Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate being right AND wrong...

• 13-07-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Seeing as is getting normal around here this scenario:a user post a issue,then users are assisting him with best guess/experience advices,then OP never ever gets back with an update !
    So,in my case,i manage to spend some time in looking for a reply,but OP never gets back with a response or update,it means to me that i can be right and wrong at the same time !
    Which is no benefit to me and for my time... :)

OP: i have this,i want to do that ,please assist me.

U1:reply1
    U2:reply2
    U3:reply3
    U4:reply4
    OP: ...

There is no intention for any personal injuries or conflicts,but it will be nice if we,the Uxs, can get some feedback and/or reply on chosen solution,i reckon is quite normal at least for a free & friendly advice !

Please correct me if i'm wrong...
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I learned to deal with that a long time ago and just answer the support request, if nothing heard back then ask for an update followed by closing the ticket 2 weeks later. Unless the problem has been reported by a number of people then it is more than likely a rare enough problem so doesn't affect me. Caring too much can bring you down in this job.

At the begining I had some cases whereby user reports very strange problem (makes it sound very urgent etc i.e. including the boss to put pressure on me etc) which I spent hours researching only to find out that the user had done something stupid, realised it and continued on working not letting me know that the issue was resolved. It was hard to remain calm when I came back with a list of things to try only to hear "its fine, everything is ok now".

From what day on I learned the best way to approach support i.e. not to care too much and if you are going to spend time on a support request check back with the user to make sure it is still an issue regularly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it isn't reproducable then it's not a bug

go figure

life is too short to figure out one-off's

how long will it take you to redo the document ? It'll take me at least an hour to do the tape restore , ( you can add that the tape is offsite etc. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

axer wrote: »
    I learned to deal with that a long time ago and just answer the support request, if nothing heard back then ask for an update followed by closing the ticket 2 weeks later.

So support people actually want a reply back? I'd have thought those replys would just be wasting peoples time

Advertisement