Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tuition fees

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey im just looking for some infor about tuition fees. Im an Irish national and In 2008 i dropped out a level 7 course after only 3 months. Im hoping to start a new course this september, Because i started a course 3 years ago, does that mean I have to pay tuition fees for the course i want to start this september?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭knifeyspoony

oh and by the way i just finished a fetac level 5 course this may.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Not sure, but it sounds like you will have to pay for the first semester of first year and after that free fees apply again. I'm not positive about this though seeing as your moving from a level 7 to a level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dorio

happened to me too. they chased me for the money but you don't generally have to pay tution fees unless you sat exams for the first course. make up a good reason too like not being able to afford to get there or something.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 monny

I am just a small bit confused. What are tuition and non-tuition fees exactly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You will have to pay half tuition fees (for the first semester of the course) and then you get your free fees status back
    I am just a small bit confused. What are tuition and non-tuition fees exactly?

At the start of every college year, you pay UCD a registration fee of €2000 (used to be 1500) + a student levy of about €150. However, if you're not eligible for "free fees" (ie the government paying for your college studies) you are also required to pay your own tuition fees of €5400 or thereabouts. You have to pay your own tuition if you're not a member of the EU, haven't been resident here for 5 years or if you've already attended 3rd level or are repeating a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 monny

Thanks.
    In my case, I am repeating the year but i am only repeating the modules i have failed in my repeat exams. I know i have to pay the registration fee which is €2000 but i am unsure of the prices for each module i have to pay. I have being e-mailing people about this and they have mentioned i might have to pay tuition/non tuition fees?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Depends on what school/department is running the module. Arts ones cost 230 each anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ucd11

I'm in the same situation monny, all departments are €230 per module as far as I know! We couldn't be expected to pay the tuition fees even though we will only be doing some modules and are only repeating them for the first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

monny wrote: »
    Thanks.
    In my case, I am repeating the year but i am only repeating the modules i have failed in my repeat exams. I know i have to pay the registration fee which is €2000 but i am unsure of the prices for each module i have to pay. I have being e-mailing people about this and they have mentioned i might have to pay tuition/non tuition fees?

That's changed this year. There's another thread about that here. Contact fees and grants for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyhans

I went back to college last year as a mature student and i had to pay 2319e tuition fee and 1500e registration fee. I HAD to pay it or i couldnt get my results. Is it only a once off payment or will i have to pay my tuition fees again this year??

• Advertisement
Advertisement