Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with my grass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i stand corrected but ..i don't think its weeds looks like scartched grass

you're cutting your grass too short, and it needs to be watered more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yeah, looks like a couple of things happened. It went through a dry period without being watered. Some the grass died and that is what you have there.
    Also, they look very thick so I would guess you have not being cutting it regularly. Grass is a plant so if it is left a long time to grow without cutting then you get long thick stems rather than green blades (think of them as the leaves). The stems also tend to be pale to white/yellow in colour. So when you do get around to cutting it you are left with pale or yellow stems and/or dead stalks.
    In summer time you should be cutting at least once a week and maybe twice.
    Watch the weather forecasts. If there is a prolonged dry period forecast water the lawn deeply once as the period begins. No sense watering it once you start to see the grass go yellow as the damage will be done and can't be undone. Give it the water before it needs it and it will be available deeper down in the soil when the surface begins to run dry. Don't water a little and often. That encourages the grass to keep short roots. In a dry period when the top inch or two dries out the grass won't have deep roots to access the moisture deeper down and it will die.
    Also, did you fertilise?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

Hi all

I cut the garden once a week. I use a ride on mower on the second highest cut position or even on the highest

I sprayed weedkiller and fertilized the garden last august.

I've never watered the garden usually enough rainfall in Ireland:o or so I thought

My plan was to carpet spray the garden with a weedkiller (i had lots and lots of clover last year) and then use a fertilizer, last year the grass was so green when this was done.

Should I do the same procedure again

Yes indeed. In fact you should fertilise at least 3 times a year. Late spring, mid-summer and an autumn feed in october (this one is the most important one as it feeds the roots over winter making strong plants which will be ready to take off once spring comes around again).

Buy that book, has all the knowledge you will ever need. Easy to follow.

What is the name of the book

Thanks for all of your advise much appreciated

• Advertisement

Sorry forgot that :-)
    The Lawn Expert

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0903505487/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Pick it up 2nd hand for price of shipping only (3 or 4 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

redser7 wrote: »
    Sorry forgot that :-)
    The Lawn Expert

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0903505487/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Pick it up 2nd hand for price of shipping only (3 or 4 euro)

Must get this myself, cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

fryup wrote: »
    i stand corrected but ..i don't think its weeds looks like scartched grass

you're cutting your grass too short, and it needs to be watered more
    And the thatch needs to be raked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you may also need to aerate the lawn..using a garden fork or shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

marley1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the white tops on my grass are weeds. If they are can you tell me what it is.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/dsc00068jg.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/dsc00069uf.jpg/

If it isn't weeds can anyone tell me the possible cause

Thanks in advance
    nothing more than this grass is cut too low and needs a good feed right now, you can get the stuff that will green it up in seven days, do it now while we have the soft rain, i had that last year and did this it is beautiful since

• Advertisement

Right Folks, can you tell me if this is a good plan of action
    • Week 1
    • I've carpet spread a weedkiller over the entire lawn
    • I'm going to use sulphate to kill the moss (is this time of year appropiate to use sulphate
    • Week 2
    • When weeds turn black I will scarify the ground using a scarifier
    • Run the lawnmower over to collect thatch that is left
    • Use a spreader to fertilize the lawn using 18.6.12
    • Water

Advertisement