Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Captain

Options
  • 13-07-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

And here's the great debate :D

Who, in your opinion, was the best one? Who was your favourite?

Mine is Jean-Luc Picard. Intelligent, moral, passionate about exploration. A diplomat and a mediator. Measure of a Man is all you need to know about him. Of course, me growing up watching TNG helped sway the vote, I also think I like him more because of better storylines and plots. Also easily the best actor in Patrick Stewart.

Second is between Kirk and Sisko. I like them both. Kirks just legendary, Siskos decent enough, but Avery Brooks annoyed me.

Janeway frustrates me. Voyager was a terrible series. Her constant breaking of the Prime Directive and the Temporal Prime Directive, getting past the Borg too easily, her interactions with Q. Her voice, her squeaky clean ship every episode. Bad writing lets her down.

Hated Archer, but then again I hated everything about Enterprise. Too stockish.

Your favourite Captain 71 votes

James T Kirk
    0%
    Jean-Luc Picard
    12%
    Johnny StormSeanWMonaghanPenguinEndaaaaghBodhisophaWolfe ToneItHurtsWhenIPJohnDeeStraight Talker 9 votes
    Benjamin Sisko
    67%
    mewsoSir Digby Chicken CaesarazeziljhegartymarcphistoAntiRipKiithnorrie ruggerFGRGoldsteinFeral MutantT-BirddangojcrowbarIcarasFullOf..ITKojakBlowfishbrian_rbkMinto 48 votes
    Kathryn Janeway
    18%
    VenomTheIrishGroverAmtmannDaithlivinginkoreadon ramoTwigsterEye of OrionCactus ColmLinks234c_manRaging_Ninja1hnr79jr65 13 votes
    Jonathan Archer
    1%
    Kurn 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Benjamin Sisko
    Picard was such a great human that Q, an omnipotent being, basically had an affinity with him for being so much better than the rest of the species. He was human after all, he had flaws and regrets but he managed to do the right thing most of the time and if he didn't you'd be guaranteed that he would reflect like a Greek philosopher on it. Ergo a completely exceptional captain.

Consider this, most of the Starfleet elite are very reminiscent of the American military elite at least in terms of how its portrayed in popular culture, all action, little thought and highly bureaucratic/heirarchical. I'll grant that there are probably Picardian figures in the highest echelons of politics and the military although the impression I get is otherwise, but to come back to Star Trek starfleet was full of people like Captain Jellico, who shouldn't have been let loose across the galaxy, given the diplomatic mess he made with the Cardasians. Janeway was just symptomatic of the Star Fleet elite problem and it wasn't surprising that she was promoted to admiral. Her decisions were often ethically dubious, eg Tuvix, her solutions relied on brute force etc and she played the game of heirarchy.

Kirk was similar but had an independent mind, which was why he was demoted back to captain. Also he was so amazing he could get away with anything, he was the personification of charisma.

Sisko was a standard general, very tough and very much a military strategist. In terms of representing humanity's best interests I'd go for Picard first for his Socratic wisdom and insight, and Kirk second because he just pwned the galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Benjamin Sisko
    I went for Picard, head and shoulders above the rest

A big kick in the balls awaits anyone who votes for Janeway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Benjamin Sisko
    I'm sorry Kirk and Sisko, I love ye but this guy...

"That will be the day!!!!"

QTgZX.jpg

"There are FOUR lights"

CzD9C.jpg

"ha-ha-ha-ha"

D0NvI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Benjamin Sisko
    Picard has a catchy song. He wins.

Rave version:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Benjamin Sisko
    I preferred Sisko as a character, but i picked Picard as the best Captain. It's nothing against Sisko, he's just more of a general, as said above. Picard is who you want representing the Federation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Kathryn Janeway
    Kiith wrote: »
    I preferred Sisko as a character, but i picked Picard as the best Captain. It's nothing against Sisko, he's just more of a general, as said above. Picard is who you want representing the Federation.

I voted Sisko as I thought he was a total badass from season 3 on but now that ye said it, I think ye're right. He is more of a general than a captain. Still, for me, Kirk- Too 60's cliche; Picard- Too touchy-feely; Archer- Too bland; Janeway- Too everything annoying (starting with that voice). Sisko was just a great allround character. Hell, even his kid, Jake avoided being the annoying Star Trek kid.

I mean imagine each captain in turn giving the following monologue (uuuggghhhh Janeway.......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Kathryn Janeway
    Sisko for me too. Picard always impressed me of course, but Sisko was more well-rounded. very charismatic in his own way, and someone who showed other species that humanity wasn't a pushover. In fact, Sisko oozed courage and strength, but was soft spoken when necessary, and tough as nails at other times. In the post-Wolf 359 Trek universe, with the Federation under threat from many quarters, I think Sisko was exactly the type of man you would want to represent the Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Jean-Luc Picard
    Waitaminute!
    Some poor bastid has accidently voted for Janeway - surely it's not beyond our level of technology to be able to go back and edit your vote?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Benjamin Sisko
    Waitaminute!
    Some poor bastid has accidently voted for Janeway

Was probably a woman :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Benjamin Sisko
    Jean Luc Picard is the ultimate representation of mankind - compassionate, honest, intelligent, curious, tolerant, and ocasionally not afraid to throw a punch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Benjamin Sisko
    Has to be Picard here also.
    By far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Benjamin Sisko
    Picard gets my vote, although Sisko would come a close second.

No one had voted for Archer yet. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Benjamin Sisko

johnmryan enters star trek forum noteriety for ever more!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Benjamin Sisko
    Kojak wrote: »
    Picard gets my vote, although Sisko would come a close second.

No one had voted for Archer yet. I wonder why that is?

Because he is a whiny little bitch who constantly gets into fights and loses.

Also, Enterprise had some of the worst writing in the history of science fiction. The stories were full of enormous plot holes, and barely believable plot gambits. Better off forgotten, that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Benjamin Sisko
    Denerick wrote: »

Also, Enterprise had some of the worst writing in the history of science fiction. The stories were full of enormous plot holes, and barely believable plot gambits. Better off forgotten, that show.

Archer was boring. Also I'm sick of American captains so I took an instant dislike to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Jonathan Archer
    Riskymove wrote: »

johnmryan enters star trek forum noteriety for ever more!!!

What can I say. It's that sexy voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Jean-Luc Picard
    Denerick wrote: »

Well said :)

Also, Archer was a moron. He was like George Doubleya Bush in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Jean-Luc Picard
    Captain Kirk for me.William Shatner really played that role perfectly.Apart from captain Picard and Worf i didn't really like the characters on the next generation.So it's Kirk for me with Captain Picard as first officer.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Benjamin Sisko
    Well said :)

Also, Archer was a moron. He was like George Doubleya Bush in space.

Well, he was also like Dr. Samuel Beckett in being a clueless buffoon though somehow judged competent enough to be tasked with a position of incredible responsibility. Dr. Beckett had 7 PhDs and somehow it all worked out for him just as it all works out for Archer even though he makes incredible blunders. My conspiracy theory about Enterprise is that Beckett actually leaped into Archer, who was a future descendent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Benjamin Sisko
    Tremelo wrote: »

lulz, very good :D

Advertisement