Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room Vent - No four inch pipe between covers.

• 14-07-2011 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi.

I just have a quick query. I have a builder in doing so work and he mention that there is no pipe in the air vents, effectively the builder left possible 5" x 3" holes in the walls internally and installed an air brick externally, this was 20 years ago when it was built. I am aware that there should be a pipe but the hold and air brick are out of allignement. Would it be considered acceptable to create an envelope of expanding foam to seal the cavity to the room vents only externally and not into the cavity and visa versa. The main reason I want to do so is that it an apartment block and as all units are like this they are interconnected air wise via the cavity.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Why not just report it. This has got to be illegal for health and safety reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

this was 20 years ago when it was built.
    Do we have statute of limitations?:)

Would flexible ducting get you out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Doesn't sound like a massive job to get a small bit of 4" wavin pipe, cut off some lengths of it and cement it into place, or use some expanding foam around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You'll need something to stop the foam from filling the gap too much and closing it off completely though, as its likely to happen.

I'd say the building work is covered by the statute of limitations at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Of course a flexi vent pipe will vent the apt, but the situation is still dangerous for the other dwellers. What if there is gas leaking, someone ill with TB or other air borne diseases?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi All.

Thanks for the replies, the main issue is that the into the room is as I said less than the size of a red brick and I would like to avoid distroying the roomshave to do at solid block walls with a core bit. My thinking was to fill the cavirty around the vent and the vent with foam and then cut out a channell the same size as the room opening through it to the vent block in the external red brick wall.

Main concern in completly seperating the apartment internally from the air of the neightbours as sometimes we can smell them smoking inside or noise is travelling via the cavity.

There has never been an issues with ventilation as I would say the over all area opening in the walls is greater than that of a 100mm pipe. assumming a good backfil arround the vent would this be acceptable. The builder won't be doing this work to remedy this as he is only in to do remedial work on the roof for the mgt co, I will be looking at it when i'm back.

I won't mention the sitting room / Kitchen with an open fireplace but no airvent at all, only two vents in the property are in the bedrooms, that is to be resolved later this year by the mgt co.

Advertisement