Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay per use Wireless AP

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking around the different solutions availalbe for an organisation to charge for access to their wireless internet. Anyone here have any recomendations for a system they're using? Must fit into an enterprise sized environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

A few questions:

What do you count as an "enterprise sized environment"
    Do you want wireless over the whole site or just a section?
    Do you have thick walls or mesh grills?

Do you want this on a isolated network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

what kind of budget !?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

who are the punters that will pay for this ?

stufff like bitbuzz is comparable to 3G bundles

you could use fon , this will separate the wifi traffic from the enterprise traffic , if you don't have a plan to keep wifi users off the corporate network the :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its for a large Hospital which would like to extend paid wireless access to the patients and visitors. The infrastructure is already there, we'd just create a seperate SSID to keep the traffic seperate from the corporate traffic. I'm talking about the software (or appliance) that would allow people to pay, provide vouchers and run the backoffice part of the system. Budget hasnt been decided yet as i've only just started to look at options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pclancy wrote: »
    Its for a large Hospital which would like to extend paid wireless access to the patients and visitors. The infrastructure is already there, we'd just create a seperate SSID to keep the traffic seperate from the corporate traffic. I'm talking about the software (or appliance) that would allow people to pay, provide vouchers and run the backoffice part of the system. Budget hasnt been decided yet as i've only just started to look at options.
    check out cybercafe type software

When will they start charging for the toilets and the hand sprays ?

publically funded libraries and many government buildings provide free wifi
    you could check what they use

Budget - if you aren't gouging people then maybe a little market research to see what the market will take, will patients be charged, will there be free wifi in eateries ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I'm down in New Zealand and there isnt much publicly funded free wifi here yet :)

Have been looking at a couple of options today that look good was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

http://www.digitalvoiceanddata.ie/Wireless.html

Have a look at this it is mostly used in the the hospitality sector. It is done on the a token type system. Worked with this company for a couple in of projects in Ireland and only have good things to say about them.

Here is another one that I used to install. If you wanna go down the route of doing it on your own.

http://www.flexsys-group.com/broadband-internet-hotel-hotspots/griffin-internet.php

Once again this is all from a hotel point of view as these were the systems I used to install. But it is the same principle I reckon.

Advertisement