Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which MTB hardtail to buy? GIANT XTC 3 or Cube Ltd Race?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Better spec on Cube, Fork, Brakes. Probably lighter too. LTD race is quite a light bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

This canyon is around the same price and nearly 2kg lighter than the cube

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2056

or for the same money
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2055

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

both v similar bikes, the cube has slightly slacker head/seat tube angles but makes up for it with a shorter wheelbase..

Your best bet is to have a test spin on both and see which suits you most..

If you want a good frame to build on then my choice would be the Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I have a Cube bike myself and therefore I'm biased on this one.
    I'd go for the Cube, better specs and I just like how light it feels when climbing up hills.
    While you're at it, budget in also some flats (with those screw-in spikes) or MTB clip-in pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

side by side,

The Cube LTD Race and Canyon 7.0 don't feel a lot different weight wise. Infact Cube feels a bit lighter.

I agree, if ridden well, the Cube just eats the climbs. I do think it would benefit from gripper rubber.

Cubes are available for test ride @ http://buildabike.ie/ off Capel Street. Just walk in and ask.

Although LTD race is out of stock in some places so look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

cheers everyone. Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Cube are nice bike wont go wrong there if you get one, have the ams hpc my self and love it, i checked out so may bikes before i went with cube really specs, weight, and just over all there just great. lads in buildabike are sound too.

Ill point out cube only make X amout of each bike per year so by now some will be sold out but if you keep a open mind you will get a good deal on one of them anyhow around your price/spc level!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

Whitehawk wrote: »
    Ill point out cube only make X amout of each bike per year so by now some will be sold out

I was in Cycle Superstore last Saturday and was told the same thing by the sales guy. They had a Cube LTD Race in a Medium (18") and Large (20") and they were the last two he had.

I very nearly bought the medium framed one but resisted the temptation and am glad I did as today I bought myself this cheeky little lady.....

Both the Cube and the Canyon are pretty much the same price but I think the components on the Canyon are far better than the Cube. Granted some may feel that the Fox 32 F100 fork on the Cube might be marginally better than the RockShox SID RLT on the Canyon, but look at the rest of the stuff on the Canyon:
    • Complete SRAM Drivechain
    • Mavic Crossride rims
    • Avid Elixir 3 brakes
    AND it's 1.5kg lighter!

Needless to say I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for my new toy! (Unfortunately instant gratification is not something that comes with buying a Canyon - hurry the f*ck up Mr Postman!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

SuiteCheex wrote: »

Needless to say I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for my new toy! (Unfortunately instant gratification is not something that comes with buying a Canyon - hurry the f*ck up Mr Postman!)
    One would want to have been a damn good kid all year to deserve that for Christmas. It's a very sweet ride. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

RedRobert wrote: »
    ...as the title suggests...think I have it narrowed down to these 2...
    Any thoughts very welcome.

Red,
    Does either Giant or Cube offer a crash replacement scheme? You should look into this before you decide.

I like Giants. However, that cube does look nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

SuiteCheex wrote: »

I very nearly bought the medium framed one but resisted the temptation and am glad I did as today I bought myself this cheeky little lady.....

Hmmm tasty, enjoy man. Are you getting the bike through btw?

FISMA wrote: »
    Red,
    Does either Giant or Cube offer a crash replacement scheme? You should look into this before you decide.

I like Giants. However, that cube does look nice.

don't know - must check that out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

FISMA wrote: »
    Red,
    Does either Giant or Cube offer a crash replacement scheme?

can you give more info on how such a scheme works - if you trash one of their bikes, they give a discount off a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

brian1976 wrote: »
    can you give more info on how such a scheme works - if you trash one of their bikes, they give a discount off a new one?
    cube do one i know, dont know exact % but here is example on hole thing,
    you reg you bike after you buy it with them,
    then say in year one something happens and you need new frame, they only charge you say 25% of the frame cost (rest of kit to take off old frame)
    year 2 say its then 50% and so on, not sure on what the % is but im sure if you look in to it you can find out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

brian1976 wrote: »

Brian,
    I am not sure if Giant or Cube does it, however, in the past companies like Cannondale used to buy back their old frames for new ones for a flat fee, no matter what.

It has been a long time since I last inquired. I am sure that with the carbon Cannondales like the 613 there has to be different rates.

Trek mentions their crash replacement here. But there are no $'s mentioned.

Point being that if such a scheme is in place, it is worth to consider such before buying.

Hmmm tasty, enjoy man. Are you getting the bike through btw?

Yeah, I sure am.

I was actually looking to get the Grand Canyon AL 6.0 but the office took so long to sort out the red tape that by the time I went to order the bike, the AL 6.0 was sold out. Evidently I was destined to buy the AL 7.0 ;)

OP, to answer your question, I'd go for the Giant over the Cube.

went for the GIANT - getting Wednesday!:D

went for the GIANT - getting Wednesday!:D

Nice one! Enjoy.

Had it 0.5 days and some fecker stole it on me:mad::mad::mad:

Had it 0.5 days and some fecker stole it on me:mad::mad::mad:
    Pretty crappy. Go out there and get yourself a cheap secondhand bike now so that you can still make use of that enthusiasm which had you buying this bike in the first place. Down the road you can save up and get yourself something nice again. The worst scenario would be for you to let this crappy experience put you off getting out on a bike.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It'd be better to PM that link and delete the content of that post.

^^^^^^ Done and done. Hopefully it is his. ^^^^^^

Advertisement