Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise estate agents

Options
  • 13-07-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    Myself and my partner are looking to buy a house in the portlaoise/laois area.Prices in the area are very reasonable due to what seems massive oversupply.This issue we're having is the standard of the estate agents in the area(not sure if im allowed name the company),we had a house picked out in what seemed like a nice area a year ago but from there on it has been a disaster with the auctioneer.We cant get any work completed,cannot get contracts,cannot talk in person to the builder,the auctioneer is totally unhelpful and rude and has given us several false dates as to when we can move in which is an awful hassle as we're renting currently.
    We finally decided to withdraw from the sale and look elsewhere but the estate agent refuses to refund our deposit.
    Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

If the auctioneers in Portlaoise you're dealing with are "currently moving office" I believe I know the ones you're talking about. I too am having an awful time in getting back my deposit. Frankly I am appalled at the treatment I have been given.

I have lost count of the number of excuses I have been given, ranging from:

"our accountant lives down the country so unfortunately she's not in today" (I've gotten that one so many times one would wonder does he/she work at all)", "X isn't here today to sign the check", "I'll get X to ring you back as Im not the one who deals with this"(waiting 6weeks for this magic phonecall) and possibly my favourite excuse of all..."we're not able to do bank transfers because we're moving office (we've been looking for our deposit for over two months now, how long does it take to move office???) :eek:

Anyone any ideas as to how to procede? Phonecalls and emails are not getting me and my partner anywhere.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 clearly

contact your solicitor! We have been dealing with the same issue for 3 weeks now and contacted our solicitor last Friday, we have been promised a cheque today, and if we dont get it our solicitor will be taking legal proceedings against them.

Also, lodge a complaint against them renewing their licence with the District Court - advise them of what has happened to you and that way when they go to renew their auctioneers licence next year (they have to do this every year) it will make their life very hard!

I know a few people that worked in estate agents and all have said you should have your deposit back within 3 days! We have got numerous excuses now and have even had the owner hang up the phone on us, they are now refusing to return any phonecalls!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gateshead

Finally got sorted yesterday.We had to push ahead with legal proceedings but once we did it was solved relatively quickly.
    I probably shouldn't have waited so long to do so but i suppose the fear and thoughts of court is a bit overwhelming but i think its the only way in this situation.
    All the phonecalls/emals in the world wont solve it,i suppose they are gaining vital interest off your money so the longer they make you wait the better,also they wont want people pulling out of deals(even if its not your fault) so it acts as a deterrent to others maybe?
    My advice would be to go to your solicitor straight away and dont be scared to go ahead with any legal action...Or just dont shop at DNG Ena loakmans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciarawira

are you looking for any type of house/area inparticular??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mixyfyn

Hi Gateshead, are you from Gateshead? I used to have friends who lived on Coatsworth road. I wouldn't reccommend any of the estate agents in Portlaoise at all. Having had dealings with quite a few of them I think they are all chancers. Loads of houses for sale round here though. What are you looking for?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 gateshead

mixyfyn wrote: »
    Hi Gateshead, are you from Gateshead? I used to have friends who lived on Coatsworth road. I wouldn't reccommend any of the estate agents in Portlaoise at all. Having had dealings with quite a few of them I think they are all chancers. Loads of houses for sale round here though. What are you looking for?:D

Hi, I lived in Gateshead for almost 20 years but moved back home a few years ago.I was going to move down the laois diection but i've changed my mind now.Maybe when they actually want to sell the houses there then ill think about it again.:)

Advertisement