Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Box & USB or external HDD

Options
  • 13-07-2011 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

How compatible are the formats in which Saorview boxes record to external HDDs or USB sticks?

I see there are several Saorview boxes available that record to external memory. I live out of the country and want to put a Saorview box in my dad's spare room and record the same programme block every day with it (Cúla 4 on TG4, for my kids, since you asked :)). The idea would be that my sainted dad, who isn't blessed with the technology gene, would simply have to plug the usb stick out of the box and plug a blank one back in. He'd then post the USB stick to me. I'd then be able to play the programmes on a laptop here.

Any recommendations, workarounds, or other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

This box will do what you requested and is also the cheapest available.

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/digital-tv-adapter-stb-for-irish-digital-service-saorview/714023

Recorded files can be played back on laptop through freeware such as VLC. Can't remember the file format off hand (.mpeg?).

Scheduling programmes to record is fairly easy. You might want to buy a 1 metre usb cable for a couple of euro to make connecting and disconnecting the usb key more convenient as this unit can be placed out of sight behind the tv.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The file format is .ts and it can play on my LG directly using the USB stick, but only postage stamp size for some reason.

The best solution would be to get two units, one for home and one for away as it will work on any TV with a SCART or HDMI connection.

Another suggestion would be to get a 250GByte usb drive and use that. USB sticks do not hold that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

All you need do is to ensure the USB stick is formatted correctly for the receiver ..... any I have seen have a facility to format the USB stick from the menu.

The recorded files should be easily played on a PC, which if required could be used to make DVDs of the files (use DVD RW disks so they can be reused), ........ I have not yet heard of reports of Saorview boxes encrypting what they save ..... but it is something to watch for in the future. You do not want ANY encryption of the saved file/s.

I also agree with the use of USB sticks ..... much easier handle for your father as well as yourself. Use a suitably sized small box for posting.

The USB extension cable is a very good idea (I use one here) as it means that the USB stick can be very conveniently placed for swapping out. It also keeps wear on the USB socket in the receiver to a minimum.

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

snip.... I have not yet heard of reports of Saorview boxes encrypting what they save ..... but it is something to watch for in the future. You do not want ANY encryption of the saved file/s. / snip
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056251299

So I'd avoid some models until this is clarified.

The model mentioned above doesnt seem to encrypt and being unbadged chinese is unlikely to bother with that particular "facility".
    Plays well with VLC or gomplayer.

As well as the usb extension, I use an SD card reader and SD cards. €2 for the reader in euro shops (or €5 from people reselling on adverts:()
    mymemory etc give good value for sd card bundles eg 3x 4Gb, or 3x 8Gb.
    Pick a high speed one (class 6 or 10) for reliable transfer speed and no stuttering.
    SD easier to post than usb.

Wonder is there no way to stream TG4 online for expats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianeanna

Thanks Wil, John Boy, Sam Russell, and Trevor.

Nothing bought yet (as have a pile of DVDs from my last visit!) but will be back in Ireland soon. I'll let you know how I get on with the aged p.

Brian

• Advertisement
Advertisement