Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to fruit for grazing

Options
  • 13-07-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Rather than eat large meals, I tend to graze on 5-6 small portions throughout the day and top up as I need to (e.g. grab a handful of something when I start to feel tired or out of energy). However, I've gotten a bit lazy over the past few months and now at least 2-3 of those small meals is fruit so the vast majority of my "5 (6 or 7) a day" is fruit based. This is usually when I'm at work and I've a bit bag of fruit with me so it's the easiest option.

Given the high sugar content, I'd like to vary my grazing habits, cut down on my fruit intake a bit and increase my intake of veg & cereals. I've decided to start bringing some brown bread, nuts, popcorn, sliced carrot/celery for mid-morning/afternoon snacks. I was also thinking of making up some breakfast rice and bringing small yoghurt sized pots but that may be a bit awkward in the office. I used to snack on cereal bars but finding ones that don't have load of extra processed sugar is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone have any other delicious/interesting ideas for non-fruit based snacks? Ideally non-fuss/mess as I'll need to eat them at my desk at work - and before anyone says it, yes I know how many germs are sharing my desk with me :)

Cheers,
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Portions of nuts/seeds
    Oatcakes
    Yogurt
    Pre cut veggies with a dip such as hummous or similar (could be put in a lunchbox to prevent mess)
    Cold hardboiled egg

They're not very interesting but are useful snacks for work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You could make your own cereal bars. That way you can put in your favourite flavours, and more importantly, you know the exact ingredients. You can use honey to bind them and add some sweetness. Lots of recipes online.

Advertisement