Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finally want to get a new xbox

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

a year ago or so a lovely person stole my xbox...and being a student i cant afford to replace it...until now....kinda....well i have 150 to spend...

can anyone inform me of somewhere doing a special deal or something maybe? or could anyone tell me if a second hand one from gamestop would be okay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

You won't get a new 360 S for €150 but you would get a decent secondhand Elite from Gamestop for that. I think they give a three month warranty with secondhand consoles too. Double check that with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

thinking i should really wait and get the new one...price im seeing is around 200? that sound right?

im saying this with the knowledge that someone will insist i should wait and get the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the 200 price is for the 4gb model which is crap for downloading game updates and arcade games

i cant speak for all the new xboxs but there is a lad i play with all the time that is on his third or fourth one and regrates upgrading to the slim models

so maybe finding out about the xbox elite second hand might be a shout...once its warrentied cant do much harm...and better than playing the bloody ps2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

eldwaro,have a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056311300
    Wouldn't be sure that this deal is still available but 190 for a brand new 250gb slim is/was a great price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

heres what ya can get from CEX off henry St.
    http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?mode=buy&catid=783

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Just make sure to have at least a 60GB HDD! Trust me, 4GB or 20GB just ain't enough with all the downloadable content, demos, extra map packs and installing games to the HDD. I've got a 120GB maxed out and am seriously considering buying a fourth 360 with a 250GB HDD... probably wait till later this year though, as I'm expecting cheap console, 250Gb HDD & Kinect deal to come out around Oct-Dec... just a gut feeling though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the 200 price is for the 4gb model which is crap for downloading game updates and arcade games

i cant speak for all the new xboxs but there is a lad i play with all the time that is on his third or fourth one and regrates upgrading to the slim models
    Well maybe if you stoped playing with him he'd stop jizzing on his console!!

Slims are ossum, don't be bad mouthing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Well maybe if you stoped playing with him he'd stop jizzing on his console!!

Slims are ossum, don't be bad mouthing them!

LOL nice one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Console-250GB-Drive/dp/B003NSBMF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310729721&sr=8-1

just over 200 for a 250Gb slim delivered

• Advertisement

160 for an 120gb xbox elite from gamestop with a year warranty...
    pretty sound me thinks.

anyone selling a wireless adaptor on the cheap? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

eldwaro wrote: »
    anyone selling a wireless adaptor on the cheap? :D
    Have a look at adverts.ie
    I see lots of em' on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Was in game today
    Brand new 360 with 250 Drive was 205 no games
    Goto PC world/currys get them to price match and get another 10% off

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056333949

I'm still undecided between this and a second hand "new version" PS3 with 160 or 250 Drive (cant remember) for 260 euros and a years warrenty

Not so much for games but media streaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I sold my old broken elite and kept the hard drive and bought a refurbished arcade 360 in gamestop for 70 and put my hard drive into it and I have a year and its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

They're selling Xboxes at the moment in HMV in the Pavilions for about €180 I think? Not sure if it's the elite or the pro but it's not the 360s anyway. I just saw the sign and was like woah that's good. Limited supply!

Asry wrote: »
    They're selling Xboxes at the moment in HMV in the Pavilions for about €180 I think? Not sure if it's the elite or the pro but it's not the 360s anyway. I just saw the sign and was like woah that's good. Limited supply!

Are they any good for streaming media. I've heard the PS3 is better.
    My old XBMC original xbox has died

you'd have to check the stats, I guess. imo, the ps3 is a just blue-ray player with gaming functionality.

See this forum post from pennyarcade. They're usually pretty reliable. Obviously, internet connection quality is something that will inhibit streaming.

unless the xbox is going to be wired to the pc you will only be able to stream sd content.

i use wmc to stream to my xbox and it works perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Are they any good for streaming media.

any media on any windows computer on your network can stream to the xbox. i didn't even know of this feature when i bought mine way back when, it's very handy

also, im sure with tversity you could get non widows computers to stream to the xbox too

• Advertisement

Thanks I normally use a Buffalo NAS
    I guess it would be easier just to transfer the files to it using the wireless N

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Con_R

Asry wrote: »
    you'd have to check the stats, I guess. imo, the ps3 is a just blue-ray player with gaming functionality.
    How dare you! Take that back! :p

If you're looking to stream from to a PS3, there's a great programme called PS3 Media Server. Nice little Java based app that converts and streams content to your PS3. IIRC I just launched it on my laptop, the PS3 detected it automatically and I was good to go. You can browse through all the directories on your computer using the PS3.

For Xbox, I'd stay away from Media Centre. See if you can just stream from Media Player instead, it's meant to be so much easier. Media Centre is a right pain to set up.

Con_R wrote: »
    How dare you! Take that back! :p

If you're looking to stream from to a PS3, there's a great programme called PS3 Media Server. Nice little Java based app that converts and streams content to your PS3. IIRC I just launched it on my laptop, the PS3 detected it automatically and I was good to go. You can browse through all the directories on your computer using the PS3.

For Xbox, I'd stay away from Media Centre. See if you can just stream from Media Player instead, it's meant to be so much easier. Media Centre is a right pain to set up.

Yeah Media Centre irritates me in the extreme. And I'm sorry! I'm biased! :D:rolleyes:

Con_R wrote: »

media center is not hard to setup.

go to media center on xbox get code

open media center on pc go to add extender enter code

and thats it media center is up and running.

all you ned to do now is add the folders where your files are located
    in the settings menu.

then all you need to do is have your pc turned on (you dont need to open media center) select media center on the xbox

enjoy your media

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Con_R

media center is not hard to setup.

go to media center on xbox get code

open media center on pc go to add extender enter code

and thats it media center is up and running.

all you ned to do now is add the folders where your files are located
    in the settings menu.

then all you need to do is have your pc turned on (you dont need to open media center) select media center on the xbox

enjoy your media
    Trust me, it's not always that easy. Especially if you're trying to use it with XP.

Advertisement