Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock/Soup for stew

Options
  • 13-07-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

What's the best stock/soup to use for beef/lamb stew?

Usually, I actually use the Knorr stew mix. My mother uses beef stock cubes and a little bit of Bisto gravy to make it.

Has anyone got any other ones that I can try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I usually use Beef Oxo for beef stews. It may not be 'foody' but it is what I was reared on & I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Marco Pierre White swears by Knorr stock; who are we mere mortals to reckon that there can be anything better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

nompere wrote: »
    Marco Pierre White swears by Knorr stock; who are we mere mortals to reckon that there can be anything better?

ha, wonder how much he's paid for them ads.

I really can't imagine him in his Michelin Star restaurant, rubbing a Knorr Stock Pot into his steaks.

But anyway, I love them, they are the best shop bought stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I like Oxo and the stock pots. Although when making a beef stew this is usually combined with a can of Guinness or half a bottle of red wine (plus a teaspoon or two of sugar). And a bit of tomato puree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I like Oxo and the stock pots. Although when making a beef stew this is usually combined with a can of Guinness or half a bottle of red wine (plus a teaspoon or two of sugar). And a bit of tomato puree!

A good shake of the Worcestershire sauce bottle helps as well, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I like the Just Bouillon beef stock concentrate. Definitely worth a try.

Browning the beef will add a lot of flavour too. Use a hot pan and do it in batches if you've a lot of meat -so you're not overcrowding and just 'greying' as opposed to browning. Don't forget to deglaze with some stock when you're done and put that into the stew with the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

nompere wrote: »

Just Knorr stock cubes for the sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Aldi's stock cubes are actually very good (particularly the beef), but if you have a day where you're doing nothing but arsing around the house, you should really give making your own a bash. I've made my own chicken stock for ages, but only recently bothered with beef. It's definitely worth it, though. Not to mention cheap*, considering the vast majority of butchers will happily give you the bones for free.

*Not that beef stock cubes are particularly expensive, but you know what I mean!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Aldi's stock cubes are actually very good (particularly the beef), but if you have a day where you're doing nothing but arsing around the house, you should really give making your own a bash. I've made my own chicken stock for ages, but only recently bothered with beef. It's definitely worth it, though. Not to mention cheap*, considering the vast majority of butchers will happily give you the bones for free.

*Not that beef stock cubes are particularly expensive, but you know what I mean!

To be honest, I would have absolutely no idea how to do this or where to start.

I tried Knorr stock cubes today. I used three for enough stock for about 4 people. I found it very watery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

It would be very watery - you didn't add any thickening agent - either the bisto of you original post or the Knorr Stew Mix. If you flour the meat before frying, that will make a thicker sauce, or make a roux and add the stock cubes dissolved in boiling water. Needs a bit of flour somewhere in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I tried Knorr stock cubes today. I used three for enough stock for about 4 people. I found it very watery.

Pretty salty too, I'd say.
    Cut back to one or two cubes and follow minder's advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

How much bisto gravy to add to the knorr stock? I have never made a stew before and don't want to mess it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I use beef Oxo for stews and chicken Oxo for veg soup. I have used the Knorr stock pots in the past and find that I prefer Oxo, again as others have said that is what I grew up with. I did a cookery course last year and the chef said that Knorr stock pots were full of salt and joked about Marco whats his name getting paid a fortune for endorsing.

However, I use 2 beef Oxos to say 400ml so it is a strong stock but I do not use any additional salt in the stew. I flour and season the beef with freshly ground black pepper and brown off the meat etc.

Also I have noticed that TV chefs really lash in the salt when seasoning food in general so I reckon my Oxo stock cubes are okay on that basis.

Agree about addition of Worcester sauce, always good. I also like a hit of hot paprika and plum tomatoes in beef stew. So my house special is kinda beef stew meets goulash. Anyway it is all wolfed down in my house so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Marigold Bouillon. It comes powdered in a tub and it's not as salty or fake tasting as others. Home made is the best but it does take a bit of time. A can of stout always goes well with beef.

Advertisement