Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please

Options
  • 13-07-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Can anyone tel me does the guards actually do a medical search for applying for an air rifle licence. Probably a stupid question if they do what do they look for thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

a.j.m1981 wrote: »
    Can anyone tel me does the guards actually do a medical search for applying for an air rifle licence. Probably a stupid question if they do what do they look for thanx

They MAY ring the Doc and ask are you MENTAL and then the Doc will say, I don't know I'm not a shrink!!

They only ring the Doc generally if you are not a local, most of their Intel comes from Highstool warriors with loose jaws ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The law says they can; some MDs have said that they would not accept the firearms application form as it stands as consent to divulge patient information. Whether or not the Gardai do such checks, I don't know for sure. They're supposed to be looking for evidence of "unsound mind or intemperate habits" - ie. depression, alcoholism, etc (and yes, I know those do not strictly mean unsound mind or intemperate habits, but Gardai are not trained psychologists so the entire premise of this is daft to start out with and always has been ever since the Barr Tribunal).

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

:mad:yes the guards do in there own discreiten know off one case guards refused licence because person suffered stress for a period ,got sorted but still denied eventually he got the licence after much incessent calls from said person and docs andf lawyers letters

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

most of their Intel comes from Highstool warriors with loose jaws ;)

:D ha ha +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

had the same thing when i first applied to get my certs. Gard wanted my doctors name:D told him haven't been to a doctor in 15 years { touch wood } never get sick except from colds and such but let them go their course;) so he was abit skeptical and rang round where i live to check LOL he told me later that no one had heard of me:) told him he shouldn't of bothered as i was telling him the truth:p about the doctors. At least he did as ive met some serious characters with licenses :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement