Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

snubbleste wrote: »
    I hit a pedestrian today with my shiny bicycle near BótharLeChéile.
    He stepped off the footpath onto the cycle path about to cross the road, looking out for motorists only and I just slammed gently into him.
    Poor guy was a bit scattered but no injuries, I have some bruises.

Must have been the day for it ... I almost got mowed down by two cars while trying to cross over at the top of Rahoon Road on my bike. Some motorists seem to just zoom through the intersection there and, even as an experienced cyclist, it's really scary trying to get across there at peak hours. As a cyclist, I have no option but to get off the new cyclelane if I want to cross to get down Rahoon Road.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but very relevant.

A few weeks ago, newly constructed junction was opened where Devon Park meets Dr Mannix Road. It took about two months to complete.

Today, the were removing some of it up to widen the the junction and remove the sharpness of the angle which drivers need to take.

I can't understand how an engineer would spend so long studying and then make a mess of a simple task like this.

It would seem that there are going to be a lot of mistakes on the SQR and the workers will be back fixing these 'oversights' during the summer.

(Off topic - does it deserve a thread of it's own?)
    Are you sure thats the intention? They forgot to put in footpaths(to cross the junction itself) as well as dished kerbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

I rang the City council again on Friday evening. Upshot of a lot of bouncing around was Tom Cannon from Tobin engineering rang me back. I explained the accident I'd had. He was courteous, well informed and took some time to explain the design principles they'd followed. That trip-hazard is by design and should be 50mm. It's part of the national design manual although they don't call it a 'trip-hazard', and the intent is to keep pedestrians off the cycleway. The road (clearly) hasn't been signed off yet but the height will be checked before it is. Also road markings and signage will be added that should help keep the pedestrians separated.

This was the first accident Tom had heard about and was surprised that I could relay at least two other incidents on that stretch. He expects to be onsite in the next couple of days and with discuss with the contractor temporary signage to reduce risk.

@snubbleste - if you could take the time to report your accident to City Council / Tom Cannon (you'll find Tobin's details on their website) it could help highlight the working problems the road is having, albeit under construction phase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just so you know slideshow bob, the location you have issues with now has a big orange temporay sign plonked right on the bike path secured by a sandbag.
    It states 'Diversion' I presume it is for motorists.
    So you are on the bike path heading east to the roundabout and this thing is blocking your way, so you either brake or mount the footpath or crash into the permanent traffic jam to your right.

Edit: and there is not enough space on the road at the moment for a cyclist and a motorist due to the narrow lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

snubbleste wrote: »
    the location you have issues with now has a big orange temporay sign plonked right on the bike path secured by a sandbag.
    It states 'Diversion' I presume it is for motorists.
    So you are on the bike path heading east to the roundabout and this thing is blocking your way, so you either brake or mount the footpath or crash into the permanent traffic jam to your right.

Or mount the footpath and crash...

I believe A&E are advising cyclists that show up there (yes plural, yes A&E know it's hurting people) to avoid SQR until the construction is finished. Best advice I've heard from the HSE for a good while and I think I'll be heeding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I see the side where all the roadworks were going on between the Glenoaks and Fort Lorenzo has had the first layer of tarmac laid down, as have all the footpaths. Most of the footpaths on the side that all the work is being done have been layed down at this stage.

Work is ongoing at the Lidl/Fine Wines junction, and stretch from the Topaz garage to Aldi has also had what looks like the final layer of tarmac laid down. From the Corrib Park (Browne) roundabout as far as Aldi is basically ready to be opened now apart from the fact they haven't put down tarmac on the cycle paths. They're also pretty much there between the Lidl/Fine Wines junction and the Shantalla junction as well apart from the corner needless to say, but at least there is work being done there.

It looks like they're actually making some sort of effort to not be far beyond the mid April deadline, well as far as the Shantalla junction anyway:D. I can't see any tarmac going down between the Shantalla junction and the Glenoaks for another while, as you can still see plenty of pipes around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Best completion estimate now (assuming they take their builders holiday in April) is:

1. Corrib Park To Shantalla junction. Early May.
    2. Rahoon-Fort Lorenzo. Early June.

Knock a week or so off those timelines if they work through the traditional easter builders holiday.

There is no chance the job will be completed either in March or in April, none whatsoever. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but very relevant.

A few weeks ago, newly constructed junction was opened where Devon Park meets Dr Mannix Road. It took about two months to complete.

Today, the were removing some of it up to widen the the junction and remove the sharpness of the angle which drivers need to take.

I can't understand how an engineer would spend so long studying and then make a mess of a simple task like this.

It would seem that there are going to be a lot of mistakes on the SQR and the workers will be back fixing these 'oversights' during the summer.
    They are widening it because all school buses turning from Dr Mannix Rd onto Devon Park to collect the schoolkids from Taylors Hill could not turn into the new narrower junction. They can only take the turn when there are no cars leaving that junction onto Dr. Mannix Rd, but when school closes, that road is full of cars. Another fine example of wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dilallio wrote: »
    They are widening it because all school buses turning from Dr Mannix Rd onto Devon Park to collect the schoolkids from Taylors Hill could not turn into the new narrower junction. They can only take the turn when there are no cars leaving that junction onto Dr. Mannix Rd, but when school closes, that road is full of cars. Another fine example of wasted money.

A bit like the existing junction (hopefully to be removed) on the Monivea Rd, where the #3 tried to get onto the RAB. God they never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to SQR pls.
    For other issues - remember there is an Roads forum and an Infrastructure forum.

• Advertisement

They were busy laying down tarmac on the cycle paths this morning. Apart from the Lidl/Fine Wines junction, they're more or less there up as far as Shantalla, all they need to do really is put down the road markings. They're nowhere near being done between Shantalla and Fort Lorenzo though:(!

jkforde wrote: »
    In case people don't know...

Monday September 27, 2010 signals the commencement of the long awaited improvement works for the Bishop O' Donnell / Seamus Quirke Road. The expected completion date for the scheme is October 2011.l

That is the very first post in this thread.

They just passed the 18 month mark and not an inch of it is finished and open. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They just passed the 18 month mark and not an inch of it is finished and open. :)

At the risk of sound like a Joe Duffy caller, it's absolutely astounding that it has taken eighteen months to get this far. Did it take much longer to complete the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway?

When the road is eventually finished it is hard to see how much of an appreciable gain there will be for the everyday punter, certainly not worth the disturbance that has been caused.

It's sobering to think of how many businesses have been ruined and jobs lost as a result of this farce. At the end of the day no-one will be held accountable for this, that's the most frustrating fact of this entire debacle.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It the risk of sound like a Joe Duffy caller, it's absolutely astounding that it has taken eighteen months to get this far. Did it take much longer to complete the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway?

When the road is eventually finished it is hard to see how much of an appreciable gain there will be for the everyday punter, certainly not worth the disturbance that has been caused.

It's sobering to think of how many businesses have been ruined and jobs lost as a result of this farce. At the end of the day no-one will be held accountable for this, that's the most frustrating fact of this entire debacle.

A big +1 on this.

It sickens me to see the incompetance of Galway City Council. It sickens me even more that my, and everyone else's taxes, are funding this madness.

If this was any other council, heads would have rolled a long time ago! What makes it even worse is that they then gave Coffeys the contracts to remove two roundabouts (both of which had shocking delays tonight I might add) despite the farce with SQR/BOD road:mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

At the risk of sound like a Joe Duffy caller, it's absolutely astounding that it has taken eighteen months to get this far. Did it take much longer to complete the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway?

I'm Sorry but what businesses have closed because of these roadworks? And it is much easier to build a completely new road through fields than to make improvements to an existing road wile keeping traffic moving along it.

Of course the contractors should face penalties if the delays in construction are their fault and the council should be held responsible come election time for what is their fault.

The gain for your everyday punter would be in an improved bus service and hopefully less traffic because of this if the new road is used as it should be.

I know there is no guarantee of this but we can hope. Also if the proposed traffic management solution was put in place this would help the entire city, although there is some doubt of this happening since it seems the Menlo roundabout plans will not go ahead

Agree so much with this Ronnie. As someone who goes by SQR each day, I'm just astounded by how slow the work has been, how few people are working there, how obvious it is that the City Council haven't a clue (or are in denial) about completion dates, while putting them back almost every month.

And for what?

For me, as a cyclist for eight to ten months of the year, the road seems actually far more dangerous than it was.

The delays are way worse than they were under the old system, for cars.

It seems to be a case of so much pain for so little gain.

But the Council has 'previous' on cases like this, such as the revamp of Eyre Square, which seemed to go on for ages and was no better upon completion.

It's all a sick joke ... and the joke is on us who use the road each day.

You can walk faster along this road than drive during rush hour traffic most days. In fact even in the evenings traffic is a nightmare.

Galway badly needs a bypass. The removal of roundabouts will undoubtedly help with the traffic flow, but that could be put in jeopardy with what is going on in Menlo Park. Hopefully that won't stop them from removing the other big roundabouts in the city though, it's amazing how smoothly things run around Briarhill nowadays with that roundabout gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Of course the contractors should face penalties if the delays in construction are their fault and the council should be held responsible come election time for what is their fault.
    I would point out here that it is the city officials who are primarily responsible rather than the city councillors. They are unelected and unaccountable so there's little people can do here. The councillors of course have to take a portion of responsibility however the city officials will always just play the 'we'll lose the funding' card and the councillors will vote to tow the line. We suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

ciotog wrote: »
    I would point out here that it is the city officials who are primarily responsible rather than the city councillors. They are unelected and unaccountable so there's little people can do here. The councillors of course have to take a portion of responsibility however the city officials will always just play the 'we'll lose the funding' card and the councillors will vote to tow the line. We suffer the consequences.

Councillors and politicians in general who vote to tow the line should not be reelected simple as. If they are not thinking about what they are voting in and doing it for the good of all the people then people shouldn't vote for them. This is the only way anything will change in Galway or in Ireland as a whole

I'm Sorry but what businesses have closed because of these roadworks? And it is much easier to build a completely new road through fields than to make improvements to an existing road wile keeping traffic moving along it.

The gain for your everyday punter would be in an improved bus service and hopefully less traffic because of this if the new road is used as it should be.

I know there is no guarantee of this but we can hope. Also if the proposed traffic management solution was put in place this would help the entire city, although there is some doubt of this happening since it seems the Menlo roundabout plans will not go ahead

I read in the City Tribune months and months ago that businesses on the Shantalla side of the SQR were suffering hugely because of the roadworks, because motorists were unwillng or unable to turn down that way.

The owner / leaseholder of Subway had some frightening stats in terms of the per centage his business had gone down (sorry I don't have the link).

Businesses all around that area have closed (e.g. Xtravision and a food restaurant in the Westside SC and a bookie's on the other side of the road, plus the Mace on Shantalla Road).

While none of these, presumably, are exclusively related to the roadworks, the fact that the area has been dug up and experiencing trafffic delays for 18 months just has to be a factor.

I remain to be convinced that there will be any long-term gain at all for those of us who have to suffer the SQR on our way to and from work each day. In fact, as a cyclist it's actualy more dangerous than before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

celty wrote: »
    The owner / leaseholder of Subway had some frightening stats in terms of the per centage his business had gone down (sorry I don't have the link).

I can see where he's coming from. I drove past there this week coming home and I was really planning on getting a subway, only to find out that the left turn into aldi/subway was completely closed off... I could have taken the Shantalla road of course but I didn't. It's an extra barrier and for a sandwich sometimes that's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Yes, the bypass is the only thing that will solve Galway's traffic problem.

Careful guys, we're straying into dark territory here. There's a couple of threads regarding the status of the project and the perceived need/lack there of in roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daithiard

Just my silly 2 cents on the Business Closures, I managed one of the closed down business in Westside. The fall in footfall in the shps in the are fell enormously. In the shop I was working the average on a good day would have been a ten people, down fromer dozens. These shops are very reliant on pedestrian traffic from Corrib Park and Newcastle. Bar One, at least 3 other business in the park closed after the road works started. One or 2 other have also closed but these were because the parent company closed or downsized (Tom Dempseys and Xtravision). It wasn't just the works themselves but the poor state of the roads and paths from dirt, clay rubble etc that prevented people coming in, I was at several meeting with the council in which they promised to do something about it, so too the signage diversions. There has been some improvement but I knwo this was due to the threat of legal action by several businesses. the whole entreprise seemed to be very badly managed from start to not quite finished!

So how do I go about renaming this road and organising a day-long street carnival to celebrate its re-opening?

Shantalla junction closed off at the moment - they're busy digging up the road there and it looks like they're trying to level it up with the side of SQR that is already open as I speak:eek:!

daithiard wrote: »
    Just my silly 2 cents on the Business Closures, I managed one of the closed down business in Westside. The fall in footfall in the shps in the are fell enormously. In the shop I was working the average on a good day would have been a ten people, down fromer dozens. These shops are very reliant on pedestrian traffic from Corrib Park and Newcastle. Bar One, at least 3 other business in the park closed after the road works started. One or 2 other have also closed but these were because the parent company closed or downsized (Tom Dempseys and Xtravision). It wasn't just the works themselves but the poor state of the roads and paths from dirt, clay rubble etc that prevented people coming in, I was at several meeting with the council in which they promised to do something about it, so too the signage diversions. There has been some improvement but I knwo this was due to the threat of legal action by several businesses. the whole entreprise seemed to be very badly managed from start to not quite finished!

This post sums up so much of what is wrong with our City Council. They bring in measures which have a huge impact on people's lives and seem to have no accountability when people suffer, lose, or go out of business.

Shantalla junction closed off at the moment - they're busy digging up the road there and it looks like they're trying to level it up with the side of SQR that is already open as I speak:eek:!

Again, zero accountability and poor communications from the contractors.

I drove down Rahoon Road at 3pm. Returned around 7pm to find it closed off and had to divert via the juction at Sacred Heart Church. Not a sign of a sign earlier on today to give road users even a tiny indication that this road might be closing.

What a mess, but we've come to expect that after 18 months.

I doubt the corpo want to communicate to anybody on this project any more. They just want it to be over and to pay over the €16m. €1m for every 100 Metres of road.

They did mention that junction would be closing this weekend on the wireless since Tuesday. All the south-bound junctions need to be closed off at some point to allow work.
    Also they were working there until midnight and I presume an early start this morning.

• Advertisement

Ciaran Hayes was still claiming an April finish in the trib this week. Utterly ridiculous claim...they will be there another 2 months at least:-(

Advertisement