Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small hormonal rant

Options
  • 14-07-2011 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I just want to get it out of my system.Im 6 months pregnant now and have SPD.I have to use two crutches o get around.I arrivd at the train station in Pearse Street, and after 4 1/2 hours in hollest street with no lunch was very light headed.I REALLY needed to sit down, because of the bump and the unstable pelvis. No one..not one person could see me. A late train seems to turn eveyone blind.When it did arrive, I was pushed to the back of the q to board the train and bearly got a seat.I have to go back in next week and will most likely be getting the later train , which is a rush hour one.Im dreading it.Oh I have a huge bump, and wore my"I love my bump "T shirt.
    I honestly cnat stand for anymore that 1 minute , on the one leg and even when I got up to go, as the train was pulling in the chug of it stopping had me unsteady on my feet.
    I want to have the BALLS to ask for a seat.Thanks for reading.
    Cathy , and BUMP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

cathy01 wrote: »
    I want to have the BALLS to ask for a seat.Thanks for reading.
    That's the key part Cathy. People are so wrapped up in themselves. Men don't realise the exhaustion pregnancy can bring (although men & teenaged boys are best at giving up seats in my experience). Younger women think it's your own fault for getting up the pole. Older women forget what it was like. I can't believe though that you were on crutches and obviously pregnant and no one got up to let you sit down, that is horrendous. At least on the train there are the seats for people with disabilities or genuine need, of which you are one now, so don't be fazed by making someone able-bodied get up (I ask "Do all of you need disabled access seats or may I use one please?" just in case there are hidden needs among them, but usually there aren't). If there is a smartarse among them who says something like 'pregnancy isn't a disability you know', just thank them for the medical advice but that in your case, crutches are a necessity, not a fashion accessory. I've never had anyone argue with me when I've asked for a seat, most are too mortified.

Are there no similar needs-priority seats on the platform? If not, you are going to have to work up the nerve to ask someone for a seat. Once you do it the first time, you'll find it easier from then on in. Most people are so embarrassed to be asked that it makes them watch out for other people in future. Apart from being able to rest your bones, you'll be doing a civic good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Oh Cathy, that really bugs me! Even if you weren't pregnant, the fact that you were on crutches and they just barged passed? :mad: You fight your way onto the train next time and make sure you get a seat!

In the semi private clinic in Holles St, there's a narrow corridor and all the women queue on benches along the side of it, there's very limited space. Anyhow, obviously the first time visitors bring their husbands/partners with them so they can have a look at baby. Most of the time the men jump up when another pregnant woman comes along to make room on the bench, but I have seen some ignorant so and so's who stay sitting down and expect the pregnant woman to stand :eek: The midwives are quick to make a show of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

christ on a bike!!! thats unbelievable!!!! unfortunately it seems to be more and more common now, waiting for a scan in Lim Mat. Hosp. a few weeks ago, room packed, i had my husband with me and he stood so i could sit, but in came this eastern european, heavily pregnant woman, looked for a seat, not one other man would get up. then to make it worse, 2 men came in, they were with her, and when someone went in for a scan THEY BOTH sat down, leaving her standing!!!!talk about a second class citizen!:eek:
    this finally prompted another man to stand to let her sit down. and please dont feel that you need to blame hormones for feeling like this, pregnant or not the crutches alone should have clued someone to get up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Balbriggan train was hell when I was pregnant. I nearly always had to ask for a seat.
    Getting the bus was not an option.
    I was also extremely sick for the whole pregnancy so was grateful to have the train with toilets to get sick in but people would be smoking and drinking in them too which sometimes caused me to have to get off the train to be sick.
    It was a nightmare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Thanks Moonbeam I might, just might drive out as far as Baldoyle to my parents ,leave the car there and get the dart in and out.I really really couldnt stand for the journey.I might try the train and say feck it and ask for the seat.
    Thanks ,Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Cathy 01, I hear you with the SPD pain. I'm 8 mths pregnant and started with it last month. I've also started with Sciatica! I've a physios appointment next week. Do you find the crutches help?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nicole22

It is absolutely disgraceful that you have to ask for a seat! But saying that no one would mind, like others said they would just be embarrassed that they didn't offer it to you on their own accord...and so they should be! I was really, really hormonal yesterday when I read this and I started crying:P You really should just ask, SPD is no joke as you obviously know, I'm a week off 6mths as well and what started at 12 weeks as some discomfort is getting worse and worse, seeing my doc Monday and going to get her to refer me for physio before I get bigger and that aggravates it more. Hope you get offered a seat next time so you don't have to ask...but by all means do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I have two differnet types of body support/brace. One is soft , the other raps around me using 3 differnt belts.I have found them and the crithes a huge help.Before , if I as much as went to the shops Id be laid up all day in pain.At least this way, I can get out and about and the pain comes on at the end of a very long day.

Advertisement