Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to work full time emotions

• 13-07-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I went back to work full time a few weeks ago & my one yr old son started in a lovely creche. I know he is well cared for & has loads of fun with all his fellow toddlers, but nothing could have prepared me for the utter despair & depression that I have been suffering all day, every day. I am happy in my job, I would rather work part time but for now that is not an option & I have accepted this, so even though I am rational about the situation I feel a depression & a sadness that is really upsetting. Is this normal???

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Totally normal.

I still feel like that sometimes and I'm 9 months back at work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went back on a 3 day week and still felt utter despair leaving her in an amazing creche 3 minutes walk from the office.
    The 1st few weeks were awful,it gets easier though.
    Dreading leaving 2 of them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have been back at work since April, full time 50hrs plus per week. She was 7 months when I went back and my partner minds her full time.

It tore me apart. I couldn't handle not seeing her for 24 / 36 hrs at a time so I asked for 25 hrs per week at a basic position. I start Monday, can't wait .

I know its not possible for everyone, but I really regret the 3 1/2 months I have missed out on.

I would have always considered myself a work focused person but since she has come along all I thing about is her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

Mrs lynchtp is back to work next week. Any tips?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

be really nice to her:)
    Help her in the mornings and evenings with the baby ,it is really hard getting up getting ready bing baby to creche,going to work,collecting baby coming home looking after baby and trying to make up time with them,going ot bed being woken up by them and then doing it all again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

lynchtp wrote: »
    Mrs lynchtp is back to work next week. Any tips?

One thing that I found helped me was that my Husband took the first day that I was going back to work off so that he could look after our son. It meant that I wasn't getting hit with the double whammy of first day back at work and leaving our son to the creche for the first time on the one day.

It's hard to leave them at first but it does get easier, and my little man loves the creche he's in (sometimes he barely gives me a second glance when i'm leaving), but it's great to know that he likes it there and that he's well taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

Cottontail wrote: »
    One thing that I found helped me was that my Husband took the first day that I was going back to work off so that he could look after our son. It meant that I wasn't getting hit with the double whammy of first day back at work and leaving our son to the creche for the first time on the one day.

It's hard to leave them at first but it does get easier, and my little man loves the creche he's in (sometimes he barely gives me a second glance when i'm leaving), but it's great to know that he likes it there and that he's well taken care of.

Granny (mother in law) has him the monday, I took the tues off. Hoping this will help.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mothere

Hey Guys, thanks so much for the replies. I made it through another week & feel much better, I guess it takes time to adjust & try to fit it all in! But small man loves creche so I think it will be a great experience for him:)

Advertisement