Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a job in the US

Options
  • 14-07-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've just been offered a job in the states ... but I'm not sure what to do next ... how do I get a visa or do the company do that??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

kazcoz wrote: »
    I've just been offered a job in the states ... but I'm not sure what to do next ... how do I get a visa or do the company do that??
    I imagine they do, they'll prob email you the process but if not email them - they wont expect you to know all that sort of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kazcoz

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Congratulations!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Slightly off topic but how did you get offered a job in the US? What industry is it in?

I'd love to work in the US myself but I feel like companies won't go near you when you need a visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

G-Money wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but how did you get offered a job in the US? What industry is it in?

I'd love to work in the US myself but I feel like companies won't go near you when you need a visa.

All this Visa crap really drives me crazy. I'm a US citizen - do you think we could 'trade'? Every time a potential employer finds out I need a visa or green card or something; they immediately tell me 'Sorry, not interested'

• Advertisement

Robdude wrote: »
    All this Visa crap really drives me crazy. I'm a US citizen - do you think we could 'trade'? Every time a potential employer finds out I need a visa or green card or something; they immediately tell me 'Sorry, not interested'

Deal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kazcoz

Thanks for all your comments ..... ok I'm still in Ireland! I'm qualified as a behavioural analyst so I applied for a job through an international website for people in this field. However it's taken ages, firstly its taken six months nearly for the state department to approve my qualifications and now I have to go through the whole visa process. I don't know what's going to happen ... the amount of paper work so far has been unnatural and the company want me to obtain an attorney to deal with the visa application so I'm in the middle of trying to find one and I'm also wondering who pays for it :-) Anyway, my advice to anyone planning to go is have patience cause you'll certainly need it !!

Happy Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jager Man

Don't want to rain on your parade but I'm pretty sure the allocation of H1-B visas are exhausted for this year - there's around 65,000 each year. Applications are excepted from April of each year and applications are excepted until all visas have been allocated which was Nov 22nd this year.

You'll have to get the company to sponsor you this coming April, and if the visa is granted you can start working on Oct 1st 2012.

This is the official gov website for H1-B visas:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4b7cdd1d5fd37210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=73566811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jager Man

Also if the company doesn't have legal resources within the org it can cost around $5k for employ a lawyer to fill the right paper work.

The only other work around might be if the company has an office in London, or here in Ireland, they can get I believe an L visa. The L visa is for inter-company transfers. So you could work in London etc for a month and then apply to be transferred to the USA.

I think with an L visa you have to work for the company for a year abroad before you can transfer to their US office. Although I think that's pretty much the only requirement and as far as I know, there's no cap on visa numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think L requires that you have some 'management' type role, e.g. have some people who report to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I think L requires that you have some 'management' type role, e.g. have some people who report to you.

There are two types, one technical and one management. Both of which need a year with your company before transferring. H1b is the quickest way, but the cap is used and the next lot is available for application in April and use in october. Depending on your education you could also apply for a greencard which would take 3-5yrs to process. Another alternate may be J1 if you were a recent grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Have a question about the H1-B process - will be entering it in April. Do I need some sort of letter of verification from my university in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Make sure you get a formal offer letter...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Megglz wrote: »
    Have a question about the H1-B process - will be entering it in April. Do I need some sort of letter of verification from my university in Ireland?

You will need to have all your transcripts and degree certification. In addition to that you will need to have your degree equated to an American qualification by an official body. You should speak to a lawyer a little more about it.

Advertisement