials 1 - Boring but easy, cool labs though
    Fluid Mechanics 2 - Tough but slightly easier than Fluids 1. (Takker again though)
    Industrial Organisation - Put you to sleep but easy
    Instrumentation and Control - If you have the same lecturer for this as I had you have no idea whats in store for you. (look through old UL threads, there will be plenty of discussions on the matter)

As for books, you don't need to buy any. I never did and I found that 2nd year was probably the easiest of all the years.
    I will say however to keep on top of the Co-Op placement. I got unnecessarily stressed out over the interviews during 2nd year.
    all in all not to bad of a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

easiest year of all, keep the qca middlen high to get co-op,

dont bother wasting your holidays trying to get ahead, not worth the hassel,

4th year is the real deal,

Thermo was the thoughest, her note are non existent, have to take them all down,
    Walter gives excellent notes, so if you do poorly in his exam its your own fault.

fluids is tough, keep on top of ajits craptacular/hand written notes,

Control is easy, easier again as hassan is taking over, theory, one week of study = a1

dont get overly stressed and learn how to pass exams, as in just do past papers, you dont need to know a lot of the stuff in lectures!

if you need help with assignments ask! but im pretty sure there piss easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

zaqwerty wrote: »
    I'm a mature student trying to get a head start on second year. So could anyone tell me what each of the modules are like, whether the notes for them are online or they have to be got in the print room when we go back, and also which books that are recommended for the modules are actually worth getting and which ones will we definately need? And any other tips. Thanks

how hard is 1st Year??

Mature myself taking the plunge as a 1st Yr into Aeronautical (which is all the same, I'm made to believe!!)

any advice welcome........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

@ above, first year mature student.

If you want good solid advice here it is!

To succeed as a mature student, dont be a gowl! through college manies the mature student came and went as quick, they think that because theres this little thing that they dont understand that they must as questions about it! False, if you dont get it, your probably not alone! do a lil research on it and ask the lecturer a few days later if you still dont get it!

Fundamentally, you need to make friends! most mature students came in, asked too many questions, didnt make friends and gave out that they couldnt understand things, they left after one year!
    what you need to learn is how to pass exams, and know what you dont need to learn, you can do this by approaching lecturers towards the end of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

To succeed as a mature student, dont be a gowl! through college manies the mature student came and went as quick, they think that because theres this little thing that they dont understand that they must as questions about it! False, if you dont get it, your probably not alone! do a lil research on it and ask the lecturer a few days later if you still dont get it!

Fundamentally, you need to make friends! most mature students came in, asked too many questions, didnt make friends and gave out that they couldnt understand things, they left after one year!
    what you need to learn is how to pass exams, and know what you dont need to learn, you can do this by approaching lecturers towards the end of the year!

cheers...some nice cold-hard-truths...appreciate it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Helikaon

I disagree with niallofthenine. 'Know what you dont need to learn' is not a point I would agree with. So many students come out of an exam, calling the lecturer every name under the sun, because they expected certain questions, that they had spent the whole week studying. Thats absolute bull from the students. Why should the lecturers gift wrap anybody a degree!
    My point is, if you know everything in the module, there is nothing they cant ask you. So I would say dont take the minimilistic approach. Dont rely on anybody but yourself, and that goes for your lecturers, and class mates (who heard from somebody, that hear from another person that this question is coming up)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

College is about growing up, and part of growing up is learning yourself, I agree with ya on that. Make friends and work as a unit makes life so much easier, ask lecturers quick questions in class but go down after for a more detailed one. That's what I always did anyways.

Advertisement