Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 weeks and want to move home....

Options
  • 13-07-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Im 14 weeks today. iv been working for the last 8 months in a busy supermarket. im finding it difficult to save any cash for my baby as my rent is 240 monthly, i feel as though all i work for is rent and food... i was thinking of leaving my job and moving back home with my family as i would not have to pay as much rent...i am living and working 2 hours away from my family and miss them very much. i know if i leave i will not be entitled to any money for up to 8 weeks. and i do not plan on returning here after baby is born.... any advice? xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you asking if you are entitled to receive any social benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Manda21

i think i will be entitled to get some benefits after 8 weeks as i am a single mother...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Manda21

i am finding it difficult to keep up to date wit my rent of 240 monthly when i am only on 20 hours a week, 4 days a week......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What exactly is your question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

But you are not a single mother until after the child is born? Are you planning on giving up work right now or after baby is born?

If you give up work, whether you are a single mum /single dependant, you will be living on less money than 240 euro a week.

You should think about this decision before making it.
    Have you consulted your parents about this? Is there enough physical space for you and baby if you move.

Personally, I could not move back home especially being pregnant, it would definetly be too overbearing for me. I need my space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Manda21 wrote: »
    i am finding it difficult to keep up to date wit my rent of 240 monthly when i am only on 20 hours a week, 4 days a week......

240 a month = 60 a week.

8.65 * 20 is 173 euro before tax, so your rent is a third of your income, leaving you with about 90 euros for the week. Doesnt sound too bad to me.

If you leave your job now, you wont be entitled to any Job Seekers benefit for ~3 Months I think(?), and if you move home, you wont get the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

If you miss your family, feel isolated and have little or no support during your pregnancy, I can totally understand why you might want to move home. Financial concerns are not always the most important thing, although you might want to make sure you have the full support of your family before you make any changes. Also speak to a social welfare officer before you decide, as there is a chance that if you wait it out a bit longer, you may be eligible for Maternity Benefit which is paid at a higher rate than Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance. Are you not getting any assistance at all in saving for the baby from the father?

Treoir are a very good organisation that help unmarried parents:
    http://www.treoir.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

As far as I know you have to be working until 16 weeks before baby is born to be entitled to maternity benefit, which is a higher payment than Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance. I could be wrong about that but it would be worth finding out (As Cat Melodeon suggested). If it is the case then maybe you could try to stick with your current situation, it would only be for another 2 months or so and then get signed off work by a doctor.

I'm open to correction on any of that but that's the way I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

namurt wrote: »
    As far as I know you have to be working until 16 weeks before baby is born to be entitled to maternity benefit
    absolutely. as soon as we realised we were pregnant my OH started looking for jobs near our parents, he got a great job but with immediate start, i was only 16wks gone and left job as we moved 2 hrs away. i am entitled to F all because i left when i did.i wont be entitled to anything until after baby is born in 6 wks time, even then it will be very little. my advice is please please think long and hard about the risks outwaying the benefits, i have litterally been sitting here since we moved, in Feb, looking for work, applying for dole etc.. and there is SO much to buy, a cot, buggy, monitor, moses basket, car seat, bottles, nappies , towles, sponges, a bath etc.
    at 16weeks, i felt fine, not too bad symptoms and could have happily moved back home but now, even though i only see them every few weeks, i realise i could not, NOT live at home.love my family but not when pregnant. :D
    by the way, its increasingly hard to get the dole now if you leave your job voluntarily.

Advertisement