Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Build

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

After a tonne of humming and hawwing I have decided I am sick of it and am going to build a new pc, my old desktop is too slow for anything interesting anymore and I just want something that is lightning fast a bit like that SSD youtube video.

My friend who is an IT Guru will help me build it and reckons you'll build the daddy of computers for between €1,500 to €1,700. So I will bite the bullet and pay it, I paid €1,500 for my old computer back in 2004 and infairness it was the dogs danglies back in the day and I got brilliant service from it and it still works fine for day to day, but is no good for any video stuff or the like.

Anyways my new PC, where to start?

I want it to be fast and brilliant 1080p graphics, I am not much of a gamer but we may aswell give it good graphics.

I have a 2TB Harddrive already but I think I will get another as they are dirt cheap and give it 4TB of storage.

Most of the Solid State Drives go up to 120GB, is it possible to get say a 250GB SSD drive for Windows 7 and the usual my documents and stuff?

I will add a Bluray rewriter

USB3.0

I am not big into IT but I have read alot of the i7 chipset, would this be a good proccy to go for? Should I get a faster one or a slower one and overclock her? I'm not sure about overclocking as I want it to be reliable and not having parts burning out and things.

Water, Air or Liquid Nitrogen Cooling? My friend reckons he'll cool his new pc he's planning to build with liquid nitrogen? I think he's b'sing me!

Am I being realistic with my pricing because I went this evening and opened my Medion HTPC which I was planning to substitute as my main pc and then I discovered it did not have a second hard-drive bay as I expected as I was going to fit my new 2TB harddrive to it to give it more storage; disheartened I am thinking about just building something new instead, unless it is possible to get an adapter to covert the spare DVD bay into a Hard drive bay.

Comments

Advertisement