Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche closed for Funeral

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Unfortunately a lady who worked in my daughters creche passed away. The creche have deceided that they will close for the full day of the funeral. My question is should we have to pay for this day as we have to pay for alternative childcare for the day. I am not totally heartless as I understand that the workers in the creche would want to go to the funeral but we don't get paid days off to attend funerals of non family members.

The creche is also closed for a week in August and a week at christmas which we also have to pay for. I know that the workers still have to get paid but what happens if it is not possible to get time off work when the creche is closed? I can't take annual leave at christmas but am lucky that my husband can but I'm sure there are some parents that are totally inconvienced by these closures.

From talking to others in my work it seems that it is not the norm for a creche to close for a week in the summer. Christmas perhaps.

Would it be wrong for me to ask for a refund for the closed day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Personally speaking I would not ask for a refund. The crech is been closed under really sad circumstances not on a whim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Wouldn't be wrong but it would be very bad form and tasteless in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Incognito35

I wouldn't ask either. It is an inconvenience, but their reason for closing is genuine and it is a fitting mark of respect to a colleague to close to allow people to attend the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

tbh they shouldn't charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Why are you paying for the 2 weeks that the creche is closed?
    seems funny to me or do all creches have this policy?

I'd let the funeral day closeure slide tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I certainly think it'd be in your rights to ask for a refund. But sometimes what's your right isn't the best course of action. These are the people looking after your child(ren) and it would be more political to grit your teeth and let it slide.

I know a lot of parents who have to pay for their creche even when they've taken time off. Personally I think that's terribly unfair. Of course the workers need their holiday pay too, but that should be included in the cost of the creche without having to shut down. I don't know why so many get away with this as I can't think of any other business who would make you pay for NOT giving you a service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would be sensitive to the creche workers death.

As for paying for the holidays,this is what you signed up for and the cost would be broken down accordingly.

The creche my daughter was in closed on public holidays only and that was it and there are plenty like it so maybe if you looked in to the option of moving them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're paying for a service and if they can't offer that service then you should get your money back, the circumstances are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

do you get paid when you are on your Hols? when you are not providing a service?

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    do you get paid when you are on your Hols? when you are not providing a service?

Because that's the same? Legally I'm entitled to paid holidays every year. For instance, if I had to go to a funeral, I would take a holiday. I wouldn't ask my employer to just pay me as normal nor would I expect it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Gilda Fortune

I wouldnt embarrass myself by complaining over the funeral. and in fact i would also attend the funeral as a mark of respect .
    Christmas is totally standard and the norm.
    The week in summer is ridiculous, and i have never heard of it.
    if your feeling this unhappy with your creches service my advise is change creches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It is normal for a creche to charge for holidays. They have to pay staff for holidays. The alternative is that you do not pay for the holidays, but the cost for all other weeks would obviously have to be increased to allow for this.

It is not normal for a creche to close during the summer though. Personally I wouldn't accept that.

With regard to the funeral, I wouldn't ask for a refund, but I would expect that the staff are getting paid for that day, i.e. not a holiday, otherwise it is money in the creche owners pocket, which would be more distasteful than asking for a days refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I think it would be very immoral of you to ask for a refund for one day.

How much is one day in the creche? Maximum it is 40euro?

Your child is cared for there every day, and will probably be there for years to come if they do after school etc. I would not be able to look the staff or the manager in the face again, if I'd asked for a refund because a member of staff at the creche had died and they were all attending the funeral. Do you really have to 'pay' someone else to mind your child for that one day? Is there not a grandparent/aunt/neighbour who would do it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I wouldn't argue the funeral day - it would be very disrespectful.
    But I would argue the week in August. It is normal enough for a creche to close for a week at Christmas and most people (not all, I know) can take leave at Christmas or know someone who can help out at that time of year.
    But paying for a week in the summer when the creche is closed is fairly ridiculous. I would certainly bring that up with the manager.

My son is in creche and we pay for 51 weeks of the year. They close for 2 weeks at Christmas (so we pay for one, and not for the other). They have a number of "floating" staff to cover their own staff leave in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No way would I ask for a refund for the funeral day. It's a mark of respect to their colleague, plenty of companies do it.

As for the summer and christmas time...our creche is closed for a week at Christmas and we have to pay for it, it's just one of those things. They're open for the rest of the year, but any time we take holidays and our son isn't in creche we have to pay for that too.

Was it not in your Contract before you signed up?

Because that's the same? Legally I'm entitled to paid holidays every year. For instance, if I had to go to a funeral, I would take a holiday. I wouldn't ask my employer to just pay me as normal nor would I expect it.

If some one from your office died though...would you not be expected to attend the funeral? That seems pretty strange.

If some one from your office died though...would you not be expected to attend the funeral? That seems pretty strange.

If the company would be happy to foot the bill for that then that's their perogative, but if the company shift that cost onto the customers then how is that fair?

If I book a night in a hotel next week and one of the staff members of the hotel die, should I not get a refund if the hotel decide to close on the day I'm supposed to stay? Or would it be rude and ''immoral'' to expect such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

You're paying for a service and if they can't offer that service then you should get your money back, the circumstances are irrelevant.

Seriously? Take yourself out of your consumer rights bubble for a minute and think like an average person with a bit of empathy. It's not like they are trying to pull a fast one on the parents, it's just bad circumstance. As for the other days/weeks that they are closed, I assume that the OP knew this when her kid started so she had a choice to accept it or not.

If someone in my job died, there's no way anyone would be expected to take a holiday. Even for any funerals that any of us have to attend, management are always respectful and allow us time off to go to funerals, without having to 'officially' take time off. No one has abused this system, and it works well in my job, and I'm sure in other organisations.

Edit; I know if someone had died in my sons creche when he was younger, I would have gone to the funeral myself! I'm sure alot of the parents are going to that funeral! A teacher in my sons school died last year (it was so sad) and there was a massive amount of parents at the school. The school closed for the day too, and even closed the day he died, as it was a tragic accident. We all had to get our kids minded by various family members etc. It's just what you do when a situation like this arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

so you would take a paid holiday?.. who would pay you for not providing a service???

• Advertisement

If the company would be happy to foot the bill for that then that's their perogative, but if the company shift that cost onto the customers then how is that fair?

If I book a night in a hotel next week and one of the staff members of the hotel die, should I not get a refund if the hotel decide to close on the day I'm supposed to stay? Or would it be rude and ''immoral'' to expect such a thing?

Staying in a hotel is completely different to the circumstances the OP is in. You have no direct connection or link with the hotel other than as a paying customer. With a creche, you've built up a close connection with the staff who look after your child. You may not know the woman in person who has passed, as you don't meet everyone individually, but as a mark of respect to the people who did work with her, just cut your losses and have a bit of compassion.

Staying in a hotel is completely different to the circumstances the OP is in. You have no direct connection or link with the hotel other than as a paying customer. With a creche, you've built up a close connection with the staff who look after your child. You may not know the woman in person who has passed, as you don't meet everyone individually, but as a mark of respect to the people who did work with her, just cut your losses and have a bit of compassion.
    Fine, in that case, maybe I've stayed in the hotel once per month for the last 5 years and I know the receptionist, barman and porter by name. Would it still be wrong of me to expect my money back?

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    so you would take a paid holiday?.. who would pay you for not providing a service???
    My employer obviously, what has that go to do with anything? The question isn't whether the employer should or should not pay their employees when not in work, the question is whether that cost should be shifted onto the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think it would be a mean gesture of you to ask for refund.

Fine, in that case, maybe I've stayed in the hotel once per month for the last 5 years and I know the receptionist, barman and porter by name. Would it still be wrong of me to expect my money back?

Yes it would. If you've established a rapport with the staff of the hotel and if they couldn't arrange another night for you in lieu of the one you've lost, yes I think it would be pretty mean spirited to expect a refund. Anyway, chances are, you could stay another night in another hotel, so what would the big deal be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

A while ago I had an appointment half way across the country. On the train a man had a heart attack and dropped dead there and then, horribly upsetting stuff. Due to that the train was obviously delayed for quite a while and whatnot causing me to run late for the rest of the day. I was unable to catch my return train home (after spending €30 on a return fare) and had to pay about €12 for the bus. As someone who was on €40 a week thats actually quite a lot. It did annoy me a little but i just thought the cost of my extra fares was nothing compared to what that man's family were going through.

My point is things like this happen, try not to just see it from your point of view and remember that these creche workers have just lost one of their friends.

Yes it would. If you've established a rapport with the staff of the hotel and if they couldn't arrange another night for you in lieu of the one you've lost, yes I think it would be pretty mean spirited to expect a refund. Anyway, chances are, you could stay another night in another hotel, so what would the big deal be?
    The big deal being I'd have paid for 2 nights in a hotel and only got one. How is that not clear!? :confused:

No wonder the country's in the shítter when people are so willing to piss away their money. I don't know about you but I'm not in a position to just forget about the cost of a night in a hotel, let alone have to stump even more money for a different hotel!

The big deal being I'd have paid for 2 nights in a hotel and only got one. How is that not clear!? :confused:

No wonder the country's in the shítter when people are so willing to piss away their money. I don't know about you but I'm not in a position to just forget about the cost of a night in a hotel, let alone have to stump even more money for a different hotel!

Where did I say that your point wasn't clear? :confused: I just think it's rather mean spirited.

I couldn't give a monkeys what you do with your hotel rooms tbh...the whole point is, the OP, in my opinion, shouldn't ask for a refund from their child's creche in the circumstances. That is all. If that means the country goes down the pan, then so be it :P

That is just a ridiculous argument - the country is not in the ****ter because creche staff die and parents have to pay for the day their child isn't in creche. Your comparison to booking a hotel room is also way off. It's not comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Its one day...surely this is very insenstive to even think of asking for the money for one day

Advertisement