Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get banoffee pie?

• 13-07-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a place to get good banoffee pie...? Preferably made to order... i.e. you place the order they make it and you come back to bring it home.

I always prefer made to order cakes etc over the supermarket shelved stuff.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Champ wrote: »
    Anyone know of a place to get good banoffee pie...? Preferably made to order... i.e. you place the order they make it and you come back to bring it home.

I always prefer made to order cakes etc over the supermarket shelved stuff.:)

Ivans on the Ennis Rd is fantastic for pies and cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Make your own! its easy and will taste a whole lot better than
    anything you would buy in a shop.

I started making my own Banoffee Pie for the first time in my life
    after hearing the lads in work crib about what the chef served on a friday so a few weeks ago for the first time I decided to try and make my own and brought it to work with me, it went down well.

Bullets Banoffee :)

Takes about 2hrs in total.

You will need:
    1 Can of Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk) (its about 2.50 for a Tin of it)
    4-5 bananna's (tastes a little better if they are almost ripe but not quite)
    Large Tub of cream (Cream is bloody expensive!!)
    Packet of Digestive biscuits
    250-275g Butter (cut a half pound in half and its about right)
    2 Crunchie Bars and a Dime Bar.

Get one of those ring dishes were you can remove the sides or use something like a lasagne dish for the container. They cost about 5-7 Euros
    in Tesco.

Put your unopened Tin of condensed milk in a saucepan of water and make sure its
    almost covered in water. It sounds like a pain but you need to boil it and simmer for 2 hours! Yep 2 whole hours. Making sure you top up the water level. Cover with a lid loosely.

Crush about 3/4 's of a packet of digestive biscuits in a bag with a rolling pin. (Roll over a layer of them in a plastic bag)
    If you do a few biscuits at a time in a flat layer they can be crushed in one go.(Rather than piling them all into a bag and trying bash them)

Melt your 1/4lb of butter or a little more than that 275g maybe in the microwave and mix in the crushed digestive biscuits while the butter is still in liquid form. This is the base which can be put in the dish/baking tray/container etc. Pat this compact (but not too compact) gently the bottom of a pint glass can be used to get a nice smooth base.
    Put this in the fridge while your waiting on your Condensed milk to be ready.

After 2 hrs of boiling the Condensed milk, leave it cool in coldwater.
    Once its cool open the tin and spread the contents over your biscuit base evenly with a spatula. It should look like a jelly like spreadable toffee.

Over this slice your bananas and add a good layer of them covering the toffee layer completely even out to the edges. Its important this is cool
    before adding the cream layer!

Whip your cream to your own liking and cover the banana layer with a layer of whipped cream. (Don't add too thick a layer its the biggest complaint I hear people discuss when our canteen gets it in on a Friday) Also dont use the spray cream its manky.
    And if your too lazy to whip yer own cream and buy pre-whipped stuff (pricey at 4.50) you will still need to whip it a bit as the top
    will be whipped but the bottom part will have settled.

The Fun bit. Bash two crunchie Bars and one dime bar into rough bits.
    Nice little chunks is good but don't powder the things to death.
    Roughly chopped/broken up is good. Sprinkle over the cream. the smaller dust from the crunchie bars can be used to cover anything white! :D

Chill in the fridge and enjoy!

~B

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bullets wrote: »
    Put your unopened Tin of condensed milk in a saucepan of water and make sure its
    almost covered in water. It sounds like a pain but you need to boil it and simmer for 2 hours! Yep 2 whole hours. Making sure you top up the water level. Cover with a lid loosely.

Once its cool open the tin and spread the contents over your biscuit base evenly with a spatula. It should look like a jelly like spreadable toffee.

You can cut 90 minutes out of the prep time if you use a can of toffee sauce. ;)

I used something like this recently. http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/SGN1241.jpg
    The rest of the recipe above is spot on, this sauce just saves time. :)

Cool.

I heard there was ready made stuff but had not seen it in my local shop!
    Must go look in Tesco next time I'm down there.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Cool.

I heard there was ready made stuff but had not seen it in my local shop!
    Must go look in Tesco next time I'm down there.

~B

Almost 100% sure you can get it in Superquinn if Tesco don't have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Thanks folks.

I'll have to see about stopping by Ivans in the near future.

P.S. My baking skills are ummm.... poor hence I'd rather get a professional do it.;)

Sounds fun though and an interesting way to spend a free Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

You can cut 90 minutes out of the prep time if you use a can of toffee sauce. ;)

I used something like this recently. http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/SGN1241.jpg
    The rest of the recipe above is spot on, this sauce just saves time. :)

Ya thats the caramel stuff they have in the tins in the shops, def tesco...its very fancy!!!!! If you'd like a homemade one done for you give us a PM, know the chef does really nice ones :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Maybe the Dessert Gallery in Grove Island is worth a try as well? Can't remember offhand if they do banoffee pie but their cakes are gorgeous!

Nicest banoffee pie I've ever had was in a cafe in Mitchelstown this summer. It was about three inches high, serious sugar crash after it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

making your own is great craic did it recently and it turned out much better then i thought.

bella italia often have their homemade banoffee pie, gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

superquinn bakery is good and do banoffee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 raye

Definately easy to make your own, no real cooking involved other than melting butter. The caramel or toffee sauce is made by the same company that make the condensed milk, I've gotten it in tesco or dunnes. Home made is the best banoffee.

Tried the Tin of pre-made caramel today. Its a bit sweeter
    than just boiling the condensed millk. And I did not have a dime
    bar to sprinkle on top so used crunchie! I left the bits larger
    than normal for a change.

IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

bullets i will buy one of them off you pm me lol

caspa307 wrote: »
    bullets i will buy one of them off you pm me lol

The Joy of banaoffe is it takes Zero effort or baking skills to make yer own one. You just cant go wrong!
    I actually don't like or eat it myself but the other half and all the people in work seem to like it.

Not selling any but brought a few in for the lads in work for the crack.
    bloody hard transporting things like that when your only transport is a bi-cycle and yer peddling like mad in the wind and rain up the road with
    the banoffee at the end of the plastic bag hanging off yer handlebar! praying nothing goes wrong and nothing gets upset during the journey and then some work SNOB's
    (in best Basil faulty voice) decides to snub their nose at it because its not been refrigerated for the entire day or until it comes to 15:30 Tea Break.
    The ungrateful baaaasssstarrrr***s Got to find a way of making it where I dont need to take back the base of the tin.

Some nice throw away rings/tins where you could make mini-portions
    or individual portions without needing to take metal bases back would be great but have not seen any. Very difficult transporting/storing/moviing something where
    a layer is made from something as delicate as whipped cream.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

You can definately get little tubs in tescos cause I used some to make nice sized individual cheesecakes for the bar boot sale recently. Pity no one turned up to buy them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Make your own! its easy and will taste a whole lot better than
    anything you would buy in a shop.

I started making my own Banoffee Pie for the first time in my life
    after hearing the lads in work crib about what the chef served on a friday so a few weeks ago for the first time I decided to try and make my own and brought it to work with me, it went down well.

Bullets Banoffee :)

Takes about 2hrs in total.

You will need:
    1 Can of Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk) (its about 2.50 for a Tin of it)
    4-5 bananna's (tastes a little better if they are almost ripe but not quite)
    Large Tub of cream (Cream is bloody expensive!!)
    Packet of Digestive biscuits
    250-275g Butter (cut a half pound in half and its about right)
    2 Crunchie Bars and a Dime Bar.

Get one of those ring dishes were you can remove the sides or use something like a lasagne dish for the container. They cost about 5-7 Euros
    in Tesco.

Crush about 3/4 's of a packet of digestive biscuits in a bag with a rolling pin. (Roll over a layer of them in a plastic bag)
    If you do a few biscuits at a time in a flat layer they can be crushed in one go.(Rather than piling them all into a bag and trying bash them)

Melt your 1/4lb of butter or a little more than that 275g maybe in the microwave and mix in the crushed digestive biscuits while the butter is still in liquid form. This is the base which can be put in the dish/baking tray/container etc. Pat this compact (but not too compact) gently the bottom of a pint glass can be used to get a nice smooth base.
    Put this in the fridge while your waiting on your Condensed milk to be ready.

Over this slice your bananas and add a good layer of them covering the toffee layer completely even out to the edges. Its important this is cool
    before adding the cream layer!

Whip your cream to your own liking and cover the banana layer with a layer of whipped cream. (Don't add too thick a layer its the biggest complaint I hear people discuss when our canteen gets it in on a Friday) Also dont use the spray cream its manky.
    And if your too lazy to whip yer own cream and buy pre-whipped stuff (pricey at 4.50) you will still need to whip it a bit as the top
    will be whipped but the bottom part will have settled.

The Fun bit. Bash two crunchie Bars and one dime bar into rough bits.
    Nice little chunks is good but don't powder the things to death.
    Roughly chopped/broken up is good. Sprinkle over the cream. the smaller dust from the crunchie bars can be used to cover anything white! :D

Chill in the fridge and enjoy!

~B

am gonna try your recipe over the weekend will let you know how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Made one of these years ago 1st attempt the can of condensed milk blew up and covered the place in a carmel sticky goooo, mess was unreal. Must have had too little water in the saucepan when simmering or else had it boiling rather than simmering......

2nd attempt succeeded tasted great, could'nt believe how easy it was to make:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

was gping to make some today. Have evaporated milk in press, no condensed.

Should I go get some or just carry on (as its almost the same) ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't know if you carried on earlier or not, but I'd say you'd get expert advice more quickly from the Cooking and Recipes forum. Plus you'll get a shed-load of other great ideas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

Ya condensed milk has loads of sugar added and im not sure in what quantities. Youd defo want to check that out and maybe you could add the sugar then? Let us know if it works!!! :D

I found this substitute: http://www.ochef.com/125.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement