Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed home doorway camera audio & video

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Morning folks,

Just pondering getting a camera for a home doorway to record video and audio of undesirable conduct of certain trouble making neighbours. I have no up to date experience in this type of technology, or it's use in a legal sense, I am not sure whether a small disguised camera would be better to outright catch someone in the act - as in them not knowing it's there. Or, an obvious but smaller camera to deter them from this behaviour. The camera would be looking onto a public footpath and the estate road. There is no garden to the front of the house, the door is recessed but exits onto the public footpath.

Having being threatened the last day I would like to have evidence should it happen again. This is not something I'm personally concerned about, but there are other people living in the house and this is not on.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you any sort of budget in mind?
    Ideally you want a decent recorder with digital watermarking if you are planning to use any images as evidence.
    Good quality camera, look for 600+ tvl
    What sor of lighting do you have at night time.? You may need infred also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was thinking €300 to be honest, budget isn't good I know. There is a porch light out there. Talking it over with herself an obvious but not huge camera seems to be the way to go.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your looking at self install you might scrape something half decent for about €400 for one camera and a basic recorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd do a bit of DIY, badly :D Would there be much to a self install or is it drill a couple of holes, screw to the wall, run cables job?

Could you tell me what it is exactly I'd need equipment wise? I did have a look at the CCTVdirect site but I don't see anything regarding audio, but I did see the 600+ TVL cameras and the picture is good.

As I said earlier, I'm not knowledgeable in this field. Did have a security camera years and years ago camoflaged in a geranium :D But that's donkeys years ago now.

For a standard camera its low voltage power to camera & BNC connections at camera & recorder on RG59.
    Recorder to Monitor can be the same or VGA
    Then Cat 5 network cable from recorder to modem if you want remote access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement