Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well you have not been conversing with me.
    Indeed it is neither a nightmare nor a frightening experience necessitating smelling salts.
    I for one shall continue to promenade with deliberate poise and resolute ambition as I meander in my daily quest to survive another day. I regularly observer others as spirited as I, saunter, in a jolly manner may I add, the extreme length of the Seamus Quirke carriageway.

well, just be carefeul snubbleste, and remember, pride comes before a fall ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Well you have not been conversing with me.
    Indeed it is neither a nightmare nor a frightening experience necessitating smelling salts.
    I for one shall continue to promenade with deliberate poise and resolute ambition as I meander in my daily quest to survive another day. I regularly observer others as spirited as I, saunter, in a jolly manner may I add, the extreme length of the Seamus Quirke carriageway.

It is elementary, my dear Snubbleste. Those are none but the construction workers, I'll wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

well, just be carefeul snubbleste, and remember, pride comes before a fall ;)
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It is elementary, my dear Snubbleste. Those are none but the construction workers, I'll wager.

God forbid anybody expresses comfort using a road in Galway.

antoobrien wrote: »
    God forbid anybody expresses comfort using a road in Galway.

the new road to dublin isn't bad :D

the new road to dublin isn't bad :D

Ideal for promenading with deliberate poise and resolute ambition, or indeed sauntering in a jolly manner.

Assuming one is jolly and has even a rudimentary sense of humour, that is... ;)

• Advertisement

Ideal for promenading with deliberate poise and resolute ambition, or indeed sauntering in a jolly manner.

Assuming one is jolly and has even a rudimentary sense of humour, that is... ;)

sorry, have never tried "sauntering" on a motorway. :p

oh so THAT's what snubbelse looks like :P:P

wow, seemingly there is EIGHTEEN safety issues on this road, but yet again they want to keep us in the dark about them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

According to the Advertiser, from Valentines Day, we're back to a one way system from the Fort Lorenzo roundabout to Rahoon road, with traffic heading towards Westside diverted around by Millars Lane again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

In the last day or two some of the "ramps" for the "cycle paths" have had three of the orange plastic poles fixed across them at right angles. Suggests somebody has taken note of some of the complaints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Saw that new feature fitted to stop cars from going up on the cycle path. but I was waiting for a cyclist to tell us they have gaps between them into which a bicycle can easily fit. :)

I reckon they could even get the bottom of the scheme open as far as the Aldi turn by the end of March if they get the finger out and perhaps even to Gleann Dara if we are very very lucky.

The rest of it, nahh. After the builders holiday at easter some time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I cycled that way earlier, those red things are an absolute nuisance. They should put them on both sides of a traffic lane, see if motorists travelling along can avoid hitting them..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Very slow traffic from the RB at Fort Lorenzo down to Westside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Saw that new feature fitted to stop cars from going up on the cycle path. but I was waiting for a cyclist to tell us they have gaps between them into which a bicycle can easily fit. :)

I reckon they could even get the bottom of the scheme open as far as the Aldi turn by the end of March if they get the finger out and perhaps even to Gleann Dara if we are very very lucky.

The rest of it, nahh. After the builders holiday at easter some time.

Passed through there today, looks like everything from Aldi up to Gleann Dara is nearly good to go (which means at the rate at which things are going will mean that we won't see it being completed until the end of March:rolleyes:). There's still some work to be done by the Aldi and the garage. Between the Glenoaks and Fort Lorenzo there's still a lot to be done - at the current rate of progress there's no way it will be done by the end of March, although now that it's gone back to one way traffic that might hurry things up a little.

Has nobody in Coffey construction noticed the appalling quality of the road surface between the two Rahoon Road junctions? Ffs this bit of the road is not open all that long - there are jumps in the road for no apparent reason:(:rolleyes:! This is the crowd that started the works on removing two of the roundabouts.

There is an awful lot to like about Galway but the traffic is appalling and the incompetance of the city council really does beggar belief:mad:!

I cycled that way earlier, those red things are an absolute nuisance. They should put them on both sides of a traffic lane, see if motorists travelling along can avoid hitting them..

Are those bollards permanent? I'm assuming they are a temporary measure to keep motorists from inadvertently driving on the "cycle paths" while the works are in progress.

Still, you never know in this town...

Passed through there today, looks like everything from Aldi up to Gleann Dara is nearly good to go (which means at the rate at which things are going will mean that we won't see it being completed until the end of March:rolleyes:).

There is no road surfacing ( only gravel base) and no footpaths but I take your point :) The outline of where a road will one day be has appeared from Corrib park to c.Gleann Dara.
    Has nobody in Coffey construction noticed the appalling quality of the road surface between the two Rahoon Road junctions? Ffs this bit of the road is not open all that long -

It is not half finished for starters, it is only half its finished pavement depth and even that much is collapsing along its southern verge where they removed the Sheet Piling that held it in.

But they could finish the road from Corrib park to Gleann Dara by the end of March ....which is not to say they will mind. Perhaps by the builders holiday a week or two later.

Are those bollards permanent? I'm assuming they are a temporary measure to keep motorists from inadvertently driving on the "cycle paths" while the works are in progress.
    Still, you never know in this town...

They are temporary. They are made of plastic and are flexible, ie they wobble if you hit them slightly. However they seem to disappear every few days ie. knocked down pretty often by motorists and the pedestal that is affixed to the ground holding them in place is dangerous to cyclists.

Those plastic bendy bollards are in widespread use now, and they are permanently installed in many locations.

I'm presuming they're a temporary damage limitation device during the SQR roadworks, but I can't help feeling a degree of suspicion that they might be intended as a permanent feature. It would be farcical of course, but local authorities doing things that are a complete joke is not unheard of.

You have done bendy bollards and bicycles to death and into the afterlife. :(

Lets go back to discussing what most people want ...........which is a driveable road.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the bollards are there because so many motorists using the SQR as is are unable to distinguish between the road and the "cycle path".

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out in the end. Depending on the school situation I may have to use that road more often than I'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You have done bendy bollards and bicycles to death and into the afterlife. :(

Lets go back to discussing what most people want ...........which is a driveable functioning road roadway.

Fixed that for ya.

Bit of tarmac has appeared on the new road...around Aldi.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The place was a hive of activity today by comparison. The roundabout replacement gigs must have given Coffeys a shot in the arm so to speak.

Bit of tarmac has appeared on the new road...around Aldi.

There seems to have been some element of road surfacing between Rahoon Road/Mincloon junction and Fort Lorenzo as well. I am optimistic that the hospital to the Glenoaks part will be done by the end of March! Though they'll have to resurface all the road that is currently open because there's some amount of bumps on it already:(!

There is now tarmac between the Topaz garage and the Lidl, and yesterday morning they were in the process of putting down layers of tarmac from Fine Wines as far as Rahoon Road/Shantalla junction:eek:!

They've also put down tarmac between the Corrib Park (Browne) roundabout and the Lidl store, surely they'll have the bit from the Hospital/Browne Roundabout up as far as the junction for Gleann Dara open by the end of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Really picked up a gear today, loads of tarmacadam going down, barriers being removed, road sweepers working, I think the new entrance to Dunnes will open today looks to be finished. I am getting excited at last :D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Really picked up a gear today, loads of tarmacadam going down, barriers being removed, road sweepers working, I think the new entrance to Dunnes will open today looks to be finished. I am getting excited at last

There's a new entrance to Dunnes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There's a new entrance to Dunnes?

The same entrance but its twice as wide as the old one.

Advertisement