Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fast or Slow over lumpy tarmac?

• 13-07-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

I have recently changed my bicycle from a front suspension Raleigh with MTB tires to a Trek Hybrid with 32c's.

Was just wondering what the general consensus was about cycling over patches of road that which is very rough? The type that appears the tarmac was mixed with big stones resulting in it being noticeably bumpy under road tires, but grand with the wider ones. Feels like I'm going over a washboard sometimes :p
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fast is never wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Lumen wrote: »
    Fast is never wrong.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's going to be bumpy with smaller tyres, best is to just get use to it and stay fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I'm not talking about the odd bump or comfort. I'm talking about the really rough washboard stuff. Any need to be careful to avoid damage to tires or rims?

ZCCAOLXAUC.jpg

Tarmac_rough_by_jaqx_textures.jpg

Not sure if this picture captures what Im talking about. If anyone has cycled on the main road passed phibsboro shopping centre, that's what Im talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

You should be aiming to hit the rough stuff at ~50kph, soft hands on the bars and elbows bent, big gear to minimise chain bounce.

About 1 minute in is a good demonstration:
    http://www.wat.tv/video/paris-roubaix-2010-passage-2fbgj_2f1o9_.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

32c tires is still pretty wide, most of the roadies ride on 23c or 25c. I'm also on a hybrid, also 32c tires, and haven't ever got any tire damage through riding through rough roads quickly. Arse damage is something else again mind you, so I'd tend to put more weight on the pedals, elbows bent, and little to no weight on the saddle over rougher sections. I also wear padded shorts, as do most, and wimped out recently and got a sprung Brooks saddle. Only reason I'd slow down on rougher sections is if I felt I wasn't fully in control of the bike, or the pot holes were turning what should be a straight run into a slalom. Or most likely of all, I'm just plain knackered.

I also find keeping more weight on the pedals on rougher ground reduces the risk of inadvertently unclipping when you hit a bump, but then I tend to keep my cleat tension very loose, so this may not pose a problem for most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

There is a section of road between Rathnew and Newcastle that has that really rough Tarmac which goes straight through your bike and into your spine. I find it really difficult to get up any kind of speed on it at all. It's like it just sucks the energy out of my wheels.

Myself and Gasco where struggling along on it last Sunday, feeling very proud to be maintaining a 27kph average, when we were overtaken at a much higher speed by a few guys from Bray Wheelers. Didn't seem to slow them down in the slightest. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Advertisement