Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quick Appeal to Boardsies in Perth

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods, if you feel this is inappropriate, please feel free to delete it. I have checked the charter before posting and I think it's ok.

We have a young friend of the family who's been in Perth since last Friday on a WHV. He's not a back packer looking to party for the year, he's a genuine hard working lad that's gone out on his own to Perth with the sole mission of getting a job.

He's a real grafter, not for a minute afraid of hard work but he's really finding it tough to find anything. He's also one of the most genuine fellas you could ever wish to meet.

He has a WHV and a current white pass and is preparing to do his forklift test.

I think, in no particular order he needs; a couple of drinking buddies, a room in a house/apartment and a job.

He's finding it hard going at the moment, he's in a hostel on his own and he's getting a bit homesick. He was offered a job which fell through at the last minute which didn't help at all.

If you're in Perth at the moment and you think you can help, please PM. <Snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Hi mate,

Really sorry to hear that and I do genuinely feel sorry for the guy. He will get sorted, he needs to keep applying for jobs and he just needs to hang in there, start looking for shared accomodation and just in general make things happen for himself.

I know you are concerned for him but he is only over there since last friday. Takes most people a couple of months to get set up in terms of work, accomodation and usually longer for a circle of friends.

If the worry is coming from him, tell him he just needs to keep plugging away as nothing will fall into his lap, keep making the calls about jobs or applying whatever the case is. Tell him to look for somewhere to stay, but that might come with finding work.

I wish him the best of luck but his concerns are extremely premature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Anyone have any idea how the building trade in Perth is fairing at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's not *too* bad but not amazing either.

OP, has he tried looking for work in other areas? A lad I know worked 30 hours a week in Target on a casual wage which was perfect. There's heaps of jobs out there if you're proactive enough.

Also with the whole mates thing, does he play sport? If so get down to a football or GAA club and meet people in similar circumstances.

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's no use him having everything handed to him by a generous soul. I'm in Perth anyway so happy to give some pointers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for the input guys.

Xavi6, I completely understand there's no point him having everything handed to him. I'm just worried at this point that's he's going to get on a plane and come home before he's even given it a chance.

Having watched himself and his Dad preparing/saving for the last year, that would be the real shame.

If that happens, well it happens. I guess this was a last ditch attempt to try and prevent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

It would be such a pity if he comes home but people do it all the time. They get here and think that it is a big mistake. If he really wants to make a go of it he will find his way. Maybe he could move to a different hostel in the mean time. One that is a bit quieter with some more long term residents. Might be a way to meet people that aren't into the big party scene.

If he is really stuck for a job he could try getting a job as a car detailer in any of the car dealers around Perth. Just go in and ask for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Graham wrote: »
    We have a young friend of the family who's been in Perth since last Friday on a WHV. ....

He's finding it hard going at the moment, he's in a hostel on his own and he's getting a bit homesick. He was offered a job which fell through at the last minute which didn't help at all.

Graham

Honest to God he's not even here a week until tomorrow. That's half a package holiday. He needs to take a breath, find an internet cafe, set up a skype account and call home; have some beers with some of the other backpackers OR find an Irish Bar (God help me for that recommendation) and just talk to another human being.

He also needs to CALM DOWN. Turning around and going home now is literally a complete waste of money and within a month of being home he'll be wondering what the hell he did that for. Perspective is what he needs, and he won't get that with a return ticket at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just re-read the OP and he's here a week! I didn't work for the first nine when I got here and I'm a citizen.

The lad needs to have some perspective tbh, it doesn't all fall into place in seven days.

Sweeper, that's pretty much exactly what we said to him. He's just managed to work himself into a tizzy about it all.

Hopefully he'll relax into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

They don't call it the Working Holiday Visa for nothing...
    That's one of the reasons Australian immigration want you to have AU$5000 when you come here on a WHV.
    Australia is not a jobs mecca made out by RTE etc in Ireland.
    It's difficult to get a job, simple. More difficult if you are on a temporary visa such as the WHV.
    He should relax big time, get to know the people in the hostel, socialize, work will come his way eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

Agree with all of the above comments..it will come with time..it takes forever to get set up over here people definitely need to be prepared, i've had a friend come over and hadnt a job in the first week so was nearly on the plane back home to ireland...I think australia is being made out as this magical land where as soon as you land at the airport you are handed keys to an apartment and a job with an incredible wage. You need to LOOK for them first..and your first wage might not be that good but you can build on it.

Tell him to sign up with Hays recruitment they're a major trade recruitment agency or any of the agencys, granted the money won't be as good as working directly for a company but works work and you'll get work fast with them.

Australia is full of opportunities but it doesnt happen straightaway, my other half was here 4 days and got a great job with an incredible wage, it took me 3 weeks to find work and it took three weeks for us to get somewhere to live.

As they say..good things come to those who wait ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 greenline

The GAA are always glad to help young lads find their feet.
    http://www.gaelicfootball.com.au/WA.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How old is he? Also any skills?

Not really looking good if he is thinking of jumping ship after 5 days! He needs perspective but he has to go out there and make these things happen for himself. Sounds simple but a big step for some people who have had things handed on plate for them by mammy and daddy. Im sure he is well able but he needs to think clearly on what he wants out of his WHV and his stint in OZ, then go from there.

The most obvious question of all, why is he here in the first place?

He's in his early twenties Jank, and yes his parents have always stood by him. Not molly coddled him by any means but he's got himself in a bit of a downward spiral since he landed.

He won't even go out for a pint at this stage, "I'm here to work, not drink".

He's an experienced bar-man/labourer/GO, built like an Ox, reliable, trust-worthy with no fear of working up a sweat.

He's in Aus for one reason, and one reason only. Work.

I know it's going to take a few weeks to get there, you know it's going to take a few weeks to get there, but he almost expected to get a job getting off the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tell him to get out there. Oz is all about networking its who you know and what contacts you make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaycarlow

Im in Perth 2 months now and would say move Hostel and go play GAA if he is looking for friends and work.Worked for me a treat.Hostel wise id reccomend Shannon House in Subi. Its more a big share house im here with my friend and 3 other Irish Boys who we met here and have become good friends.I work in Construction but not sure my boss has anything at the minute.

Advertisement