Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200 Build Advice

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

After much deliberation with Tea_bag ive decided on a build for a pc i just want advice incase im missing something obvious of if there are better of cheaper parts i could change.

I already have a case and monitor.
    PC.jpg
    By the way i will be using this for gaming, Cad, Pro-enginer and possibly other design programs and will be using a 3 screen eyefinity setup at a later date

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

pic is really small on my mobile and I'm still a little drunk, so its really hard to focus lol. will you use this thread to show us your basket?

you probably don't need 12g of thermal paste. not for a single build anyway. and I might be mistaken, but I think the H80 has paste pre applied. concider getting the noctua ndh14 cooler instead. if you'd like to save money though, you could get the H70 instead. sandy bridge runs cool so you shouldn't need the bigger brother, but double check with benchmarks to be sure.

I'm a little worried that the i5 is out of stock..

oh, Im getting the XFX brand 6970 as it should carry a double lifetime warranty, which is good for resale value.

that wireless card doesn't work properly with windows 7. make sure the card you pick has windows 7 drivers on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I ve dropped the amount of Thermal paste
    The i5s are back in stock
    and the h70 has been discontinued

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    oh, Im getting the XFX brand 6970 as it should carry a double lifetime warranty, which is good for resale value.
    The xfx warenty only applies to the us apparently
    and is also out of stock on HVS

NTMK wrote: »
    The xfx warenty only applies to the us apparently

just looked it up there!
    :eek::eek::eek:

scum ******'s

not getting my money any more.
    how much is the evga 6970? they offer a 10 warranty unless I'm mistaken again?

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    just looked it up there!
    :eek::eek::eek:

scum ******'s

not getting my money any more.
    how much is the evga 6970? they offer a 10 warranty unless I'm mistaken again?

evga don't seem to do ati amd cards according to their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

whats with the 1000w psu?
    shouldn't a 850w easily power 2 6970's plus a overclocked 2500k?
    pluis wouldn't it make things alot easier for you to get a modular psu?

whats with the 1000w psu?
    shouldn't a 850w easily power 2 6970's plus a overclocked 2500k?
    pluis wouldn't it make things alot easier for you to get a modular psu?

i went with the 1000w to leave a nice bit of headroom
    modular psu are pricey no?

anyway heres the lasted basket

Total build cost: €1,210.08 + €30 shipping
    2 x Sapphire HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €279.75
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €151.97
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €175.28
    Corsair Hydro Series H80 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1) €73.32
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9 €58.13
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 1000W €101.04
    LG GH22NS50 bare schwarz €19.72
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Arctic Silver V, Wärmeleitpaste 1ml €4.68
    TP-Link TL-WN951N, 300Mbps PCI-Adapter €22.35

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

IMO, unless you plan to have 3 or four cards, drop the PSU Watts and buy something that's modular and/or more efficient.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31373
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33057

That's still a bit of room unless you have big upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No SSD? An oversight I am guessing. Noone is gonna build a e1000+ machine without an ssd today :)

Need to have a e1000 30" monitor to that machine. 2560x1600 for CAD+games. Much better than having 3x1080 monitors. Only very high resolutions+AA will stress it. You could also get a 27" 2560x1440.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

I was going to say the same. No SSD makes me a Sad Panda. D:

ssd is on the future upgrades list as their price is too high and reliability too low to warrant a purchase

I certainly cant afford a 30" monitor unfortunately.

The 6970 cf can draw over 620W so thats why i left head room and room for the efficiency rate

should go with this instead:

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp

it's 750w which will give you plenty of headroom with cf 6970's and a oc'd 2500k plus it's modular and the cables are flat so it's simple to do cable management with.

btw have you given any thaught to what case to be housing this all?

Any reason on the ATI boards instead of good nVidia ones if I may ask? You are already going the Intel route and traditionally it's been Intel/nVidia vs AMD/ATi (now AMD/AMD lol).

Honestly though, you would be better with two 560 Ti's in SLI, which will save you €86 and will not result in any noticeable difference I can assure you (as well as having the benefits of Phys-X and other nVidia goodies). Honestly, it will be just as good with less power usage and MUCH quieter fans.

Since nVidia ALWAYS uses less power than AMD, you can drop down to the 800w PSU (A 560Ti has a load wattage of 285 (presumably 570 for two) compared to the 347 (A whopping SIX HUNDRED AND NINETY FOUR!) of a 5790) which combined with the €83 saved you can grab a Crucial M4 64GB (which has had NOTHING but rave reviews and doesn't use the faulty controlers OCZ and Corsair do) which really is worth it on a system THIS juiced up.

Also, yeah, do you have a case?

should go with this instead:

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp

it's 750w which will give you plenty of headroom with cf 6970's and a oc'd 2500k plus it's modular and the cables are flat so it's simple to do cable management with.
    That link send me straight to HVS search page

btw have you given any thaught to what case to be housing this all?

Its going into a corsair graphite case

Leman wrote: »
    Any reason on the ATI boards instead of good nVidia ones if I may ask? You are already going the Intel route and traditionally it's been Intel/nVidia vs AMD/ATi (now AMD/AMD lol).

Price/performance ratio, Nvidia denial of problems with older cards(2008), leads me to ATI/AMD. Personally i'd rather go with the 6970's and put an ssd in around christmas/birthday

well nvidia don't always use less power then the amd cards lets not forget that the 400 series used alot more juice the amd's 5000 series did but the 500 series is looking good tho and it is a close one between amd and nvidia this generation but it seems amd have the edge for lower end card like the 6790 and the 6870 where as nvidia are dominating with there high end cards like the 560 ti and 570.

anyways sorry about the wrong link i meant this one:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28060&agid=1630

and nice choice on the case love the styling of the 600t
    but which one are you getting?

the standard black one?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39001&agid=631

or my personal fave the spiecal edition white one?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=47538&agid=631

well nvidia don't always use less power then the amd cards lets not forget that the 400 series used alot more juice the amd's 5000 series did but the 500 series is looking good tho and it is a close one between amd and nvidia this generation but it seems amd have the edge for lower end card like the 6790 and the 6870 where as nvidia are dominating with there high end cards like the 560 ti and 570.

and nice choice on the case love the styling of the 600t
    but which one are you getting?

the standard black one?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39001&agid=631

or my personal fave the spiecal edition white one?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=47538&agid=631

I have the Black one sitting here waiting for gear to be put into it

Price/performance ratio, Nvidia denial of problems with older cards(2008), leads me to ATI/AMD. Personally i'd rather go with the 6970's and put an ssd in around christmas/birthday

that is true thats actually the reason why i prefer amd cards now myself because i had a 9600gt circa 2008 and the driver suport just put me right off them.
    but who knows maybe in the near future i may be able to trust them again

You don't know anything about "poor driver support" until you try and run AMD on Linux. >: (

In any case, your call, just offering my opinion is all. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks do you think the 850 is worth the extra €20

If you are going AMD then yes.

definatly, considering it's 80+ silver it will save you on your electric bill in a couple of months plus i'm pretty sure corsair offer a better warenty then super-flower but i'm not 100% sure.

heres a vid of it if you want to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2ja-WOxyA

Having 2 graphics card is a joke. AMD cards are quieter than equivalent nvidia. Dunno what guy on last page was talking about.

Spend your money on SSD rather than silly stuff instead. Also your monitor is probably the most important part of your rig. If you don't have a 30" monitor then you don't need a monster rig like above.

just thaught of something, wouldn't it be better to get a 6990 instead of messing around with cf configurations?
    i know the 6990 are two slight underclocked 6970's so there would be a tiny loss in performance but wouldn't it garentee to be more stable that way?

Yes it would. CF is ****, whether on AMD or nvidia. Spend money on an SSD instead. Oh, OP they are cheap and reliable these days. No excuse not to get one, just do research properly (sorry I don't know what the best ssd to get right now is, I got a c300 but that isn't best anymore).

The 6970 cf can draw over 620W so thats why i left head room and room for the efficiency rate

I had actually read your list as two 6870s. What do you mean "room for efficiency"? Overspecing a PSU will decrease efficiency.

The truepower new 750W (bronze rated efficiency)
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31374
    The Corsair 750W HX as linked by IMH (silver rated)
    or the golden green 750W
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33065
    are all very good PSUs.
    Leman wrote: »

I thought it was the other way around before the takeover. Weren't most of the early SLI boards AMD and crossfire on Intel?
    Honestly though, you would be better with two 560 Ti's in SLI, which will save you €86 and will not result in any noticeable difference I can assure you (as well as having the benefits of Phys-X and other nVidia goodies). Honestly, it will be just as good with less power usage and MUCH quieter fans.

The 560ti is closer to the 6950, which is priced about the same. Also, the crossfire 6000 series will scale better than the 500 series, so you'll lose out further.

The 5970 is dual GPU card - A last generation card at that.
    The 560ti is a very nice card, but the thing that will will save you the most is not blinding yourself with loyalty to one company or another!

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yes it would. CF is ****, whether on AMD or nvidia. Spend money on an SSD instead. Oh, OP they are cheap and reliable these days. No excuse not to get one, just do research properly (sorry I don't know what the best ssd to get right now is, I got a c300 but that isn't best anymore).

You'd probably need the crossfire for three monitors though. I'd say get 6950s instead and sqeeze in a small SSD.

Monotype wrote: »
    I had actually read your list as two 6870s. What do you mean "room for efficiency"? Overspecing a PSU will decrease efficiency.

The truepower new 750W (bronze rated efficiency)
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31374
    The Corsair 750W HX as linked by IMH (silver rated)
    or the golden green 750W
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33065
    are all very good PSUs.
    Sorry that was really badly worded i meant it to say room for the fact that a psu true wattage is lower than stated
    The 5970 is dual GPU card - A last generation card at that.
    The 560ti is a very nice card, but the thing that will will save you the most is not blinding yourself with loyalty to one company or another!

You'd probably need the crossfire for three monitors though. I'd say get 6950s instead and sqeeze in a small SSD.

Im not a ATI fanboy by any means just very bad memories of the 08 generation in my desktop and my Hotplate/laptop

Im still considering the ssd i may throw one in on top of the current set up:o

The main time to be worried about overrated PSUs is with the cheapo ones which just pick a number out of the air. There's no need to overestimate that much and if you are concerned about an overrated PSU, take a look at the 12V rail. Most of the modern components will rely and this and it should have correlating specifications.
    For example, the 750 HX lists the 12V rail as capable of 60A.

60 x 12 = 720W. Which is plenty. Given that this is a well known PSU and not some random "Awesome-Cooltek" one or something, you are fairly safe in believing them.

• Advertisement

Can i just argue for the 1000W for a moment.

you're all saying to get a 850W PSU, but these 850W PSU's are €30 more than the amazon 1000W, and leave less room for future upgrades, one of which i can see being a 3rd 6970 for trifire (handy for eyefinity i'd imagine) i dont think 850W would be a good idea on 3x 6970's, whereas the 1000W should cut the mustard.

and paying a €30 premium for a lower wattage PSU (albeit higher eff: bronze vs silver) doesnt sound great. there is no need for modular either, cause the Corsair 600t has a mahoosive space behind the mobo tray, so all the excess cables could be thrown back there?

Advertisement