Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Those pesky pedestrians, cyclists and bus users -- always getting in the way of real traffic.

00-LM-1214.jpg

There should be a Shame Thread for bad parkers. Take a photo and post it here. What do u reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

There is and I have.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055438379

BTW, can you edit your post and change the IMG tags to URL? Just in case the Mods are not happy with a quoted pic (one being enough presumably!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Those pesky pedestrians, cyclists and bus users -- always getting in the way of real traffic.

00-LM-1214.jpg

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this picture. You people don't know what you're talking about.

The driver clearly has his hazard lights, or 'nippin lights' on - i.e. I'm just nippin in for some fags.

Everyone know that activating your nippin lights gives you the right to park like a complete c*nt. Duh:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Malice wrote: »
    Anto don't you drive a Renault? :p

No, I have an american car

Besides, I'd never buy a limerick reg car - you'd never know what you'd find the the boot....

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with this picture. You people don't know what you're talking about.

The driver clearly has his hazard lights, or 'nippin lights' on - i.e. I'm just nippin in for some fags.

Everyone know that activating your nippin lights gives you the right to park like a complete c*nt. Duh:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing unusual is happening, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

antoobrien wrote: »
    No, I have an american car

Besides, I'd never buy a limerick reg car - you'd never know what you'd find the the boot....

What would you expect to find in the boot of a car from Leitrim?

ErnieBert wrote: »
    What would you expect to find in the boot of a car from Leitrim?

The original Limerick reg plates? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The surface of the partially reopened road is sooo smooth. It needs a rollerbladeathon to have it christened.

Due to the lights being switched off at the Aldi junction, Coffeys have put a man on pedestrian crossing duty for certain hours. Must cost a fair few bob.
    I predict ordered chaos tomorrow at that junction unless they put in some stop'n'go system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Twill me mad tomorrow, neither set of traffic lights works and the school run to Shantalla beckons of an AM. :)

Are all the street lights working along the newly opened section yet.

They opened well beyond circular road in the end but I reckon the traffic will only be on continous new road in December earliest not when the corpo reckons...thereby permitting the digging out of all of the old carriageway and footpath.

This is what they said as recently as weds last week.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/021111_01.html
    On Thursday, 10th November, subject to works being completed depending on weather conditions, traffic will be switched from the existing road onto the newly constructed northern side of the road from the Browne Roundabout (adjacent to Corrib Park) as far as the Circular Road junction (adjacent to Glen Dara).

and here are the next set of promises.
    During the week beginning Monday, 14th November, traffic will be switched over onto the newly constructed section of road from the Rahoon Road junction to the Circular Road junction.

On Tuesday, 22nd November, 2-way traffic will be re-introduced on the section of road from the Deane Roundabout (at Fort Lorenzo) to the Rahoon Road junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Except that it is ILLEGAL to park like that. The boy exiting the car looks so ugly too. Stupid drivers like that need to face insurance hikes where it hurts their pocket the most.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    The surface of the partially reopened road is sooo smooth. It needs a rollerbladeathon to have it christened.

Due to the lights being switched off at the Aldi junction, Coffeys have put a man on pedestrian crossing duty for certain hours. Must cost a fair few bob.
    I predict ordered chaos tomorrow at that junction unless they put in some stop'n'go system.

They need to make the temporary lanes (cones, signs etc) a bit clearer. The arrangement at the Aldi junction looks like it might be dodgy too, especially in poor visibility/weather.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I see at last night's Council meeting a vote was passed to redevelop the 500m of Rahoon road linking to Seamus Quirke to include bus and cycle lanes.

No idea where the money will come from, especially if the budget overspend on the current scheme is as dramatic as Padraic Conneely says, but score one for the Red Bus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robbo wrote: »
    I see at last night's Council meeting a vote was passed to redevelop the 500m of Rahoon road linking to Seamus Quirke to include bus and cycle lanes.

No idea where the money will come from, especially if the budget overspend on the current scheme is as dramatic as Padraic Conneely says, but score one for the Red Bus.

How far up that road? It already seems plenty wide up as far as the turn in to the Distributor road.

So much fun these mornings with no traffic lights!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    How far up that road? It already seems plenty wide up as far as the turn in to the Distributor road.

So much fun these mornings with no traffic lights!
    500m would bring you up close enough to the junction with Bothar Stiofain.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robbo wrote: »
    500m would bring you up close enough to the junction with Bothar Stiofain.

Missed the 500m bit in your first post. :o

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22680-bill-quirke-road-works-soars-€6m-more

A city councillor has said a cost over-run on the Seamus Quirke Road widening scheme – now estimated to cost an extra €4m to €6m – is an appalling indictment of the City Council.

Cllr Peter Keane said there is zero accountability in the Council on the series of problems which have arisen over the past year – the project is set to be at least five months behind schedule.

And a series of costly over-runs are still being totted up – it emerged last night that because a utility company’s services were not located as shown on a map, the contractors have sought a further €800,000.

Director of Services for Transportation Ciaran Hayes said the cost of the contract was €12m, but this was disputed by councillors who said they were told it would be €10m, but they had since learned the cost would be more like €16m.

“Where are we going to get the Seamus Quirke Road money? We need at least €4m now. There is zero accountability here. It’s an appalling indictment of the country,” said Cllr Keane.

Can we trust the city council to not have massive overruns in the other projects after this?

My guess is that the overrun will be nearer €2m unless they find a neolithic bog currach or something like that when they dig out the old road in which case it could hit €4-6m.

Coffey will make a nice windfall on the overruns of course and nobody in the Corpo will face any sanctions for their failure. The lads all got a big annual bonus even when they made a dogs dinner of Eyre Square although these bonus payments are now abolished.

Nevertheless I consider it highly unlikely that the job will finish in March...more like June if we are lucky and then only if some sense of urgency manifests itself.

For our €12m we will get 2 cycle lanes and 2 24 hour Bus Lanes that will carry 1 bus every hour or so (averaged over 24 hours) each. Smart and Green planning Galway style. :D

Hard to trust the Council on anything.

IIRC correctly, the head of the GTU said a while back that the various utilities (ESB cables etc) were "all over the place". It wouldn't be Ireland if anyone was meticulous or even much bothered about the selection and mapping of their original locations.

On another note, I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve with the placement of this sign:

SQR-new-bike-path.jpg

There is another past the Aldi turn. Maybe they simply want to mark the cycle path clearly before they open it.

Galwaycyclist will no doubt turn up with the facts ...Galwaycyclist is really good with practical and real stuff like that unlike some of the green loo laas around the town. :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    For our €12m we will get 2 cycle lanes and 2 24 hour Bus Lanes that will carry 1 bus every hour or so (averaged over 24 hours) each. Smart and Green planning Galway style. :D

It's a typically slow Irish start, but a start nonetheless.

The highly successful #9 Parkmore route is what, 2.3 buses per hour (averaged over 24 hours)?

• Advertisement

Galwaycyclist will no doubt turn up with the facts ...Galwaycyclist is really good with practical and real stuff like that unlike some of the green loo laas around the town. :D

He must be a 25th generation local so... ;)

On another note, I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve with the placement of this sign:

SQR-new-bike-path.jpg

Quite obvious really, don't use the bike lane.

Any chance of some pictures from before where you've taken that one, and perhaps after the bus stop in the distance to maybe see a reason for the path & cycle lane not being open? As ity is things don't look finished

It's a typically slow Irish start, but a start nonetheless.

The highly successful #9 Parkmore route is what, 2.3 buses per hour (averaged over 24 hours)?

Even at 4 buses and hour (7-7) a bus lane wouldn't be justified - so you wouldn't add one for say the #3 bus. The #9 bus gets the benefit of the bus lane for the intercity buses (up to Lurgan park) as well as the renmore buses.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Even at 4 buses and hour (7-7) a bus lane wouldn't be justified
    Of course, but in the "Smart and Green" loo lah land inhabited by Galway green party types spending €12m-€16m a Mile just to get 2 buslanes and 2 cycle lanes is a perfectly justifiable indulgence'investment' where spending €12m a mile on a bypass to remove traffic out of everybodys way is seemingly not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's to tell motorists to stay to the right of that sign. It's a new layout after all.

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's to tell motorists to stay to the right of that sign. It's a new layout after all.

The cycle path is actually open, AFAICS. It definitely was open, further down. I think it may have been just the usual practice of using bike lanes and footpaths as handy spots for road signs.

Of course, but in the "Smart and Green" loo lah land inhabited by Galway green party types spending €12m-€16m a Mile just to get 2 buslanes and 2 cycle lanes is a perfectly justifiable indulgence'investment' where spending €12m a mile on a bypass to remove traffic out of everybodys way is seemingly not.

I know Green-bashing is a favourite pastime in these parts, even post their predictable electoral wipeout, but AFAIK such bus lanes have been local and national policy for quite some time.

The SQR modifications were also approved by a statutory body, An Bord Pleanala, as was a portion of the GCOB.

But whatever you do, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

There is another past the Aldi turn. Maybe they simply want to mark the cycle path clearly before they open it.

I wish :rolleyes: Sadly when it comes to the city council executive and the design of this road, the terms "real" and "practical" have limited occasion to co-exist in the same sentence.

I wish :rolleyes:

Drat, I was sure you would know :) Absent markings it is currently an undertaking facility eastbound at the Aldi of course. You could stop right hand turns there and make it whole....bet they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

The contractors (Coffey) should be deducted 6 million EUR because they did not expedite this project. Meanwhile, Galway City Council decides to Okay that with 6 million EUR of taxpayers money. So glad those pay cuts are on the way to those inefficient, inept public servants. They deserve to be fired.

Advertisement