Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

snubbleste wrote: »
    They did mention that junction would be closing this weekend on the wireless since Tuesday. All the south-bound junctions need to be closed off at some point to allow work.
    Also they were working there until midnight and I presume an early start this morning.

We don't all listen to local radio. A few advance warning signs would have made some difference for daily users of SQR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ciaran Hayes was still claiming an April finish in the trib this week. Utterly ridiculous claim...they will be there another 2 months at least:-(

Lol tis true.
    He stated earlier that the section from the roundabout west to CircularRd junction will be open this weekend along with all the traffic lights on the stretch. Then rolling sections being opened over the following weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Lol tis true.
    He stated earlier that the section from the roundabout west to CircularRd junction will be open this weekend along with all the traffic lights on the stretch. Then rolling sections being opened over the following weeks.

In fairness, it is basically done as far as there. Although they'll still have to fix the wall by the Topaz and the Lidl junctions need to be sorted out as well, but if they made an effort until Thursday then there is no reason to believe that they can't open up as far as Shantalla anyway. They still have to lay down tarmac properly between Shantalla and Gleann Dara though, plus the side that's open needs to be resurfaced from Shantalla towards Fort Lorenzo. I actually sort of believe them on this one:eek:. Some sort of relief at last!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lol tis true.
    He stated earlier that the section from the roundabout west to CircularRd junction will be open this weekend along with all the traffic lights on the stretch.

Is Ciaran Hayes a pathological liar.??? :(

There is no way that the 4 sets of lights involved ( *Arch Motors, *Aldi/Old SQR, *Westside shopping centre and *Shantalla Road/Circular Road ) can be fully installed and tested and the road opened by this weekend.

They might get the bottom 3 sets working to some extent but the top one, nope!

2 of the 4 Sets of lights are complete but not tested ( Arch and Westside) and the other pair are only part installed.

You can listen to him yourself, it's in the first few minutes of today's programme. http://www.galwaynews.ie/podcasts/Keith-Finnegan-Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

There is no way that the 4 sets of lights involved ( *Arch Motors, *Aldi/Old SQR, *Westside shopping centre and *Shantalla Road/Circular Road ) can be fully installed and tested and the road opened by this weekend.

2 of the 4 Sets of lights are complete but not tested ( Arch and Westside) and the other pair are only part installed.

How long did it take to install and configure the new set on the QB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Gleann Dara junction blocked off all day. The unopened part between Shantalla and Gleann Dara is how people get in/out of Gleann Dara at the moment.

The final layer of tarmac is down all the way from Corrib Park to Shantalla junction.

The road markings were going down this evening. The traffic lights are all up (more have gone up at the Westside junction), I don't know anything about whether or not they're tested etc. Work still ongoing at the Lidl junction.

It may not be open to Gleann Dara by Friday, but seriously it basically done as far as Shantalla now, so they definitely should be able to open it as far as there by Friday anyway. They look like they're really cracking on with the works in order to have it opened by Friday I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I was driving down the road last night and saw a taxi driving up the blocked up side the builders must of forgot to close the barriers of id say at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Well, let's see ...

The project started in Oct 2010 and he said it would be ready in Oct 2011, then February, then March, then April, then ...

It was due to cost €9.4m and it's now up at well over €16m.

They haven't exactly been accurate so far, have they?

For the amount of pain endured by road users, the SQR would want to be some road when it is finally finished .... if we live to see the day

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

sqr partially opened now

• Advertisement

very%20happy.gifnd_112.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

MArkings not complete yet, Lots of people driving on the bus lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

paulgalway wrote: »

I had the full lane to myself cycling home this evening, no cars on it during rush hour, not even the Taxi's. Makes a nice bike lane, much better then the one they built.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

paulgalway wrote: »
    Pretty sure if the are no markings or signs to say it's a bus lane then it's not a bus lane yet.

How far up is it open and are all the lights working to that point???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

How far up is it open and are all the lights working to that point???

Looks to be open as far as Glean Dara. The lights are operational at Westside sc but not at Glean Dara. The bus lane markings are in on the southbound carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Looks to be open as far as Glean Dara. The lights are operational at Westside sc but not at Glean Dara. The bus lane markings are in on the southbound carriageway.

I'd nearly qualify that to open as far as the ESB/Rahoon-Shantalla Rd. It's a dug up mess right along the far side, all at the front of Glen Dara.
    Bit of an obstacle course again tonight!

I'm thankful to see any of it open, ever. :) Marking off the bus lanes will _largely_ protect the cyclists to the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I'm thankful to see any of it open, ever. :)Marking off the bus lanes will _largely_ protect the cyclists to the inside.

Plus majority of cyclists (especially roadies) will just use the bus lane. They wont bother with the Bus Chicanes and the cycle paths full of glass and grit.

Far as I know the builders holiday has started but I would be pleasantly surprised were they beavering away on this scheme next week. :)

• Advertisement

The cycle and footpaths on this road are lethal. Unbelievably there is a step up of about 7cm between the cycle path and footpath which is a perfect height to trip over a bike. I have heard of this happening to two people in the last three weeks, and it happened to me last weekend.

In my case I was approaching the hospital roundabout. A woman with a double buggy was waiting to cross the road - the buggy was big enough to take most of the cycle path whilst she was standing on the pedestrian path. I braked, but knew I wouldn't stop in time. There were two ways to avoid smacking into the buggy. 1 onto the road and into the cars which were flying by. 2 onto the footpath and behind the woman. I tried 2, but it was impossible to get the bike over the step-up and onto the footpath at that angle and I ended up on my ares.

At best this is thoughtless design, poor engineering or sloppy workmanship. It looks like that lip/step-up is most of the way along that road. It's present but much smaller on the quicentenial bridge and has never cause me bother.

Anybody know who, if anybody, I can contact in City Hall about trying to get the problem rectified?

197204.jpg

The elected City Council is due to consider a draft Walking and Cycling Strategy for the city and environs at their meeting on April 16th (Monday). They will be able to amend the document as well. (there is no draft on-line unfortunately)

If anyone feels the current design is dangerous and innappropriate for pedestrians and cyclists then now is a good time to make those views known to your local elected councillors. Complaining to the officials is sadly a waste of time mostly.

White lines and Lána Bus markings were painted today on the open section.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

White lines and Lána Bus markings were painted today on the open section.

Didn't stop a lot of twats skipping traffic by driving in the bus lanes though

There was a tailback at the westside turn (westbound) and people skipped inside that tailback (and out again) but otherwise I thought compliance was pretty OK today when I drove it. Especially as I saw no buses or cyclists at all and only one taxi.

You see the same sort of undertaking at the Renmore Park turn on the Dublin Road outbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

f1dan wrote: »
    Didn't stop a lot of twats skipping traffic by driving in the bus lanes though

In the absence of any bus lane information signs, it is legal to use a bus lane outside the interval 07:00-19:00 (source the RSA: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/buses.html)

DanielI wrote: »
    In the absence of any bus lane information signs, it is legal to use a bus lane outside the interval 07:00-19:00 (source the RSA: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/buses.html)

There might be a question over wether it is a bus/cycle lane or not in the absence of the blue signs. However, unless there is a time plate specifying otherwise - then it is a bus and cycle lane 24 hours a day.

sorry, but in the absence of any markings, its just another lane to drive in

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

There might be a question over wether it is a bus/cycle lane or not in the absence of the blue signs. However, unless there is a time plate specifying otherwise - then it is a bus and cycle lane 24 hours a day.

That is not true. The inbound bus lane on the Dublin Rd, starting at the junction with Doughiska is reserved 24hrs Mon-Sun as the info plate clearly states. If they want it reserved 24/7 they must put the sign up.

Anyway the RSA make the rules...

• Advertisement

DanielI wrote: »
    That is not true. The inbound bus lane on the Dublin Rd, starting at the junction with Doughiska is reserved 24hrs Mon-Sun as the info plate clearly states. If they want it reserved 24/7 they must put the sign up.

Anyway the RSA make the rules...

Yep in the legislation the prohibition on not entering seems to be expressed with reference to an information plate.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html
    32 (2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

However the RSA do not make the rules - the elected government make the rules - the RSA merely provide their own "perspective" on the rules.

Advertisement