Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet, pretty cheap 70's electric piano - Hohner Pianet T

Options
  • 13-07-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I picked one of these electric pianos up the other week. It's like a lightweight, more portable Rhodes or Wurlitzer. Cost me 350 delivered from France, but they're up on eBay a good bit in the UK going for slightly less or much more depending on the condition/amount of bidders.

I have to say, I absolutely love it. It's from the 70's and uses reeds and sticky hammers. Also, it has no internal amp, hence it's light weight, but it has an output jack so it can be hooked up to an amp or preamp/DI box. Even sweeter, it can be run through effects just like a guitar. I am having so much fun at the moment playing with effects. It's generally referred to as the closest a keyboard can be to a guitar and I'd agree.

It sounds lovely too. There's a site called clavinet.com that sells replacement sticky pads (hammers) for it which they designed themselves. You can get that great Wurly growl from the low notes, and running it through an overdrive and/or leslie sim (like Danelectro Rocky Road) opens up a ton of amazing sounds. Fun with flange too.

Just thought I'd give a heads up. Anyone looking for a proper electric piano (not a digital imitation) and who can't afford the mental prices of Rhodes' and Wulitzers, I'd strongly recommend getting one of these. They used to be available for next to nothing (<100 pounds) but they're becoming more popular lately so are going up in price on fleabay accordingly.

Here's a "cool dude" giving a demo of what can be done with it:

Advertisement