Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    I don't get this, why do we need stairways on both sides of the road to prevent students from crossing. I've jumped the rail more times than I can remember (it's fun too) on the side where there's no steps.

The only reason I can see for attempting to cross the road is access to Dun Na Coiribe. This is already facilitated by the existing steps, what with them being on the same side of the road and all that.

Think about it a bit more!
    Hint to make it easier for you: I want to go to the Omniplex from the Kingfisher Gym in NUIG without getting mucky shoes and hopping over crash barriers?

Friday October 28, 2011 - Further to ongoing improvement works along the N6 Corridor please note the following:

To facilitate the completion of surfacing works at the junction between Newcastle Upper (N59) and the Quincentennial Bridge (N6), lane restrictions will be in operation between 10:00 am and 16:00 on Friday October 28, 2011. Note this work is subject to weather conditions.

Galway Transportation Unit wishes to apologise for the inconvenience caused to all road users in relation to these lane restrictions.

Any idea's what the "completion of surfacing works" means?
    Are they going to paint in the Hook Turn Boxes? or Perhaps the Cycle Lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

I wish they had thought about the position of the steel access junction which is right at the turning point in the cycle lane at moycullen/bridge corner of the junction.

I can see a few falls because of this, with cyclists coming to/from moycullen and heading over bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

fago wrote: »
    I wish they had thought about the position of the steel access junction which is right at the turning point in the cycle lane at moycullen/bridge corner of the junction.
    I can see a few falls because of this, with cyclists coming to/from moycullen and heading over bridge.

Contact the liable agent and let them know.
    roads @ galwaycity.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I don't get this, why do we need stairways on both sides of the road to prevent students from crossing. I've jumped the rail more times than I can remember (it's fun too) on the side where there's no steps.

The only reason I can see for attempting to cross the road is access to Dun Na Coiribe. This is already facilitated by the existing steps, what with them being on the same side of the road and all that.

Trying doing that in a wheelchair. IMO all students should be facilitated to attend all parts of the university, and accessibility standards should not based on the experiences of able-bodied students who find it fun to jump over physical barriers. I know of one blind Postgrad student currently who finds the academic programme challenging enough, without also having to worry about safe and convenient access to the campus.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/disability/index.html

http://www.nuigalway.ie/disability/visual.html

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    So you would be against a pedestrian bridge in that location and in other locations? I think we can all agree that a pedestrian bridge would make it a great deal safer for pedestrians so I'm interested to know why you don't want one. Is it because a pedestrian bridge would also benefit motorists (in the form of slightly better traffic flow) and you're against that?

I'm generally in favour of facilities that provide safe and convenient routes for non car users. If pedestrian bridges meet those broad requirements, and also facilitate disabled and mobility-impaired people, then I would have no objection and would probably support such proposals.

Underpasses are more problematic, given the security reervations some people have about them.

BTW, it has already been pointed out in this thread that a footbridge was to be included in the SQR modifications, but it mysteriously disappeared from the final plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Underpasses are more problematic, given the security reervations some people have about them.
    Agree. Underpasses can attract anti-social behaviour.
    BTW, it has already been pointed out in this thread that a footbridge was to be included in the SQR modifications, but it mysteriously disappeared from the final plans.

I'm pretty annoyed about this. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Trying doing that in a wheelchair. IMO all students should be facilitated to attend all parts of the university, and accessibility standards should not based on the experiences of able-bodied students who find it fun to jump over physical barriers. I know of one blind Postgrad student currently who finds the academic programme challenging enough, without also having to worry about safe and convenient access to the campus.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/disability/index.html

http://www.nuigalway.ie/disability/visual.html

There's no way somebody in a wheelchair is going to go near the stairs that are already there.

You know what, I've never seen anybody in a wheelchair on the footpath on the QB (and don't expect to any time soon either).

There's no way somebody in a wheelchair is going to go near the stairs that are already there.

You know what, I've never seen anybody in a wheelchair on the footpath on the QB (and don't expect to any time soon either).

Given the challenges faced by able-bodied pedestrians at certain points along that route and in many other parts of Galway City, it is hardly surprising that disabled people might be conspicuous by their absence. It's already tricky enough on uncontrolled sections of the Bodkin Roundabout -- tough luck if you're too young, too old or too mobiity-impaired to sprint when crossing from Dun na Coiribe towards the Omniplex when vehicles are accelerating off the roundabout towards the QB.

My point is that best practice post the 2005 Disabiity Act is universal access. Institutions like NUIG should not be basing their access standards on people who find fun in jumping over physical barriers.

http://www.access4all.ie/AboutUs.htm

The "I've never seen X" argument is not a valid one in this context, IMO. Irish transportation, spatial planning and economic policies have greatly contributed to the overall reduction in numbers of active commuters over the decades. Since our local and national policy-makers have presided over this decline, IMO it is not tenable for them to use the fact that, for example, only two or three percent of people now commute by bike nationally as justification for ramming substandard infrastructure down cyclists' throats, as was done by a former mayor in relation to this travesty.

Recent and future developments, such as the SQR modifications (however imperfect), suggest that the balance is being somewhat tipped in favour of sustainable transport, which is the way it should be IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looking at the corner by the pitch at the old Rahoon Flats this morning I was left with the impression that a substantial retaining structure must still be built around there before any bit of road can open.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    I'm pretty annoyed about this. :mad:

Why so angry at its omission? The concrete or the planning process?

Have you actually cycled on this road?

Have you actually cycled on this road?

Yes.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Looking at the corner by the pitch at the old Rahoon Flats this morning I was left with the impression that a substantial retaining structure must still be built around there before any bit of road can open.

Is this the spot?

Why might a retaining structure be needed?

Precisely that spot, you will notice the new road is much higher and more 'massive' there right now.

Looks very soft underneath and the road/pavement could sink and knock out the large sewer that is visible sticking up there as well when it goes.

One of the reasons given by the GTU regarding the delays was that they had unexpectedly encountered "extremely bad ground" during excavations.

Are you thinking of a retaining structure only during construction, or something permanent?

I'd say permanent. Big lump of a concrete pour into rebar. having said that I don't have the geotechnical data myself like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

One of the reasons given by the GTU regarding the delays was that they had unexpectedly encountered "extremely bad ground" during excavations.

Are you thinking of a retaining structure only during construction, or something permanent?

Yea as I understand it they found very deep bog that had to be dug out. I think they may also have found one sewer running under another in an awkward position.

Only crap then? No bog butter, chalices, brooches, canoes, antlers, preserved human remains or Roman ruins?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Only crap then? No bog butter, chalices, brooches, canoes, antlers, preserved human remains or Roman ruins?

Might have been a few bog frogs :pac:

• Advertisement

Update.

Even if it does not rain I consider the stated plans for the 14th and 22nd to be rather unlikely and would suspect a December date as the more likely outcome. They had better sort the new street lights out pronto so they had.
    On Thursday November 10, subject to works being completed depending on weather conditions, traffic will be switched from the existing road onto the newly constructed northern side of the road from the Browne Roundabout (adjacent to Corrib Park) as far as the Circular Road junction (adjacent to Glen Dara).

During the week beginning Monday 14, traffic will be switched over onto the newly constructed section of road from the Rahoon Road junction to the Circular Road junction.

On Tuesday, 22nd November, 2-way traffic will be re-introduced on the section of road from the Deane Roundabout (at Fort Lorenzo) to the Rahoon Road junction.

The Galway Transportation Unit wishes to take this opportunity to thank you for your cooperation during the construction of this significant project. Should you have any queries contact our office at: (091) 894328.

Will be interesting to see how the cyclists and pedestrians cope with the new facilities on one side.

Will be interesting to see how the cyclists and pedestrians cope with the new facilities on one side.

I'd imagine the way they usually do - not at all well - and blame motorists for it.

True, even before the roadworks the cityside footpath was used more extensively. Cycle paths, cycle path chicanes at the bus stops and the cycle lanes at junctions will prove interesting during this period. Will the design stop contra/salmon cyclists on the footpaths?

I'd imagine the way they usually do - not at all well - and blame motorists for it.

Those pesky pedestrians, cyclists and bus users -- always getting in the way of real traffic.

00-LM-1214.jpg

The weather was fine since the corpo issued this schedule ONLY LAST WEEK and yet again they missed their target, looks like Monday earliest to me. Wearing course was applied this week ( top coat of tarmac) but there are no road markings yet.
    Update.
    On Thursday November 10, subject to works being completed depending on weather conditions, traffic will be switched from the existing road onto the newly constructed northern side of the road from the Browne Roundabout (adjacent to Corrib Park) as far as the Circular Road junction (adjacent to Glen Dara).

Even if it does not rain I consider the stated plans for the 14th and 22nd to be rather unlikely and would suspect a December date as the more likely outcome. They had better sort the new street lights out pronto so they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The weather was fine since the corpo issued this schedule ONLY LAST WEEK and yet again they missed their target, looks like Monday earliest to me. Wearing course was applied this week ( top coat of tarmac) but there are no road markings yet.

Road markings are down from Newcastle roundabout up to about half way between the Rahoon junction and the Glenoaks and a lot of activity there now so I'd say they are getting ready to switch traffic over the weekend.

They fair threw machines at it this week, must be planning on opening from the Cemetary Road to Corrib Park in one go now. Any traffic lights installed at the Aldi turn yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Anto don't you drive a Renault? :p

• Advertisement

Advertisement