Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat/Saorsat/Saorview confusion issues.

• 13-07-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this should have been in some other category, I just felt it was a consumer issue.

Tonight I had a knock on my door from a salesman trying to flog me SAORVIEW. I was very sceptical as this same saolesman was knocking on my door about 3 weeks ago trying to get me to sign up to airtricity.

Anyhow, tonight his sales pitch was thus: A one off outlay of €349 will get me a sattelite dish mounted where my Sky one is ( IE, no more hole drilling in my house), and this €349 is the ONLY outlay I will have to make for TEN years!!! Also, when asking what channels I will get, he says over 100. As I am a football nut, I asked him about what fgootball they will show, he then rattled off the FAI premiership. I stopped him there, as I asked him about the premiership. He tells me RTE will be broadcasting live premiership football this coming season - How I ask can RTE afford this? I then asked him about the European Cup, what about the Tuesday nights that TV3 have ( and I only wish they would give back to RTE as their compere's are the worst EVER IMHO, but thats another thread). He then started talking about Rugby, I stopped him pronto, and again asked what about the European Cup. He then said RTE will be showing this ( when he knocked on the door at first, he claimed he was from RTE).

I got a flyer off him and said I would read up on it. Their flyer says they DO broadcast 140 channels. But this all seems to be too good to be true. Is it?

I am no tv fundi, and sure would appreciate some feedback here. Anyone know about SAORVIEW? And if you have them, how good are they? As I said, I might have been swayed, but for the salesman who was selling.

Again Mods, I apologise ifd this is in the wrong category.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Apologies if this should have been in some other category, I just felt it was a consumer issue.

Tonight I had a knock on my door from a salesman trying to flog me SAORVIEW. I was very sceptical as this same saolesman was knocking on my door about 3 weeks ago trying to get me to sign up to airtricity.

Anyhow, tonight his sales pitch was thus: A one off outlay of €349 will get me a sattelite dish mounted where my Sky one is ( IE, no more hole drilling in my house), and this €349 is the ONLY outlay I will have to make for TEN years!!! Also, when asking what channels I will get, he says over 100. As I am a football nut, I asked him about what fgootball they will show, he then rattled off the FAI premiership. I stopped him there, as I asked him about the premiership. He tells me RTE will be broadcasting live premiership football this coming season - How I ask can RTE afford this? I then asked him about the European Cup, what about the Tuesday nights that TV3 have ( and I only wish they would give back to RTE as their compere's are the worst EVER IMHO, but thats another thread). He then started talking about Rugby, I stopped him pronto, and again asked what about the European Cup. He then said RTE will be showing this ( when he knocked on the door at first, he claimed he was from RTE).

I got a flyer off him and said I would read up on it. Their flyer says they DO broadcast 140 channels. But this all seems to be too good to be true. Is it?

I am no tv fundi, and sure would appreciate some feedback here. Anyone know about SAORVIEW? And if you have them, how good are they? As I said, I might have been swayed, but for the salesman who was selling.

Saorview does not use a sattellite dish at all! he may be trying to sell a free to air sattelite system but it would be seriously overpriced at €349 with more to pay after ten years!

It also sounds like they are going to use your current sky reciever for the free to air signal? did he mention anythin about what equipment they were going to use?

This sounds like a scam and this sort of scum prey on the eldely and those a bit more vulnerable in society!

Could you scan a copy of the flyer and upload it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are always people talking bull-sh1t and taking advantage of the situation.

Here's the Saorview website, where there's no mention of needing a satellite dish, nor any mention of 140 channels (only 6 at the moment including RTE1+1):

http://www.saorview.ie/

Your Aerial

The vast majority of homes with existing outdoor/rooftop UHF aerials will be able to receive the SAORVIEW signal

...and you can find out even more here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=55

most homes with a good reception using an indoor aerial will aso get good reception for Saorview with the same aerial as long as it is a vhs aerial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

CCF13072011_00000.jpg
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Saorview does not use a sattellite dish at all! he may be trying to sell a free to air sattelite system but it would be seriously overpriced at €349 with more to pay after ten years!

It also sounds like they are going to use your current sky reciever for the free to air signal? did he mention anythin about what equipment they were going to use?

This sounds like a scam and this sort of scum prey on the eldely and those a bit more vulnerable in society!

Could you scan a copy of the flyer and upload it?
    Thanks

This is the first time I have scanned and attached on boards, hope I dont make a balls of it, and apologies if I do.

NO equipment was mentioned, other than the satellite dish would be inserted in the holes already drilled for my Sky dish

CCF13072011_00000.jpg
    Thanks

This is the first time I have scanned and attached on boards, hope I dont make a balls of it, and apologies if I do.

NO equipment was mentioned, other than the satellite dish would be inserted in the holes already drilled for my Sky dish
    You would need a satellite dish and an aerial for their combo box offer but it is very expensive for something most people could do themselves for a lot less. they are offering free to air channels so you will not get channels like sky sports without a sky subscription unless they have some illegal way of offering it to you for a little bit extra?

the company appears to be the same as on this website www.digitalbox.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If you already have a Sky dish you don't need another dish either - only the receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

SAORSAT is available at the moment.

Spot Beam on Ireland, i.e. Irish Channels, plus the Free to View Channels, however you'd need 2 LNB's on your Dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorsat

So in theory you can have all the channels on 1 box without DVB-T.

That 349 Box looks like a DVB-T/S Combo box.

Theres one here for 160 euros.
    http://www.megavision.ie/triax-st-hd537-free-to-air-saorview-compatible.html

Plug that into your existing Sky Dish + Aerial and your away.

Another one here for 119 + VAT.
    http://www.buysaorview.com/offers/Get-Irish-Digital-and-UK-Freeview-Digital-Channels-via-Triax-Combo-Box-ST-HD537_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

if you want saorview all you need is a tv, dvd player or set top box that will pick it up you dont need any dish.

That salesman has no way of knowing what rte wil or wont show unless he reads about it in the paper.

Anything he tells verbally isn't worth anything. I have seen other threads on here where people have been ripped off by salesmen promising evrything but all that counts is what is written down on paper

Is it possible you can already get saorview?

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Saorview is free, though you will need an aerial and a set-top box if your TV does not have the requisite hardware built in.

NO Sky subscription is necessary to Receive BBC1 HD, ITV 1 HD, Ch 4 HD, ITV 2,3,4, More4, E4, Sky News, BBC News, Film Four etc. All these channels are broadcast Free to Air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

There would be no need for a 2nd dish as your current sky dish is currently capable of receiving all the channels listed.

You can use a sky box to receive free to air TV but a Freesat HD box is preferable imo, simply unplug your Sky box and plug satellite cable into this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sagemcom-Satellite-Digital-Receiver-freesat/dp/B002XSKSHM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310654807&sr=1-4

If your TV is not Saorview compatible buy something like this for €45

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/digital-tv-adapter-stb-for-irish-digital-service-saorview/714023

Or an official Saorview set-top box for €70+ from Powercity.

Assuming you have an aerial, that's well under €200 for free TV.

You can use a sky box to receive free to air TV but a Freesat HD box is preferable imo, simply unplug your Sky box and plug satellite cable into this.
    If your TV is not Saorview compatible buy something like this for €45

Is a freesat box better than a skybox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Bob Z wrote: »
    Is a freesat box better than a skybox

Pros and cons I guess. And there are many different types and brands of both. Generally, Freesat shares many features of a Sky box, 7-day EPG, series link, programme reminders etc.

www.freesat.co.uk

If you want recording functionality similar to Sky+, a Freesat+ PVR like the Humax Foxsat with a 500gb hard drive enjoys a great reputation, though costs £230stg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Satellite forum

dudara

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

This sales man is talking bull**** to you he cant go around selling Saorview door to door as he is not a registered retailer with a shop front. Its all here for people to see http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

scaller wrote: »
    This sales man is talking bull**** to you he cant go around selling Saorview door to door as he is not a registered retailer with a shop front. Its all here for people to see http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/.

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking You all, and especially You, Scaller. The link You posted says it all as far as I am concerned. I can see now this geezer is a one joker, and his ilk should not be let loose. I notice the phone number on his flyer is not even mentioned on the SAORVIEW site, or at least not as far I can ascertain.

Go raibh mile mhaith agat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SAORSAT is available at the moment.

Spot Beam on Ireland, i.e. Irish Channels, plus the Free to View Channels, however you'd need 2 LNB's on your Dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorsat

So in theory you can have all the channels on 1 box without DVB-T.

So to receive the UK satellite stations along with the Irish ones, all I need is a twin LNB on my existing dish? No need for an aerial, and No need for a combo box like the (Triax ST HD537), just a twin LNB is all that's required ???

Can it be that easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

LordSutch wrote: »
    So to receive the UK satellite stations along with the Irish ones, all I need is a twin LNB on my existing dish? No need for an aerial, and No need for a combo box like the (Triax ST HD537), just a twin LNB is all that's required ???

Can it be that easy?

I don't think they're standard LNBs, but no doubt one of the resident geniuses will spill the beans (again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Can it be that easy?

No. What you must remember is that some people dont actually know what they are talking about.

You will only need Saorsat if you live in a far off place in Ireland. Saorview (via aerial) is cheaper anyhow.

And by the way - the Ferguson Ariva 120combo box is cheaper than most HD sat boxes anyhow.

And RE this thread - There is NO approved COMBO for Saorview so this chap with the makey up flyer will most likely be getting a rocket from RTE. His loose use of "Freesat" will also get him into trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Can it be that easy?

Depends how large your existing dish is as theres quite a spread between 28.2E and 9E

I know of 2 people that have it, 1 with a motorised setup and 1 with a large dish and bracket, although its some gammy looking thing. No idea myself as i'm in Contental Europe :)

Their pretty much out in the middle of nowhere though (West Cork/Kerry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

There is definintely no approved combo box that does Saorview and Freesat. You would need two boxes for this or alternatively Saorview TV and a seperate Freesat box.

There are combo boxes that will giveyou all the same channels as Saorview and Freesat but you will not get the EPG. This is what this guy is selling.

You need an aerial for Saorview and a dish for Freesat

Saorsat is the satellite version of Saorview but it hasn't been launched yet and you will probably need a different dish as it on a different satellite to Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

Just had a read through the thread,
    The price (349) is for a combi box which includes combi box dish ariel and installation, i have seen a box installed it is a triax which is the same as the saorview box and was told it has the same chip as the saorview box but that the combi boxes are not approved, to be honest i dont really watch much tv but the channels i do watch are on the list of channels from the Freesat.co.uk site and of course the saorview site, when i used the box the EPG was set up so it started with RTE 1 all irish channels fist and then the uk channels, not the greatest EPG in the world but it worked fine.
    the person who knocked on you door may not have had everything exactly right but the system i looked at sounds the same no sky sports or movies or sky channels but it worked well and the picture was fantastic, seems like a good deal for what it is, granted when i was growing up we only had an ariel on the roof and a choice of RTE 1 or RTE 2 as we were in a bad signal area we couldnt get anything else, i remember my parents paying alot of money at the time to upgrade the ariel and have it installed and the recption really depended on the weather, but the thing was they didnt have to pay again, call me old fashioned but for the service of 100+ half decent channels for a HD quality tv service that works not a bad deal at 349, as i pay 27pm with sky now, or 324 per year dont get me wrong its a great service but i plan on watching tv for a few years yet over 10 years thats 3240 where 10 years of the fta/saorview still only costs 349.
    i can live without sports for that price to be honest im more of a GAA fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Since they include an aerial or an aerial and sat dish plus the STB those prices dont seem bad at all. The only issue I can see from the flyer is the use of the term freesat.

ya it is a great price the freesat is the right term for the combi system its saorview and freesat 1 box that gives both
    here is the link for freesat http://www.freesat.co.uk/
    something else i just found out, you can buy saorview approved boxes and non approved boxes, and also they dont approve installers, yet! but you should look for CAI registered installers, i do really love the idea of not having to pay a monthly sub for TV that you can get for free as long as it is installed correctly.

ladder wrote: »
    ya it is a great price the freesat is the right term for the combi system its saorview and freesat 1 box that gives both
    here is the link for freesat http://www.freesat.co.uk/
    something else i just found out, you can buy saorview approved boxes and non approved boxes, and also they dont approve installers, yet! but you should look for CAI registered installers, i do really love the idea of not having to pay a monthly sub for TV that you can get for free as long as it is installed correctly.

Freesat is NOT the right term. Freesat have proprietary software that doesnt require manual tuning EVER. They also have interactive MHEG5 features built in (press the red button etc). This is NOT a freesat branded box running Freesat software. Hence the use of Freesat is incorrect, misleading and in breach of the copyright holders of the logo. The Triax receiver this guy is selling is a Free to air Sat and DTT receiver. A similar type box can be bought deluivery and all for €80 (Ferguson Ariva 120 HD).

Secondly, the Combo box is not Saorview approved. Use of the Saorview logo is only allowed on equipment approved by Terracom. RTE will rightly go bananas.

Thirdly the Box pictured per the uploaded flyer in the previous page is of a Triax 112 which is the terrestrial only box. The Combo Box, the Triax HD 537 does NOT have Saorview on the box (because its not Saorview approved) so its all a little bit of misleading money making for some chancer isnt it.

I would be surprised if RTE NL havent been in contact with this guy already, closely followed by Freesat and Triax themselves for misrepresentation and illegal use of copyrighted logos on NON certified products.

Ladder, I hope you are not doing marketing for these chancers.

STB wrote: »
    Freesat is NOT the right term. Freesat have proprietary software that doesnt require manual tuning EVER. They also have interactive MHEG5 features built in (press the red button etc). This is NOT a freesat branded box running Freesat software. Hence the use of Freesat is incorrect, misleading and in breach of the copyright holders of the logo.

Secondly, the Combo box is not Saorview approved. Use of the Saorview logo is only allowed on equipment approved by Terracom. RTE will rightly go bananas.

Thirdly the Box pictured per the uploaded flyer in the previous page is of a Triax 112 which is the terrestrial only box. The Combo Box, the Triax HD 537 does NOT have Saorview on the box (because its not Saorview approved) so its all a little bit of misleading money making for some chancer isnt it.

I would be surprised if RTE NL havent been in contact with this guy already, closely followed by Freesat and Triax themselves for misrepresentation and illegal use of copyrighted logos on NON certified products.

I am going to ignore the obvious here as well, I am sure others see it.

All i was saying was its a good price and i like the idea !
    didnt see the flyer to be honest dont really care either, i love the idea of not having to pay for tv stations that are free to air channels, i didnt say anywhere that it was approved or non approved and from what i have read (not on here) there is no such thing as a combi approved box, only saorview approved boxes, saorview approved set top box is only for saorview and freesat dont have approved or non approved boxes from what i have read on their site.
    Is the Triax saorview box not approved ? because it is listed on the saorview site.

as for you last statment of ignoring the obvious, im not sure what you mean ?

just as a matter of interest is the upc or sky box approved by saorview ? that has the same channels that are listed on the saorview and freesat channel line up right ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

freesat dont have approved or non approved boxes from what i have read on their site.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/

evilivor wrote: »

Again it really isnt stating if they are approved or non approved it says stuff like a box to suit every pocket starting from £68 it isnt recomending or approving any box
    unless i read it wrong ?

All i was saying was its a good price and i like the idea !
    didnt see the flyer to be honest dont really care either, i love the idea of not having to pay for tv stations that are free to air channels, i didnt say anywhere that it was approved or non approved and from what i have read (not on here) there is no such thing as a combi approved box, only saorview approved boxes, saorview approved set top box is only for saorview and freesat dont have approved or non approved boxes from what i have read on their site.
    Is the Triax saorview box not approved ? because it is listed on the saorview site.

as for you last statment of ignoring the obvious, im not sure what you mean ?

just as a matter of interest is the upc or sky box approved by saorview ? that has the same channels that are listed on the saorview and freesat channel line up right ??

You did expecially when you said "ya it is a great price the freesat is the right term for the combi system its saorview and freesat 1 box that gives both
    here is the link for freesat http://www.freesat.co.uk/"

Which is ALL UNTRUE. Please take on board that this is a technical forum and people know what they are talking about.

UPC or Sky Boxes have NOTHING to do with Saorview. Saorview is Free. UPC and Sky are Pay services. YOu cannot use wither for Saorview.

There is only one approved Triax box and it is NOT the combo box. The extensive use of the Saorview logo togther with a photoshoped picture of the terrestrial only Saorview box purporting to be an approved Saorview combo box is deliberately misleading and illegal. Even then, the Triax Combo box is not approved (by either Saorview OR Freesat).

The point here for the last time is that you cannot use Saorview or Freesat LOGOs without the certification AND permission of the holders. For each you must comply with the spec published for both which the Triax does not.
    Again it really isnt stating if they are approved or non approved it says stuff like a box to suit every pocket starting from £68 it isnt recomending or approving any box
    unless i read it wrong ?

ONLY approved boxes on the Freesat site. Use of the Freesat logo is only allowed in those instances! Only certified products may use the Freesat logo. It is that simple. This is not a debating society, its a technical forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The title would suggest this thread should be in terrestrial, but given the way its gone, I'll leave it in satellite and rename the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

unless i read it wrong ?

from the freesat website
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/faqs/how-to-install-freesat/?id=410&page_b736=2

freesat from the BBC and ITV is different to a generic satellite receiver that can receive the free-to-air (FTA) channels. You can use your existing equipment to receive all FTA channels provided the dish is pointing at the Astra 2 satellite at 28.2 degrees SE, but you're not enjoying the full freesat service. There are elements of our service that you need a freesat-branded digital box to access, for example our 8-day on-screen programme guide, increased interactivity and internet services such as BBC iPlayer.

How do I know that I'm getting a genuine freesat product?
    Look for the logo - all freesat products have the freesat logo on the equipment and packaging.

and

http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/faqs/how-to-install-freesat/?id=410&page_b736=3

What brands of digital boxes are available?
    There are Panasonic, Goodmans, Grunding, Bush, Humax, Metronic, TechniSat and Sagem boxes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Can I ask a question please, don't know how related to the thread it is but here, my gran was paying for a upc package but only watches the news so she cancelled it, she now only gets the basic 4 channels through the same wire connection she had before, shes worried she will have to pay for a saorview box and instillation, does she need to? My limited knowledge of it is I thought it was only if you had a rabbit ears aerial that you needed to switch........?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A quick answer to this one since it belongs in cable: does your gran live in Cork city? If so she doesn't need to switch for the moment, but may need to in the future if UPC decide to switch off the remaining four analogue channels.

Thanks for your reply, she lives about 6 miles outside the city, if she did live in the city would it make a difference because it would be the same wire connection that she would be getting. Thanks again, you're basically saying as things stand now she should be fine, I think I might ring upc as I couldn't find an answer on the saorview website.

:confused:How did you know she lives in Cork?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

:confused:How did you know she lives in Cork?:confused:

Probably because UPC cable in Cork is the only cable company in the country that carries the 4 analogue channels free of charge with everything else encrypted and requiring a subscription (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72496969).

Edit: I see from this post this isn't the case any longer - all digital now, no analogue.

Thanks for your reply, she lives about 6 miles outside the city, if she did live in the city would it make a difference because it would be the same wire connection that she would be getting. Thanks again, you're basically saying as things stand now she should be fine, I think I might ring upc as I couldn't find an answer on the saorview website.

Was she a UPC MMDS customer i.e. UPC aerial on the roof and standard aerial for the 4 analogue channels, all combined on one down cable?

If this is the case she will require a Saorview TV or STB towards the end of 2012.

The Cush wrote: »
    Was she a UPC MMDS customer i.e. UPC aerial on the roof and standard aerial for the 4 analogue channels, all combined on one down cable?

I'm pretty sure.

If this is the case she will require a Saorview TV or STB towards the end of 2012.

I rang upc and they said she will have to get the Saorview TV or STB.
    Thanks again for your help....

What does the analogue switch off (ASO) mean for me?

If you receive your TV service from UPC the analogue switch off will have no impact on you.
    UPC operates a standalone network with our own separate signal for RTE ONE, RTE TWO, TV3 and TG4. These Irish channels will continue to be available on UPC networks to both our analogue and digital customers. You will not need to purchase or upgrade any equipment to continue receiving these channels

What does the analogue switch off (ASO) mean for me?

If you receive your TV service from UPC the analogue switch off will have no impact on you.
    UPC operates a standalone network with our own separate signal for RTE ONE, RTE TWO, TV3 and TG4. These Irish channels will continue to be available on UPC networks to both our analogue and digital customers. You will not need to purchase or upgrade any equipment to continue receiving these channels

Terrestrial ASO will not affect subscribers to UPC who carry the 4 Irish terrestrial channels as part of their subscription packages and separate from RTÉNL's terrestrial network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement