Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal for raised beds?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 6:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently using 9 patio planters for spuds and they are starting to degrade after a few years usage (two this year have split!) so I want a suitable replacement that will also look the part.

So this is my solution- http://www.container-gardening-for-food.com/raised-bed-gardening.html

raised-bed-vegetable-garden-2.jpg

I happened to be in B&Q this morning and saw this decking which seems a decent price and was curious would they be ideal for the sides of the raised bed?
    planks.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions on what may be better suited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Poor choice, expect those spruce boards not to last < 3 years in direct contact with soil.

Alternative options (light guage): Larch boards or (Heavy guage): Pine Sleepers.

Larch will last indefinitely and is the superior choice where aesthetics and durability are important factors, albeit be at a higher cost.

You'll get what you pay for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Poor choice, expect those spruce boards not to last < 3 years in direct contact with soil.

I was planning on lining the bed similar to the example I linked to, should minimize any direct contact with the soil so as to pro-long the life of the bed.

Alternative options (light guage): Larch boards or (Heavy guage): Pine Sleepers.

Larch will last indefinitely and is the superior choice where aesthetics and durability are important factors, albeit be at a higher cost.

You'll get what you pay for.

Any suggestions for expected costs for the above suggestions and likely places to purchase them?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

scaffold boards are my raised bed of choice....cheap as chips and in plentiful supply..... 6 boards cost €18 euro down this way and will give you an 8'x4' raised bed - 2 boards high ( 18 inches high-easy on the back:)) treated with preservative and lined as in the pic-they will last a good long while.

there are more expensive options -western red cedar is popular but i could never justify the costs to actually use it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No need to use a liner with Larch. Expect to pay around €10.00 - €13.00 for a 8' length of 9" x 2".

A beautiful finish. Pine Sleepers are around €20.00 for 8'L 9"x4".

Shop around for prices.

Clonee Sawmills, Clonee/Dunboyne stock larch in various sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

is there anywhere they make planks from pvc, i see some places where fences are made of this hard pvc, a few planks of that would be very handy, i would love to get my hands on some, as i am starting on a good sized rockery, there would be little or no mantenance in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

dardevle wrote: »

scaffold boards are my raised bed of choice....cheap as chips and in plentiful supply..... 6 boards cost €18 euro down this way and will give you an 8'x4' raised bed - 2 boards high ( 18 inches high-easy on the back:)) treated with preservative and lined as in the pic-they will last a good long while.

there are more expensive options -western red cedar is popular but i could never justify the costs to actually use it myself.

+1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

scaffold boards don't sound bad, now just need to find some place that sells them down in Kilkenny/Waterford. Anyone know of any places?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Go to adverts.ie and search for scaffold, few ads up there

Advertisement