Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get chipper style garlic sauce?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where i would get this? The kind you would use on garlic & cheese chips. The only one i've been able to find is a tesco own brand "tangy garlic sauce" but its not near as nice. neither is helmans garlic mayo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭spunk_monkey

Scruff wrote: »
    Anyone know where i would get this? The kind you would use on garlic & cheese chips. The only one i've been able to find is a tesco own brand "tangy garlic sauce" but its not near as nice. neither is helmans garlic mayo.

I make my own..crush garlic in a mortar and pestle and add mayo..if you leave it in the fridge overnight the garlic taste gets much stronger mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Bought this book recently

"The Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast-food at Home"

About 7 euro, loads of receipes for sauces etc, the burger sauce is the nearest to Big Mac sauce you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Bartyman wrote: »
    Bought this book recently

"The Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast-food at Home"

About 7 euro, loads of receipes for sauces etc, the burger sauce is the nearest to Big Mac sauce you can get.

Spill !!!

4 tablespoons mayonaisse (Hellmans)
    2 teaspoons yellow mustard (Frenchs)
    2 teaspoons Ketchup ( Heinze)
    1 tablespoon finely chopped gherkin,

Mix well and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Thanks!!
    Anymore nice ones feel free to post :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I make my own..crush garlic in a mortar and pestle and add mayo..if you leave it in the fridge overnight the garlic taste gets much stronger mmmmm

must try that but would also like to be able to buy pre-made stuff somewhere as well. my steak and chips cant wait till tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Bartyman wrote: »
    4 tablespoons mayonaisse (Hellmans)
    2 teaspoons yellow mustard (Frenchs)
    2 teaspoons Ketchup ( Heinze)
    1 tablespoon finely chopped gherkin,

Mix well and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.

now i know why i dont like big mac sauce: gherkin.
    On yer bike with yer McDonalds foulness! this thread is for my garlic sauce ;)

Not mad on McDondalds myself, but this stuff tastes like the Hellmans burger sauce, which for some reason was withdrawn from sale.

Try this,

Creamy garlic sauce recipe
    Ingredients
    200ml (7fl oz) of milk
    200ml (7fl oz) of chicken stock
    2 tbsp of butter
    2 tbsp of flour
    2 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    salt and pepper

Method
    Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the garlic and fry gently for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 more minute stirring continuously.
    Slowly add the stock and the milk, stirring continuously.
    Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
    Add the chopped parsley and mix well.
    Season to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Heinz do a deli mayo with roasted garlic its about the closest you'll find. I've bought em all. It's in a jar with a black lid. Only place I've seen it is in dunnes, they had it on special offer awhile back for €1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Found this in my local Eurospar - 'Hela' brand. Used to buy it in Germany (fab curry sauce too) but if you don't want to make it yourself, this will be the closest you'll get.

http://twitpic.com/5qefl5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Marks and Spencers do a gorgeous one, Roast Garlic Sauce or Mayo I believe if the title. I love it with pizza! It's often part of an offer on sauces too, I'd recommend the burger relish also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Try this and use a nice mild plain yoghurt like the big Donone activia pot.
    Thats how to get a kind of more runny sauce than mayo.
    Naturally divide the quantity to make a smaller portion

Ingredients:

16 oz. plain cold yogurt
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    salt to taste

Preparation:
    In a small mixing bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Mix well. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

the garlic sauce used in abrakadbra and alot of chippers is made by richer sauces in the north. they are sold in some spars and maces in the south in tubs under the name island sauces. thier garlic and taco sauces are lovely, i used to always buy them when I went up home but can get them in a mace in drogheda now

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

tesco do a lovely one in little tubs near the deli counters usually it's over a euro for a small tub but it is gorgeous, I love it with wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

Has anyone tried the blenders I've seen it used in restaurants before I saw a big jar of it for 10 euro in scallans frozen food company in clonmel but don't know if it would be anything like chipper style.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Two to four tablespoons of mayonaise, several cloves of crushed garlic, freshly picked chives (cut up small), lemon juice and pepper makes a much better garlic sauce.

Whenever I think of chipper garlic sauce, the reason I think it tastes different is because it has been left out in a warm, greasy enviornment. You may well find that that tastes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

the chipper hehe

Advertisement