Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A farmer without a farm!!

• 13-07-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi all,

I use to work on my uncles dairy farm during my teenage years and loved it and now at 30 i would love to get back into farming of some kind but i have no land to my name. Anyone any ideas of services of some kind that would be worth considering in the farming sector?Was thinking about training in a.i and cow scx=anning would this be worth considering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've heard that a leading AI company bring in New Zealand guys to help during the busy season. That's all it is really, a season, lasting 2 months or so. A lot of farmers are trained up in AI too. Not to say you can't do it, but just to let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

bizzyb wrote: »
    Hi all,

I use to work on my uncles dairy farm during my teenage years and loved it and now at 30 i would love to get back into farming of some kind but i have no land to my name. Anyone any ideas of services of some kind that would be worth considering in the farming sector?Was thinking about training in a.i and cow scx=anning would this be worth considering?

everything is worth considering, if you have a passion for something your more than half way there. your first port of call should be to find out what services are required locally, talk to farmers and all the ai companies about services thats required. some ai companies have no ai operator in certain areas, if they take you on this would give you direct contact with farmers and you could then provide a scanning service to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Hi Bizzyb,

Im in the same boat as you - and i think many are. Most who grow up on a farm, all have the longing to one day own there own farm, but this can not be. I am one of 6, and my brother got the farm....i worked every day on it.....and still do when im at home for weekends.
    I have a good job of my own, but still long to own my own land - but at this stage, i am realising it will not happen - land is too dear.
    So , depends on what you are doing at the moment i suppose - can you farm as a hobby - find a job where u get time off to do so? cant think of many oppertunities to make a living from farm related jobs - other then being the owner. A vet maybe - but takes 4 years, and 20 gran a year if your a mature student ...and lots of work (i looked into it!!)

So, think its just the way it is for us!!! Or your unlce might leave farm to you in his will!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I wish it was left to me!
    Its just very frustrating not being able to get involved in something i have a passion for. Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

Hi bizzy b did you ever consider hoof paring, i am dairy farmer & only people doing are frs but too happy with their service, think they might be an opening for a mobile unit

• Advertisement

I wish it was left to me!
    Its just very frustrating not being able to get involved in something i have a passion for. Thanks for all replies.

do something about it, where there's a will there's a way, you control your own destiny, there is no use getting fustrated go out and rent a farm i did it when i was 17.

funny man wrote: »
    do something about it, where there's a will there's a way, you control your own destiny, there is no use getting fustrated go out and rent a farm i did it when i was 17.

I personally dont think that would work...unless you have a good job to pay for the rent of the farm,as well as pay for your everyday needs. Or unless you have support from your parents or something. I have no support from anyone, and am working hard to get by - morgage, food, car etc. I would not personally be able to aford to rent a farm - there would not be any money to be made out of it....and it is a way too expensive hobby? Dont know if buzzyb is in the same boat?

jo

I don't get the whole having a farm for a hobby, i play golf but i don't own a golf coarse.

funny man wrote: »
    I don't get the whole having a farm for a hobby, i play golf but i don't own a golf coarse.

farming is all about pride - begin proud of the land you own, and caring for it, and working on it to improve it. Thats what farming is all about.

Renting a farm ..its not your land...so no mater what work you do on it...or blood and sweth you loose on it...you still have to hand it back to its owner at the end of the day...so pointless really. ....i think.

so funny man, do you still rent the land, as you did when you were 17?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

You could always do as a cousin of mine did and thats head off to Canada
    He bought a lovely farm there for peanuts, only thing is you have to live off what you make on the farm no subsidies or handouts
    but he happy out and doing ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Grecco wrote: »
    You could always do as a cousin of mine did and thats head off to Canada
    He bought a lovely farm there for peanuts, only thing is you have to live off what you make on the farm no subsidies or handouts
    but he happy out and doing ok

Far away fields are green. Most parts of Canada where fellas end up buying land are very remote and farming isn't farming as we know it in Ireland - it is ranching. Winters are very harsh (-30 degrees in many places) and it is a very tough life. I would seriously think long and hard about the above option.

What about renting a few acres and keeping cattle? Build up from your earnings over a few years. Consider a partnership with someone else in a similar situation if you need the funds. No point in complaining about not having land - work around it. There is high demand for beef at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

jocotty wrote: »
    farming is all about pride - begin proud of the land you own, and caring for it, and working on it to improve it. Thats what farming is all about.

Renting a farm ..its not your land...so no mater what work you do on it...or blood and sweth you loose on it...you still have to hand it back to its owner at the end of the day...so pointless really. ....i think.

so funny man, do you still rent the land, as you did when you were 17?
    no, farming is about making a living and hopefully will be again if these subsidies go and renting is too anything you do to it should be factored into the overall cost of renting.

keep going wrote: »
    no, farming is about making a living and hopefully will be again if these subsidies go and renting is too anything you do to it should be factored into the overall cost of renting.

yes, there is a living to be made from farming - my brother is doing it, and doing resonable well....but he was left the family farm - got it for free!!! however, we'r talking here about buying a farm (ie - "farmer without a farm")- your talking about 600,000 euro for any decent sized farm - and do you think you can manage to pay back the repayments for 600,000 euro, as well as live comfortable from what you would make on a farm - not a hope!!! This thread is about a man who has no farm - not about if a living can be made by a man with a farm!

Jo

What about renting a few acres and keeping cattle? Build up from your earnings over a few years. Consider a partnership with someone else in a similar situation if you need the funds. No point in complaining about not having land - work around it. There is high demand for beef at the moment.

Do you really think you would make money on that?? If so, then thats prob the best option? But i have my doubts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Far away fields are green. Most parts of Canada where fellas end up buying land are very remote and farming isn't farming as we know it in Ireland - it is ranching. Winters are very harsh (-30 degrees in many places) and it is a very tough life. I would seriously think long and hard about the above option.

True enough, he farms over 500ac but thats only the average you`d need over there. As for the fields been greener :D definitely not the case, he reckons that the grass growth over there is only about a third of what it is here
    But he really wanted to farm and renting or buying wasn't an option as the prices are crazy.
    As I say he`s happy out but it wouldn't be for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

jocotty wrote: »
    Do you really think you would make money on that?? If so, then thats prob the best option? But i have my doubts?
    You would have to work out how feasible it would be taking into account the cost of the land, predicted feed cost, predicted cost of buying young cattle, and at what stage it would be feasible for you to sell on. If done right and well planned there is no reason why you can't make a profit. You could consider buying bull calves and keeping them for a year and then selling off again. They grow the fastest and will make the quickest profit. However, you would need proper fencing, a good crush etc. The overall investment is heavy and that is probably your biggest problem starting from nothing. That is why I suggested a partnership. You could get into AI, relief milking etc as well which will help subsidize the income. At this stage, you wouldn't want all your eggs in the one basket.

Maybe you could also consider an evening agricultural course? I hear a lot of the ag colleges are putting on extra classes this year to meet the new demand for guys like yourself thinking of getting into farming. They cover a lot of topics like budget planning, profit margins etc. Those are the kind of skills needed to make a profit out of farming, not just the desire to work off the land.

Grecco wrote: »
    True enough, he farms over 500ac but thats only the average you`d need over there. As for the fields been greener :D definitely not the case, he reckons that the grass growth over there is only about a third of what it is here
    But he really wanted to farm and renting or buying wasn't an option as the prices are crazy.
    As I say he`s happy out but it wouldn't be for everyone

It is a tough life. Economies of scale are completely different. 500 ac is nothing if the land is on a canyon or it is covered in weeds. The cost of weed eradication in some places in North America and Canada currently costs more than the value of the land there. No harm to work there for a few seasons to get an idea before you buy. Work visas can be got to work seasonally in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

This is a long shot but could you through advertisng or contacts do a deal with some elderly person/people to look after them and do a lease/buy deal over a term of years. Especially if you could take over the stock as well i.e. a going concern. The old people could steer you regarding farming matters. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Hi all,

I'm in the same boat, I think my only option is to marry a farmer's daughter who is going to get the farm!!

yourpics wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, I think my only option is to marry a farmer's daughter who is going to get the farm!!

the only way to do it....but i missed that boat im afraid!!!

sometime the women in that case become too bossy...and the husband becomes more like a farm labourer! iv seen it in several cases.

Good loser wrote: »
    This is a long shot but could you through advertisng or contacts do a deal with some elderly person/people to look after them and do a lease/buy deal over a term of years. Especially if you could take over the stock as well i.e. a going concern. The old people could steer you regarding farming matters. Best of luck.

also a good idea...but it has been very well know to happen, that the person spends all his time working on the oul lads farm , and when the time comes , the farmer signs it over to a relative...iv seen that happen to my uncle...he ended up just goin to england, and never again set foot in ireland.

its a common scenario also!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Hello BizzyB,

Hope you are well.

I was at home at the weekend, and came across (by word of mouth only - not advertised) 20 acres of poorish / middlin land for sale - for 25,000. Now , for people in our situation - i think thats great. Small money, you have your land to play around with - and even if you dont make a fortune/anything out of it - its a hobby. Would be good to break even - and who knows!!?? You can have another job aswell. So thats my plan- going to buy something along those lines. Nees lots of work (drainin / reseedin and everything ) to be done with it - but i can use my brothers machinery for that - on my time off.

So, maybe you should ask around the local farmers fomr something along these lines - THESE TYPES OF LAND WILL NOT BE ADVERTISED - i have been looking for 3 years!!

keep us posted,:D
    Jo

Advertisement